BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-28-2007, 09:16 AM   #1
Séve
Private
Rep
Drives: 128i ZSP

M Sports Package for 128i...?

I'm sorry to detract from this exciting time for everyone; I'm giddy as well. But anyway, does anyone know if the M Sports Package will be offered for the 128i?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2007, 09:20 AM   #2
WolfsburgerMitFries
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 3er

Agreed, I'd like to see 6 piston brake calipers on a 128i M sport. Or any other version.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2007, 09:20 AM   #3
Brookside
Major
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Séve View Post
I'm sorry to detract from this exciting time for everyone; I'm giddy as well. But anyway, does anyone know if the M Sports Package will be offered for the 128i?

Thanks!
You can't tell it from reading the press release, but I suspect it will be available.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2007, 12:11 PM   #4
Séve
Private
Rep
Drives: 128i ZSP

Thank you, Brookside. Hopefully, it will because I just don't know if I can afford the 135i quite yet. College isn't cheap. ;-)
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2007, 12:33 PM   #5
spudw
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i

It appears this will be the case for lower models in the UK:

The BMW 120d Coupé will be available in ES, SE and M Sport guises, while the 123d Coupé will be offered in SE and M Sport and the 135i Coupé just as an M Sport. M Sport raises the specification bar by including 17-inch light alloy wheels on the 120d and 123d Coupé but unique 18-inch light alloy wheels on the 135i Coupé, M Aerodynamic package, M Sports suspension, Sports seats, High-gloss Shadowline exterior trim, M leather steering wheel, M designation door sills and Anthracite headlining.

The NA press release only says:
"On the 135i Coupe, an M Aerodynamic Kit is standard." Which implies it could be an option for other models. It goes on later to describe the M Sport package as it is included on the 135i.

I believe M sport has been made available in the past in NA on E46 325ci and other models that do not necessary have the premium engines.

I'm hopeful... the 128i M Sport is what I'll be targeting...
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2007, 01:05 PM   #6
ghotman906
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by spudwest View Post
I'm hopeful... the 128i M Sport is what I'll be targeting...
+1! I'm also seeking the 128i M Sport =)
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2007, 04:42 PM   #7
Big Red One
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Count me as one who will look seriously at a 128i.

And I guess this is a good opportunity to introduce myself since I didn't have a chance when I made my first couple of posts amid the excitement yesterday.

Currently driving a truck, but ready to get back to a car. The Volvo C30 (my grandparents had a P1800 hatch that I LOVED) and the 1er got my attention about six months ago, and I have been pretty resolved to waiting for those two cars. Then I read a Canadian review of the C30 a couple months back......and now the 1er is in a one car race.

I did seriously consider an E90 328 a few months ago, but decided to just wait on the 1. The official PR pictures have made me ecstatic that I did wait. The Spring of 2008 cannot get here fast enough. Here's to hoping you can do Euro Delivery on the 1ers.

Just out of curiosity, how many others are considering the 128i? It's not about money for me - I almost bought a 328i, and if you can afford a 328i you can afford the 135i. But I've always been somewhat of a "simpler is better" kind of guy. I'm not real big on blazing top speed or winning the stoplight wars. Yes, I'd like a sufficient amount of torque to be able to feel acceleration, especially out of corners, but Handling and tossability are what matter most to me. I felt like the 230HP mill had plenty of torque in the 328i to satisfy my acceleration needs, so I figure it would have plenty of poop in the 128i.

I figure I'll leave the potential for turbo/fuel pump problems for the others and have fun zipping around town in my 128i with Sport Package.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2007, 05:39 PM   #8
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i/AW E90 M3

I'm almost positive a 128i will be offered with the M package. I 128i is going to be a blast to drive also. I mean a 328i beat a 300hp G35 in a CarandDriver comparo a few months back. A 128i should be quick to.(the 328i did 60 in 6.1) I'd imagine the 128i to do it in less than 6 seconds.
      06-28-2007, 07:48 PM   #9
imported_tdc
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Typically, the sport packages differed between the models in a series.

The E46 325Ci Sport package included the sport seats and a different style of rim from it's non-Sport package sibling.

The E46 330Ci Sport package included the sport seats and yet another style of rim.

All coupes already had sport suspension and the sport steering wheel standard.

My guess is that BMW will follow suit with the 1-series and its respective M-Sport packages.
      06-29-2007, 02:44 AM   #10
LonghornTX
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrsites View Post
Count me as one who will look seriously at a 128i.

And I guess this is a good opportunity to introduce myself since I didn't have a chance when I made my first couple of posts amid the excitement yesterday.

Currently driving a truck, but ready to get back to a car. The Volvo C30 (my grandparents had a P1800 hatch that I LOVED) and the 1er got my attention about six months ago, and I have been pretty resolved to waiting for those two cars. Then I read a Canadian review of the C30 a couple months back......and now the 1er is in a one car race.

I did seriously consider an E90 328 a few months ago, but decided to just wait on the 1. The official PR pictures have made me ecstatic that I did wait. The Spring of 2008 cannot get here fast enough. Here's to hoping you can do Euro Delivery on the 1ers.

Just out of curiosity, how many others are considering the 128i? It's not about money for me - I almost bought a 328i, and if you can afford a 328i you can afford the 135i. But I've always been somewhat of a "simpler is better" kind of guy. I'm not real big on blazing top speed or winning the stoplight wars. Yes, I'd like a sufficient amount of torque to be able to feel acceleration, especially out of corners, but Handling and tossability are what matter most to me. I felt like the 230HP mill had plenty of torque in the 328i to satisfy my acceleration needs, so I figure it would have plenty of poop in the 128i.

I figure I'll leave the potential for turbo/fuel pump problems for the others and have fun zipping around town in my 128i with Sport Package.
Welcome .
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2007, 11:47 AM   #11
jt328i
Private
Rep
Drives: 2000 328i

I've pretty much decided on a 128i myself. I'm currently driving a E46 328i sedan with a true 2.8L displacement and it's adequate for me. You can always use a little more horsepower and I think the N52 3.0L will deliver that (especially with the presumably lower weight of the 128i compared to the 328i). Like others have said, it's not about the raw horsepower for me, it's the whole package: looks, interior design, handling, braking, steering feel, and one you don't hear about much, the sound and feel of the engine. I love the inline-six (I6) sound and feel and I've read how the M52 in my 328i lacks the revability of other BMW I6 engines especially the N52, so I can't wait to get a N52 128i.

What are other people's thoughts on engine sound and revability. My other car (a 95 Integra) has an 1.8L inline-4 and I still love the way it sounds and revs. I just wish it had that and more displacemnt. Nobody builds a better I4 than the Japanese. You always read in the car magazine reviews how the engine in a car sounds like an F1 car. What do you think comes closest to the sound and feel of a modern F1 engine? I've also read that the N54 TT doesn't have the traditional BMW I6 sound and feel. What are some thoughts of people who own or have driven one? I guess what would fit the bill for me in terms of having great revalibity and good power throughout the rev range would be the S85 V-10 engine in the M5/M6 with 507HP and an 8250 redline, but that's of course cause it's based on the BMW F1 engine. Anyways that's too rich for my blood, what comes closest for someone on a mortal's budget?
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2007, 12:12 PM   #12
Devon K
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: TBD

To get closest to F1 on sound alone, I'd take a look at the RX-8. It revs to 9000 RPM, and both inboard and outboard sound when the car is in road-racing getup is incredible....
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2007, 12:20 PM   #13
WolfsburgerMitFries
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 3er

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt328i View Post
I've also read that the N54 TT doesn't have the traditional BMW I6 sound and feel. What are some thoughts of people who own or have driven one?
I think you've made a lot of really good points. People are estimating the 128i to have a 0-60 of around 6.1 seconds. That's plenty fast. Really, the only reason the N54 exists is as a knee-jerk reaction to the the European horsepower wars. I've never been a fan of the excessive heat turbos produce, or the huge repair bills they have when turbos fail. BMW has traditionally (and wisely) avoided turbos, and I think that the N54 would have not been built had BMW not been backed into a corner by the 6.3L AMG engines, and Audis' RS4 V8 (which is a brilliant piece of work by the way). I also think its bordering on irresponsible for auto manufacturers to offer all sorts of cars that do sub-6 second 0-60 times to people who are not wize or responsible enough to know how and when to operate such a machine.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2007, 12:58 PM   #14
Deutsch
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

On the M kit available on the 128i:
Quote:
Originally Posted by myself View Post
Good luck to those of you hoping to get the M sport package as apart of the deal stateside. BMW NA product planners aren't bright enough to make this an offering to us Bimmerphiles in the U.S. More likely than not, the M sport package will be apart of the accessories equipment offered for the 1er coupe/convertible. Bummer.
As for the sound, the N54 really doesn't sound that much different from any other BMW I6, just a little flat. I've heard some say it sounds like an Infiniti G35, but the similarity is vague to me. But there are plenty of sound bites around if you want to take a listen. Punch in "335i exhaust" in a youtube search.

Reliability on the other hand, is something both BMW and the market is still learning with the N54, BMW has been out of the turbo game for sometime and this is a new attempt. From what I've read and what I know to be true of new engines(N54 in particular) is that it's probably a good idea to wait it out; Fuel pump issues(seemed to have been cured by a new fuel pump supplier), engine oil temps running extremely high, and even a few turbo's going out prematurely. If it were me I'd probably still take the risk, because of the N54's performance and character(that will come at no doubt, a bargain). I'm sure over time with updates and improvements the N54 will prove to be a worthy, reliable, road running companion.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2007, 01:51 PM   #15
jt328i
Private
Rep
Drives: 2000 328i

One more thing... if BMW NA follows its pattern, the 128i will get the black window trim and the 135i will get the chrome window tirm. Based on the posts i've seen so far, it seems we're probably divided right now the middle on who likes black (or the high-gloss black shadowline) and who likes chrome.

I like the chrome myself but I'm looking at getting the 128i, so I'm afraid I'm going to get black. Why doesn't BMW NA make this option or just make it the same for all models (at least if I knew if wasn't available, I could live with it). All I know is if it comes in black, I'm going to change it to chrome. Has any other obsessive-compulsive changed their window trim. Is it hard to do or should it be left to the professionals? Is it expensive?
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2007, 02:06 PM   #16
Deutsch
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt328i View Post
One more thing... if BMW NA follows its pattern, the 128i will get the black window trim and the 135i will get the chrome window tirm. Based on the posts i've seen so far, it seems we're probably divided right now the middle on who likes black (or the high-gloss black shadowline) and who likes chrome.

I like the chrome myself but I'm looking at getting the 128i, so I'm afraid I'm going to get black. Why doesn't BMW NA make this option or just make it the same for all models (at least if I knew if wasn't available, I could live with it). All I know is if it comes in black, I'm going to change it to chrome. Has any other obsessive-compulsive changed their window trim. Is it hard to do or should it be left to the professionals? Is it expensive?
You could probably get the chrome window trim from the dealer or an aftermarket/OEM supplier. I'd recommend finding someone you know personally that works on cars before you think about getting the trim installed by the dealer, because chances are labor is going to be expensive to have it installed.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2007, 08:19 PM   #17
C230AMG
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i

Would love to see this option available, not planning to get the 135i even though I love the M body kit, M sport seats, M steering wheel and headliner treatment.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2007, 09:16 PM   #18
DimaGt
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

The funny thing is that e92 3 series Still do not have M package available in America. So how long do you guys think it will take BMW NA to release M package for 128?
Maybe 3-4 years after its release?
These guys at BMW NA should all get fired and guys like us should work there.....
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2007, 06:38 AM   #19
woj
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

The issue is not only whether they will offer a M package for the 128i, but will it include the brakes as on the 135i. I don't need the styling packing from BMW, I do need some decent brakes....
Appreciate 0