BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-05-2007, 01:18 PM   #1
Em_What?
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

Are first year BMWs usually reliable?

I don't have any experience with BMW's cars so i would like to know if the first year models are usually reliable?

thx
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2007, 01:28 PM   #2
x7original4x
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i

well it depends....if your worried about the 135i......the 1 series has been out for some time in europe and the 135i is using the n54 which is already in the 335i, at first it had problems with the high pressure fuel pump and also going into limp mode because some of the cars didnt have a second oil cooler, but i believe that is all being taken care of
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2007, 01:31 PM   #3
Panda J
Rep
Drives:

Lets hope so, cause I cant wait for the second year batch!
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2007, 01:37 PM   #4
atr_hugo
No longer moderate
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

The good thing about this car is that the 1 series hatch has been available since 2004. Based on what we've found on the piece-parts of the vehicle (steering systems, brakes, engines, tranmsissions, software) it appears that this is all pre-existing pieces on the hatch or other BMWs (the N54B30 3.0L engine is in the 335i for example). They intend to 'improve steering feel' on the 135i electric rack (according to an interview with BMW in Car). I suspect the body shape is the biggest new thing on the car.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2007, 02:02 PM   #5
SCA
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Multiple BMWs

It varies per model and what options it is equipped with. I-Drive and BMW Assist/BT BMWs tend to have more SW issues.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2007, 02:14 PM   #6
x7original4x
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUltimateDriver View Post
It varies per model and what options it is equipped with. I-Drive and BMW Assist/BT BMWs tend to have more SW issues.
yea...you dont hear good things about the iDrive....i think i have only read one person saying that they like it
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2007, 02:17 PM   #7
imported_rafaramirez
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

yeah, even though it's a new model in the U.S. this coupe uses existing pieces/engine/technology... I'm not afraid AT ALL if it comes from BMW

Have You Seen 1t?
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2007, 12:33 AM   #8
menotakoala
Future Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: Civic Si Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by x7original4x View Post
yea...you dont hear good things about the iDrive....i think i have only read one person saying that they like it
That person would be me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honda Motor Co.
Dear Joe, unfortunately, our service technicians were unable to reproduce the problem that you mentioned. Therefore, we will be unable to perform any work that you claim is necessary. We apologize for the inconvenience.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2007, 01:48 AM   #9
Panda J
Rep
Drives:

so whats the real problem with i drive?
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2007, 02:05 AM   #10
menotakoala
Future Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: Civic Si Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda J View Post
so whats the real problem with i drive?
I guess people don't like the fact that you can't input destinations while driving and that it's complicated for some.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honda Motor Co.
Dear Joe, unfortunately, our service technicians were unable to reproduce the problem that you mentioned. Therefore, we will be unable to perform any work that you claim is necessary. We apologize for the inconvenience.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2007, 09:46 AM   #11
x7original4x
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by menotakoala View Post
That person would be me.
haha i found you! hey i haven't tried it out so i have no idea why people dont like it....maybe its just that people like to complain?:iono: or maybe it really sucks but you like the challenge....
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2007, 10:18 AM   #12
imported_tdc
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Typically, first year models always have bugs that still need to get worked out. This holds true for ALL makes not just BMW. It's just the nature of the business.

As for the 1-series, it's technically a new model but essentially not. The 1-series has been around for 3 years outside of the North American market and it's safe to say most, if not all, of the bugs have been worked out. The engines have been around at least a year and the bugs associated with them have also been worked out for the most part.

So in reality, despite the coupes being "new" models they're nothing more than pre-existing 1-series with new bodies.
      08-06-2007, 10:41 AM   #13
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

I love my iDrive. After the hour, or so, it takes to pretty much master it, you're good to go. Voice command makes it a total no-brainer, easy to use for me too.

I've had no issues with any of my recent past 3 new BMWs, since 1998. That includes two e46's and one e90. All have worked incredibly well, with one exception. I had to have the rear differential replaced on my former 2002 330i, under warranty, but I think that was because of all the track days and autocross action it saw, including an entire dual driver season of use.
I was not stranded with that car either, since the rear-end was just making a little noise when I brought it in.

Prior to that, I've had no major issues with any of my four prior BMWs that preceded the e46's, other than with my frankenstein of a 318ti with an M3 motor in it. I recently had a nut from the oil pump fall off, which caused it to stop pumping oil. After research, that was an extremely common problem for the S52 motor, and a lot of people seized their engines because of it. Luckily, I did not.

As tdc points out, the 1er is not a new model, and the motors employed in it are certainly not new either. So, the majority of the issues with a new model should already be worked out.
Appreciate 0