BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-08-2007, 09:51 AM   #1
Big Red One
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Article About BMW and the Leipzig Plant

Article is more about the "business side" of BMW, but interesting nonetheless. Especially for those of us who find the manufacturing process intriguing.

Time Magazine: BMW Drives Germany
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2007, 10:09 AM   #2
atr_hugo
No longer moderate
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

Good find, thanks!!
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2007, 10:51 AM   #3
Brookside
Major
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i M-Sport

BMW Drives Germany-
great article. Thanks.

"The new BMW is in some ways symbolic of the resurgent German economy. Pretax earnings last year rose 25%, to $5.5 billion, despite the soaring cost of raw materials and the strong euro. It has easily outpaced its historic rival, Mercedes (part of DaimlerChrysler), to become the leading premium-car brand.
BMW has mastered the manufacturing fine art called mass customization: no two cars rolling through its assembly lines on any given day are identical. Its factories can cope with a model changeover during the course of a weekend without work stoppages. Detroit would take weeks."

from the TIME article
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2007, 04:17 PM   #4
Flugtechnik
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 325i

Good article.

I recently had the pleasure to tour the Spartanburg plant (before they stopped public tours so they could start building the new model, X3?) and it was amazing. X5s and Z4s coming down the same line. The assemblers just pulled the parts for the next car out of the bins that were already stacked in order for them. They could theoretically roll in any new model without much disruption of the line.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2007, 05:34 PM   #5
SCA
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Multiple BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flugtechnik View Post
Good article.

I recently had the pleasure to tour the Spartanburg plant (before they stopped public tours so they could start building the new model, X3?) and it was amazing. X5s and Z4s coming down the same line. The assemblers just pulled the parts for the next car out of the bins that were already stacked in order for them. They could theoretically roll in any new model without much disruption of the line.

The Greer tour is great! When the plant first opened in 1994 it had only one line then later added two lines (1st Gen X5 & Z3). Within past year or two they converted back to one line. The new model that will be built there is the X6.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2007, 07:55 PM   #6
Flugtechnik
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 325i

It was amazing to see the logistics that go on behind the scenes. My brother-in-law actually works there as one of the "permatemps" mentioned in the article. No wonder the line moves so well...No unions. I've seen quite a few unionized aircraft assembly lines. Those guys are so SLOW! Always sitting around.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2007, 08:04 PM   #7
Brookside
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flugtechnik View Post
It was amazing to see the logistics that go on behind the scenes. My brother-in-law actually works there as one of the "permatemps" mentioned in the article. No wonder the line moves so well...No unions. I've seen quite a few unionized aircraft assembly lines. Those guys are so SLOW! Always sitting around.
The TIME article makes the permatemp positions seem like they're being screwed out of full wages, saying that essentially they get 1/2 the pay and benefits of BMW union members.
Sounds like a raw deal.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2007, 08:41 PM   #8
atr_hugo
No longer moderate
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

BMW as WalMart in the eyes of IG Metall? ; -)
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2007, 10:01 PM   #9
deanr
Rep
Drives: Boxster S

"Cloth seats or leather? Sunroof or spoiler?"

The last minute customization is great, unless you happen live in the U.S. Here there's no choice -- no cloth seats and mandatory sunroof. For me, the 1er will be a no-go unless I can delete the sunroof, as there's not much room inside.

Either the cloth or the cloth/leather combo seats available in Europe would be preferable to vinyl or leather here during periods of 90-100 degree heat and oppressive humidity with marginal German A/C. The only leather seats that are as comfortable as cloth in hot weather are ventillated seats, available for more than $4000 extra on the 5-series. Maybe BMW eventually will offer them on the 1 and 3-series, as they're a $1290 option on the Lexus IS.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2007, 12:25 AM   #10
morgenmuffel
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex2002 View Post
The last minute customization is great, unless you happen live in the U.S. Here there's no choice -- no cloth seats and mandatory sunroof. For me, the 1er will be a no-go unless I can delete the sunroof, as there's not much room inside.
Why no love for the sunroof? I understand a coupé is more rigid than a convertible, but what's the logic behind specifically wanting a sunroof excluded? Possible money savings? And this from a Boxster/convertible owner. I've always had sunroofs so I can't imagine a vehicle without one. Just confused here.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2007, 06:35 AM   #11
Brookside
Major
Rep

Quote:
"Cloth seats or leather? Sunroof or spoiler?"

Either the cloth or the cloth/leather combo seats available in Europe would be preferable to vinyl or leather here during periods of 90-100 degree heat and oppressive humidity with marginal German A/C. The only leather seats that are as comfortable as cloth in hot weather are ventillated seats, available for more than $4000 extra on the 5-series. Maybe BMW eventually will offer them on the 1 and 3-series, as they're a $1290 option on the Lexus IS.

Not much room? Check out the photo...ex-F1 driver Hans Stuck's 6'3' frame seems to leave plenty headroom.
"Marginal German A/C"....go drive a BMW, the A/C is as good, if not better, than most Japanese makers. Maybe your boxster couldn't keep up with the heat, but there's no problem in a BMW.
:biggrin:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-09-2007, 07:47 AM   #12
alex2364
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 ZCP / 2023 X3 M40i

Garage List
2020 BMW M4  [10.00]
2023 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by morgenmuffel View Post
Why no love for the sunroof? I understand a coupé is more rigid than a convertible, but what's the logic behind specifically wanting a sunroof excluded? Possible money savings? And this from a Boxster/convertible owner. I've always had sunroofs so I can't imagine a vehicle without one. Just confused here.
There are many reasons why people don't want a sunroof in a car. It adds weight and complexity. It also reduces head room and rigidity. Of course these people are in the minority.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2007, 02:22 AM   #13
earemike
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
...with marginal German A/C.
My air cond works great (I'm down under and it does get warm), my car was delivered with the comfort windscreen which is supposed to help.

I'd rate the air cond above the australian made cars I've had.

May i suggest the comfort windscreen to you?
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2007, 11:23 AM   #14
kutch
Private
Rep
Drives:

I remember trying to find an e36 w/o a sunroof was not the easiest thing to do.
The Sunroof raises the CG of the car, adds weight(again in the worst possible place), reduced the head room by ~1.5"...

But from what I've read the 1 is taller than the 3 series by a few inches???
So it may not be an issue for most (if your talking just headroom).

If you are going to be tracking the car on a regular basis (SCCA or similar) you may want to opt out of the sunroof...?

Kutch
Appreciate 0