BMW i5 and 5-Series Forum

08-23-2023, 05:37 PM   #1
phillipp
Rep
Drives: bmw 2007 335i coupe

80% vs 100%

Why is 80% the recommended charge level? Why not 100%?
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2023, 12:49 AM   #2
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

https://batteryuniversity.com/articl...ased-batteries

This a very good albeit technical investigation into lithium batteries and how they age and what is the best way to prolong their life

The car batteries are obviously a lot more sophisticated than that in your phone. The article states that for the longest life keeping the battery between 65 and 75% is best.

It also goes into why full charging and fully depeleting are bad for the battery

As car batteries are more sophisticated than that in your phone, I understand that they actually last a long time, you can find cases of old Tesla with intergalactic mileages still performing.
The key to this is that they have heat management , and heat is a big killer of these batteries

I understand the Nissan leaf did not have this feature and hence why it’s batteries don’t last as long. (Cheaper car)

I’m not a scientist so a lot of this is too technical for me but you can get the gist of it from that article

I also believe that there is a buffer on a car battery and when it states it’s charged to 100%, it isn’t really , same for at zero. I believe this is to protect and prolong the life of the battery.

I guess all the right care of a car battery really only comes to light for second ir third owners of the car. Someone leaseing a car for 3 years from new could “abuse” the battery and not see any I’ll effects, they may come to light years later.

Without getting into ev debate, I do think that the batteries should last for a good 15-20 years to make the car viable otherwise if the battery expires before that, it may mean writing off the car as it to expensive to replace.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2023, 01:31 PM   #3
phillipp
Rep
Drives: bmw 2007 335i coupe

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
https://batteryuniversity.com/articl...ased-batteries

This a very good albeit technical investigation into lithium batteries and how they age and what is the best way to prolong their life

The car batteries are obviously a lot more sophisticated than that in your phone. The article states that for the longest life keeping the battery between 65 and 75% is best.

It also goes into why full charging and fully depeleting are bad for the battery

As car batteries are more sophisticated than that in your phone, I understand that they actually last a long time, you can find cases of old Tesla with intergalactic mileages still performing.
The key to this is that they have heat management , and heat is a big killer of these batteries

I understand the Nissan leaf did not have this feature and hence why it’s batteries don’t last as long. (Cheaper car)

I’m not a scientist so a lot of this is too technical for me but you can get the gist of it from that article

I also believe that there is a buffer on a car battery and when it states it’s charged to 100%, it isn’t really , same for at zero. I believe this is to protect and prolong the life of the battery.

I guess all the right care of a car battery really only comes to light for second ir third owners of the car. Someone leaseing a car for 3 years from new could “abuse” the battery and not see any I’ll effects, they may come to light years later.

Without getting into ev debate, I do think that the batteries should last for a good 15-20 years to make the car viable otherwise if the battery expires before that, it may mean writing off the car as it to expensive to replace.
Most appreciated. Thank you for responding, especially with such good information.
Appreciate 0