BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-06-2007, 05:47 PM   #1
Klinn
Private
Rep
Drives:

Question What Nice Sticky Tires Available For 135i?

I like to do some Solo2 events, and if I get a 135i Coupe then I’ll want to run some nice sticky tires. However, I’m not hardcore enough to get a separate set of wheels with V710s or Hoosiers. I want something that is streetable (just barely) but stickier than Azenis’ or similar. Tire wear is not an issue, I don’t put on too many miles in a year.

To give an example, back on my old 944, I found Toyo RA1’s to be an ideal compromise for me. Not as sticky as V710’s etc but I didn’t have to worry about transporting and changing wheels. Because of the small tread blocks, I usually had them shaved to about half depth. They were good for occasional lapping sessions too.

The question is -- what will be available for the 135? The stock tire sizes are 215/40-18 and 245/35-18 on 7.5” and 8.5” wide wheels (are those widths correct?). Hopefully I’ll be able to balance that out a bit better by fitting something like a 235/40-18 at the front (2.5% bigger circumference). Some possibilities:

Toyo RA1’s: closest available is a 245/40-18, gets costly in the larger diameters.
Toyo R888’s: don’t seem to be available in Canada, closest is a 245/40-18 again.
Nitto NT01’s: closest is a 245/40-18 again, hmmm, starting to see a pattern...
Yoko A048’s: good track tire, but takes too long to warm up for Solo2.
Pirelli P-Zero Corsa’s: seriously expensive.

Know of any other options?

I hope there is something suitable out there. I’ve already got one car that uses an odd size (Miata with its 205/45-16s) and it’s a pain not being able to find the right tire that will fit.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2007, 08:13 PM   #2
amdmaxx
My gift Registry: M2
United_States
Rep
Drives: Future Mowner of Monster

Bridgestone Potenza S3 Pole position, Michelin Pilot Sport 2 or Good Year Eagle F1
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2007, 02:19 PM   #3
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

If you want road tires that you can use for autocross, there are three HOT tires right now.

Falken Azenis ST615
Yoko Advan Neova AD07
Bridgestone RE-01R

If you look at street tire classes for Solo2 events, all three finish at the top of the classes, with a lean towards the Yokos. All of these have tires that will fit the 135i nicely.

I'll prob go with a set of 18" DForce LTW5's (18x9.5) and 255/35/18s (unless the 265/35/18 fit) all around in either the RE-01R or the Neovas, which I currently run.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2007, 03:34 PM   #4
Klinn
Private
Rep
Drives:

Thanks for the suggestions, but not quite as sticky as I'm looking for.

Azenis 615's -- got them on my Miata right now.
Yoko Neova AD07's -- got them on my E46 right now.

Both are nice for street tires, but they don't have the grip of RA1's. The others mentioned are also not quite as sticky as what I'm hoping to find.

The Solo2 regs are a little different up in Canada, we don't really have the new-ish street tire classes like the SCCA does. With something like the RA1's, I know I won't be as fast as folks on the hot R-compounds (V710s/Hoosiers) but I'm not looking for wins, just more fun than the street tires can provide. :biggrin:

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryn
If you want road tires that you can use for autocross...
I'm kinda going the other way -- looking for autocross tires that I can (just barely) use on the road.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2007, 04:26 PM   #5
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klinn View Post
I'm kinda going the other way -- looking for autocross tires that I can (just barely) use on the road.
Then you only have few choices. RA1s are not one of them. They suck on the autocross course, and the Advans will likely outperform them. They just don't heat up on a 80 second run.

Kumho V700 (which are only avail up to 17")
and
Yokohama A048
and
Pirelli PZeroCorsa System

Really, all three are sketchy as for using on the road... and are a compromise for either usage. I would highly suggest getting another set of wheels and true R compounds (Hoosier A6's or Kumho V710's). There really is nothing out there that I would want for dual purpose.

BUT, who knows, maybe something will come out by next spring??
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2007, 07:52 PM   #6
bimmer_fan
SF KREW
Rep
Drives:

certainly the tires that come from factory should be sufficient enough. they're probably going to run out by 15k because they're going to be so sticky.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2007, 02:32 AM   #7
Driv3r
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 E46 M3 ZCP

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Goodyear Eagle F1's FTMFW!!!

^^^Trust me soo sticky, you will regret it...
      08-14-2007, 04:55 PM   #8
mikeo
Santa Fe Concorso
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 M-sport 328i, '13 X1 28i

Klinn,
So you're looking for r-comp suggestions, eh? Well if you want sticky and don't care about wear go for the Hoosier A6 or Kumho V710 in 245x35-18, BFGoodrich g-Force R1 in 265x35-18, or if you think you can stuff them under the fenders, any of the above in 285x30-18.
      08-14-2007, 09:02 PM   #9
ducati
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klinn View Post
With something like the RA1's, I know I won't be as fast as folks on the hot R-compounds (V710s/Hoosiers) but I'm not looking for wins, just more fun than the street tires can provide. :biggrin:

100% honesty: R compounds don't make a car more fun to drive. They simply change the limit of adhesion. You won't even be conscious of anything different that you are conscious of now; you'll simply adjust your braking points and corner entry speeds to the new level of grip.

I will repeat: R compounds are NO MORE FUN than hot street tires.

You will have better lap times, though you said you're not chasing that.

That said, if you're dead set on trying some, do yourself a favor and buy an extra set of rims. Don't compromise. Summer stickies for the street, r compounds for the track. It's really not that big of a deal to switch at the track.

I ran autocross for 2 seasons and have been around circuits numerous times (much preferring the latter, honestly). The most fun for the buck, IMO, is HPDE events on summer street rubber. By far, no contest. I burned R compounds at a few track days, and I can't honestly say i had any more fun at all, and they sure wear faster. Although the face of "VADER" the 911 Turbo poser who I lapped 3 times in one 30 minute session with an ITR on R's... Yeah, that might have been worth it

Enjoy!
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2007, 09:42 PM   #10
ibeam81
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 EBII M235i, 2004 Acura TL

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducati View Post
Although the face of "VADER" the 911 Turbo poser who I lapped 3 times in one 30 minute session with an ITR on R's... Yeah, that might have been worth it
LOL... More proof that a fast car doesn't make for a fast or particularly good driver. :wink:
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2007, 04:02 PM   #11
Klinn
Private
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryn View Post
RA1s are not one of them. They suck on the autocross course, and the Advans will likely outperform them. They just don't heat up on a 80 second run.
From the tests I've seen in past years, plus my own experience with them (admittedly not back-to-back testing), I think the RA1's are stickier than Neova AD07's. The Toyo's are a true R-compound tire, but of the previous generation before V710's, A6's, and the like. They may take longer to warm up, but even while cooler they still have more stick than a street tire, even one as good as Azenis etc. In my experience, the RA1's definitely don't "suck". :smile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer_fan
the tires that come from factory should be sufficient
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driv3r
Goodyear Eagle F1's FTMFW!!! Trust me soo sticky.
Sorry, but as I mentioned in my previous posts, I've tried various high performance street tires. They don't begin to compare to R-compounds. If you get a chance, go to a Solo2 event and ride along with somebody on R's and who knows how to use them. You will be amazed at the difference!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeo
So you're looking for r-comp suggestions, eh? Well if you want sticky and don't care about wear go for the Hoosier A6 or Kumho V710 in 245x35-18, BFGoodrich g-Force R1 in 265x35-18
Heh-heh, I think I'm chasing the impossible dream. Something close to the stickiness of V710's or A6's, but streetable. I don't think I could get away with using either of those on the street for long. Thanks for the reminder about the BFG R1's, I had forgotten about those, I'll have to check into them and see if they are my magic compromise tire. :biggrin:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducati
<snip> R compounds are NO MORE FUN than hot street tires. You will have better lap times, though you said you're not chasing that. <snip>
You raise some very good points. I made a bad choice of wording by describing my interest as only "having fun". I should have said that while I realize I won't catch the guys on the hottest R-compounds, I would like to close the gap compared to running on a true street tire like Azenis etc.

BTW, just to let you know where I'm coming from, I do know that the driver is even more important than the tires. I've been doing Solo2 off and on for many years, and have acted as one of the instructors for our regional club. I know I can certainly find time by improving my driving, but could also take advantage of what a stickier tire might offer.

But, as I mentioned just above, I think I'm chasing an impossible dream. Manufacturers just aren't offering that "streetable" R-compounds any more, but concentrating on winning at Topeka! I may have to bite the bullet and get a second set of wheels, but I keep hoping that I can avoid the hassle even if it means I give up that last increment of performance.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2007, 05:07 PM   #12
chemhalo
Private
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driv3r View Post
Goodyear Eagle F1's FTMFW!!!

^^^Trust me soo sticky, you will regret it...
Yes... I love them too.
Appreciate 0