BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-11-2007, 01:22 PM   #1
dkl2001
Rep
Drives:

General ordering question

How does the ordering process work? I have my mind set on a few different colors, but do I get to pick since this is the first shipment? Do they just send what they feel like sending and dealers sell what they receive? Somebody school me up on this!!

Dave
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2007, 01:32 PM   #2
dna550
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Dave,

Once BMW North America and BMW AG get the 135i setup in their computerized order system, your dealer will be able to build the car to your specification, with the limitation that you can only order what is available for the North American market.

BMW will likely ship a couple of cars to each dealer early on so that demonstrators are available, these could be available in late 2007. Some dealers might be tempted to sell either of these two cars to customers.

The dealer will get an allocation of 135i's and they will configure them fully equipped, if they do not have firm customer orders. So customer ordered cars and dealer ordered cars will arrive on the same early shipments based on what customer ordered cars were in the system by the cutoff date for builds designated for the first shipments to North America.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkl2001 View Post
How does the ordering process work? I have my mind set on a few different colors, but do I get to pick since this is the first shipment? Do they just send what they feel like sending and dealers sell what they receive? Somebody school me up on this!!

Dave
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2007, 06:44 AM   #3
Brookside
Major
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i M-Sport

DNA's reply is correct, except we'll be seeing the 1-er in late March-early April 2007. This is confirmed by everything I've read here and the press and been told by my dealer. Look for the date to be finalized in September at the Los Angeles Auto Show or the Frankfurt Auto show when BMW will officially debut the car.

If you are serious about being among the first to own a 1-er you should contact your dealer right away. Once the official US dealer brochure is available (no doubt it'll appear here early on 1addicts as a pdf file) you can pretty much begin the ordering process.

One thing, you can also begin negotiations- your dealer doesn't have the base msrp nor details on which finance pkgs available on introduction, but you can establish some ground rules -
money down (you don't have to- your dealer might say you do, but you don't) and are they going to charge you full msrp? Common sense items.

Appreciate 0
      07-17-2007, 10:16 PM   #4
joelk
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Space Gray E90 M3

another borderline stupid question from someone completely new to this:

I plan on saving through late february of next year to amass a substantial down-payment. Since the debut is scheduled for late March, would there be any reason for dealers to want me to cough up the down-payment or any other sums prior to that time? (i.e. late march?)

I basically want to put down my deposit now to get on the waitlist but not pay any more until february or march. doable?

thank you!
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2007, 05:41 PM   #5
dkl2001
Rep
Drives:

I think I pretty much pulled the trigger on waiting out on a steal deal for a 335 or used e46 m3 next year. I think the idea that the 1 could theoretically fit inside a Mazda 3 shell pushed me over the edge, as i thought those cars were too small

Joelk you shouldnt have to put anything on it if you get in early, but demand argues for dollars. You could always sell your spot in line too if the demand heats up and you change your mind. Just a thought
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2007, 05:48 PM   #6
joelk
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Space Gray E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkl2001 View Post
I think I pretty much pulled the trigger on waiting out on a steal deal for a 335 or used e46 m3 next year. I think the idea that the 1 could theoretically fit inside a Mazda 3 shell pushed me over the edge, as i thought those cars were too small

Joelk you shouldnt have to put anything on it if you get in early, but demand argues for dollars. You could always sell your spot in line too if the demand heats up and you change your mind. Just a thought
man i'm spending way too much time on this forum. i've become obsessed with this car. lol.

check out this thread before you write it off completely:
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=764
Appreciate 0