BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-20-2006, 11:19 PM   #1
Harold
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z3 Coupe

BMW 2-series coupe (1-series coupe) photo impressions

Just for fun. The roof looks slightly too round/high to my eyes but I think the pic shows that the this shows that the 2er coupe could look pretty cool based on the current 1-series lines/size.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-21-2006, 07:38 AM   #2
propellerfan
Rep
Drives:

now thats the exact look and size I been looking for! The 3-series coupe looks too long and big to me now. I just want a stylish little BMW coupe that can perform like a proper bimmer and this looks exactly like what i had in mind!! I basically want a modern versino of my E30... BMW bring this soon plzzz.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2006, 07:56 PM   #3
Galligan
Private
Rep
Drives:

The high beltline works great on the coupe. I wouldnt be shocked if the actual one resembles this.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2006, 03:05 PM   #4
Will L.
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2003 Z4

Garage List
2001 Ducati 750 Sport  [0.00]
2003 Z4  [7.00]
Sign me up!

Why is it that photoshops always seem to look better to me than the actual cars when they arrive?

If they make anything that looks half this good, I'll write them a check.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2006, 07:53 AM   #5
Declan
Private
Rep
Drives:

Not sure how I missed this thread earlier but that is a beautiful looking compact coupe! Good thing is it's based loosely off a 1-series body already so the eventual 2-series coupe can't be that far off! (I hope )
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2006, 10:39 AM   #6
Harold
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Here's another.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-31-2006, 10:42 PM   #7
Harold
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

And another
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-01-2006, 10:48 AM   #8
bmwfreak
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

This last one is basicly the CS1 concept with a roof on it, which isnt bad but I believe the 2 series will follow the more natural lines that BMW has adopted with the E90 3-series. Just look at the upcoming 3-series coupe and M3 and it seems the 2 series will be a little more rounded then this concept picture, which would fit in more with the current 1-series and the 3-series designs.

Cars from the CS1 style of design are the Z4 and X3 which are a bit more angular and jagged.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2006, 11:57 AM   #9
Advevo
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, E30 M3 DTM

When do we see the first real spy pics.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2006, 01:51 PM   #10
kere
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: -

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwfreak
This last one is basicly the CS1 concept with a roof on it, which isnt bad but I believe the 2 series will follow the more natural lines that BMW has adopted with the E90 3-series. Just look at the upcoming 3-series coupe and M3 and it seems the 2 series will be a little more rounded then this concept picture, which would fit in more with the current 1-series and the 3-series designs.
I hope the nose of the coupe will have the same new look that 6-series and Z4 have.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2006, 08:25 AM   #11
Brookside
Major
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i M-Sport

Another photoshop - and a mild interpretation at that.

I agree with those of you who think the design and handling characteristics will be very aggressive.
Logically it would seem that BMW would be very precise in their thinking as to what exactly they want to accomplish with the 2-series...and to whom the car is targeted to appeal to.
Slotted in between the 1 & 3-series and carrying the "even-numbered" sports designation makes me think that the car will be a more progressive
interpretation of BMW's design philosophy-something that might be seen as polarising..perhaps not as daring as the Z4, but a bold visual statement
that takes design risks. At least I hope so- I sure don't want a smaller distillation of the 3-series nor a coupe version of the 1-series.

To me, this is a very important car for BMW- a chance to crystallize their current philosophy while reaching back to their heritage of small sporty coupes.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2006, 08:31 AM   #12
Declan
Private
Rep
Drives:

Brookside: thanks for sharing that, I think that coupe photoshop looks great!
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2006, 08:42 AM   #13
Brookside
Major
Rep

Glad you like it Declan- me...I'd like to see something a bit more daring >
truthfully, if the reality turns out to mirror this photoshop, I'll be a little disappointed. The design vocabulary here is starting to seem a little too safe and somewhat dated.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2006, 10:02 AM   #14
Declan
Private
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookside
truthfully, if the reality turns out to mirror this photoshop, I'll be a little disappointed. The design vocabulary here is starting to seem a little too safe and somewhat dated.
I see your point also. I guess we'll see if BMW decides to play it safe or not. If they play it safe on the design of the 2-series coupe, maybe it will be because they've gotten burned with the models that have been more radical in design (i.e. Z4).
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2006, 10:01 PM   #15
DTC
Rep
Drives:

Here's another angle of the photoshopped car posted by Brookside :w00t:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-07-2006, 11:47 PM   #16
kere
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: -

Nice
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2006, 12:57 AM   #17
LonghornTX
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
I am pretty much the exact opposite. I grew up with (and still own) BMWs that were much more conservative in their styling and I guess it is something that I have grown to like about the old cars w/ respect to the newer models (I have a modified e34 and would probaly never touch an e60 because of it). However, I am so crazy about BMW making a small coupe that however it will be designed will matter little to me .

P.S. It is nice to see this board come alive. It had been kinda slow :iono: .
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2006, 06:22 AM   #18
Brookside
Major
Rep

HusseinDesign's photoshops are just immaculate and very convincing.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2006, 09:25 AM   #19
Declan
Private
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornTX

It'll still be slow until BMW gives us more news about the 2er coupe :roundel:
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2006, 09:35 AM   #20
Brookside
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornTX
I am pretty much the exact opposite. I grew up with (and still own) BMWs that were much more conservative in their styling and I guess it is something that I have grown to like about the old cars w/ respect to the newer models (I have a modified e34 and would probaly never touch an e60 because of it). However, I am so crazy about BMW making a small coupe that however it will be designed will matter little to me .

Sort of Pre-Bangle/Post-Bangle viewpoints?

I grew up around German and Brit sports cars also.

I think BMW had to evolve into a new design vocabulary. I'm not a big fan of every car that BMW currently makes, but overall, the Bangle-era, I think has turned out to be a rich and wise choice by BMW.
There's a very detailed study conducted by BMW a few years ago that found that BMW was really selling cars to the same customers- the same demographics for each model, except in salary and age.
They came to the conclusion that if BMW were to target specific customer
characteristics for each car, while keeping the core performance aspect, they could capture a wider more eclectic audience...which they did.

Who the BMW 2-series is slotted at and designed for, is going to be instantly apparent when it debuts. This is their call.
I'm sure they've researched this until there's absolutely quantifiable distinctions in how open and daring the car will be and if the car's aggressive performance is matched by it's design.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2006, 07:38 PM   #21
LonghornTX
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Declan
It'll still be slow until BMW gives us more news about the 2er coupe :roundel:
Compared to what the site had been like in previous weeks and months though, this is an avalanche. I remember times when it would go weeks without any traffic....:iono: . But now it is hopping :headbang: .
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2006, 07:46 PM   #22
LonghornTX
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Sort of Pre-Bangle/Post-Bangle viewpoints?

I grew up around German and Brit sports cars also.

I think BMW had to evolve into a new design vocabulary. I'm not a big fan of every car that BMW currently makes, but overall, the Bangle-era, I think has turned out to be a rich and wise choice by BMW.
There's a very detailed study conducted by BMW a few years ago that found that BMW was really selling cars to the same customers- the same demographics for each model, except in salary and age.
They came to the conclusion that if BMW were to target specific customer
characteristics for each car, while keeping the core performance aspect, they could capture a wider more eclectic audience...which they did.

Who the BMW 2-series is slotted at and designed for, is going to be instantly apparent when it debuts. This is their call.
I'm sure they've researched this until there's absolutely quantifiable distinctions in how open and daring the car will be and if the car's aggressive performance is matched by it's design.
I definately agree BMW needed a new design vocabulary to stay fresh. I just wish sometimes that Bangle had not used some of the more extreme styling elements that he employed. Infact, of his most extreme, early designs, the only one I would really want is the Z4. The others will not age all that well in my opinion. Heck, my E34 (though lowered with more modern M-contour replicas) gets comments by people thinking I drive a 5-7 year old BMW (obviously not car types) when in reality it is coming up on 17 years old. But, I do like the more constrained look employed by the E90 and E92.

The E87 is alright looking, but from certain angles it does not appeal to me, though it must be said that HB's are not my favorite body stlye in general....

The 2-series (or whatever it will be called) would have to look really bad though for me not to want one.
Appreciate 0