BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-14-2007, 09:25 AM   #1
bmmr_razr
Private
Rep
Drives:

Wink Approximately $30,000 , that is favorable and competitive price...

Volvo C30's MSRP is $22,700 , premium is $25,700 and it's has 227 bhp turbo-charged 5cy

227 bhp = $ 22,700 ... so 300 bhp = ?
it's pure math... $30,000 exactly ... for premium... it could well reach to $33k...as for volvo...

can we relatively think that... bmw 300 bhp could be priced approximately $30k... fully loaded opt...could be close to $34k / $35k ?

And VW EoS 3.2 which would be comparable to up-comming 1er cabrio in terms of design... is msrp'ed $ 36k ... it is 250 bhp tho...

and From the East Side of World...
Toyota Camry Solara Coupe is priced... $22k... 3.3 V6 is about $30k ...
Honda Accord Coupe is priced $22k... 3.4 V6 is about $28k ...

So if BemV... i mean bimmer...in american term, price the same level as competitors...
We will have the good advantage of N54 ...

i feel like...in this forum...some people from dealership guys...dont wanna look belittle on the price...

but enthusiasts like everyone else... still value the ultimate machine...with the pride of ownership...at favorable and competitive price...

Check this
http://news.windingroad.com/auto-sho...r-30000-in-us/

http://www.autoblog.com/2007/09/14/b...art-below-30k/
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2007, 10:25 AM   #2
ibn
Rep
Drives:

doesn't the article say the 128 will start at under 30k and the 135 under 35k? isn't the 135 300hp not the 128? did i miss read it or something? i'm just trying to understand your math here.

for me it's a pretty penny to drive "premium entry-level." i'd rather just save and go for just plain premium.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2007, 10:32 AM   #3
ichiban
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

i think he's getting those prices cause the windingroad said
Quote:
BMW’s CEO, Tom Purves, also thinks that the MSRP will be low enough that it will cajole “customers from the likes of Honda, Toyota and Mazda.”
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2007, 10:45 AM   #4
vinazzurro
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibn View Post
doesn't the article say the 128 will start at under 30k and the 135 under 35k? isn't the 135 300hp not the 128? did i miss read it or something? i'm just trying to understand your math here.

for me it's a pretty penny to drive "premium entry-level." i'd rather just save and go for just plain premium.

I share that line of thinking. If the 128 starts too high, and the 135 is less than 5K more, might as well go for the 135 if I'm getting a 1-series at all.

There is some stiff competition (maybe not direct competition, but I mean in terms of performance, not the whole package) shaping up for this car, and if BMW messes with us on the price, I'm jumping ship.

I've never owned a BMW, so I have no brand loyalty yet.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2007, 10:52 AM   #5
1enthusiast
Registered
Rep
Drives:

BMW is a luxury car company, if you can't shell out the money for a better product your better off getting a Honda or a Scion.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2007, 10:52 AM   #6
ibn
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichiban View Post
i think he's getting those prices cause the windingroad said
but he's saying that the 300 hp verison, the 135, will start at 30k. i'm sorry to say but that's foolish thinking. as a consumer, it would be the best idea but i don't think BMW shares the same thinking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinazzurro View Post
I share that line of thinking. If the 128 starts too high, and the 135 is less than 5K more, might as well go for the 135 if I'm getting a 1-series at all.

There is some stiff competition (maybe not direct competition, but I mean in terms of performance, not the whole package) shaping up for this car, and if BMW messes with us on the price, I'm jumping ship.

I've never owned a BMW, so I have no brand loyalty yet.
exactly, i was looking for this car to be my first BMW also, but for the price i'd rather by a used 330i or i can get something completely different. i don't think BMW will be seeing my money on this coupe.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2007, 11:03 AM   #7
mikeo
Santa Fe Concorso
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 M-sport 328i, '13 X1 28i

Speculation is a good way to pass the time I guess. :smile:
      09-14-2007, 12:12 PM   #8
bmmr_razr
Private
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibn View Post

c'mon... i asked with a question...not a statement...u surely miss read this post...
no one exactly said which model is set how much yet...but generally said 1series will be set under $30k ...
that's it...

those links are just the reference...

bmw knows how to make money...there is that...market share...location of sales...targeted potential buyers and demands...

and bmw will not make u buy 1series when u can afford 3series... even with the same performance... vice versa...

this 1series project is so easy money for bmw...
they just revise the rear portion of 1series which has been since 2004 ...and sell us with the N54 engines...
so pretty cheap!

there was my prediction...based on other bmw models...in U.S
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=999
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2007, 12:19 PM   #9
vinazzurro
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeo View Post

And the funny thing is, there will be speculation for the foreseeable future. Even after we know the pricing, and people are taking delivery, it's going to be "when's the cabrio coming," and after that, "are they bringing a sedan," etc.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2007, 12:20 PM   #10
ibeam81
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 EBII M235i, 2004 Acura TL

Quote:

I just noticed that you sold your BMW racer. Congrats, I guess (or regrets depending on how you look at it). I'm sure that you'll miss it. Anyway, that certainly didn't take long.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2007, 02:41 PM   #11
mikeo
Santa Fe Concorso
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibeam81 View Post
I just noticed that you sold your BMW racer. Congrats, I guess (or regrets depending on how you look at it). I'm sure that you'll miss it. Anyway, that certainly didn't take long.
Thanks, the buyer got a car that would cost him $30K to reproduce for less than 1/2 that. I have no regrets though, it's time to move on and I'm looking forward to the 135i ED.
      09-14-2007, 08:01 PM   #12
kurichan
Mr. Happy
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1enthusiast View Post
BMW is a luxury car company, if you can't shell out the money for a better product your better off getting a Honda or a Scion.
Just this sort of attitude that makes people think poorly of BMW owners.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2007, 07:43 AM   #13
gbent
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurichan View Post
Just this sort of attitude that makes people think poorly of BMW owners.
I have to agree 100%. As a newbie looking over this forum for the last week, I see a definate trend among many members. The idea of a reasonably/fairly priced BMW really seems to rub some people the wrong way. I have been a BMW fan for years because of the performance & driving dynamics of the cars, but there are definately lots of folks out there that are in love with the idea of being a "BMW-Owner". If these people don't pay through the nose for their cars/house/designer whatever..., they feel somehow less special!
I have been following the 1 Series story right from the beginning, and unless BMW has changed their entire market plan for the 1er, I think the pricing is going to come in on the lower side of all the estimates flying around out there. Trying to compair UK/European pricing with what we will pay is a waste of time. Remember that the US is BMW's biggest market, and with the pressure coming from Audi,Acura,Infinity...,they need to price this car aggresivelly to bring entry level customers into the fold.
I recall similar speculation about the MINI before it was released, & I think everyone would now agree that the MINI is priced very competetively for the quality & performance that it delivers.
Only time will tell, let's just hope that those of us that drive BMW's for the right reasons are not disapointed.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2007, 04:45 PM   #14
imported_paradigm
Registered
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbent View Post
I have to agree 100%. As a newbie looking over this forum for the last week, I see a definate trend among many members. The idea of a reasonably/fairly priced BMW really seems to rub some people the wrong way. I have been a BMW fan for years because of the performance & driving dynamics of the cars, but there are definately lots of folks out there that are in love with the idea of being a "BMW-Owner". If these people don't pay through the nose for their cars/house/designer whatever..., they feel somehow less special!
I have been following the 1 Series story right from the beginning, and unless BMW has changed their entire market plan for the 1er, I think the pricing is going to come in on the lower side of all the estimates flying around out there. Trying to compair UK/European pricing with what we will pay is a waste of time. Remember that the US is BMW's biggest market, and with the pressure coming from Audi,Acura,Infinity...,they need to price this car aggresivelly to bring entry level customers into the fold.
I recall similar speculation about the MINI before it was released, & I think everyone would now agree that the MINI is priced very competetively for the quality & performance that it delivers.
Only time will tell, let's just hope that those of us that drive BMW's for the right reasons are not disapointed.

+1 regarding attitudes and pricing. i have never owned a BMW, but like most of their offerings. BMW has done a good job of brand marketing and image in the USA, however. just travel to europe for a few weeks and you'll come back with a bit different attitude for BMW cars. not saying that certain BMW models are not excellent vehicles, but the premium being placed on them is pretty funny.

i just got back from a few weeks in Zurich and also a smaller city in the Netherlands. in Zurich, practically every other car was a BMW. the police drive them. they are used as taxis. put that same car in the USA and everyone gets the warm and fuzzies...simply because they cost $$$$$ here.

off to dream about the 135i now!
      09-22-2007, 08:42 PM   #15
mikeo
Santa Fe Concorso
United_States
Rep

About half the BMWs I've seen in Europe opted for the model badge delete. :iono:

Someone needs to explain the reasoning to me as I don't get it.
      09-22-2007, 09:42 PM   #16
atr_hugo
No longer moderate
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

Well - it drives the cops nutz when they have to put the make & model on the tickets. ; -)
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2007, 02:32 AM   #17
Devon K
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: TBD

Quote:
About half the BMWs I've seen in Europe opted for the model badge delete. :iono:

Someone needs to explaing the reasoning to me as I don't get it.
Probably because they don't want it known that they are driving a low-end model with a craptastic diesel putting out 120 hp... :biggrin:
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2007, 07:00 AM   #18
RXC135i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 Blue Water 135i Coupe

Some (including me) like the stealth and clean look of a car without your engine size plastered on the trunk. Imagine the scenario of an M5 with badge delete...looks relaxed to the casual observer until you want to smoke them. Plus not having to wax around the badges is an added bonus!
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2007, 07:52 AM   #19
mikeo
Santa Fe Concorso
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RXC135i View Post
Some (including me) like the stealth and clean look of a car without your engine size plastered on the trunk. Imagine the scenario of an M5 with badge delete...looks relaxed to the casual observer until you want to smoke them. Plus not having to wax around the badges is an added bonus!
Thanks, though stealth may have been a motivating factor. And I agree waxing around the badge was a pain.
      09-23-2007, 12:57 PM   #20
imported_paradigm
Registered
Rep
Drives:

i noticed the missing badges everywhere as well. i chalked it up to more of an american thing: "look at me! look at me! i have a higher # model than you and mine cost more!".

actually, if i had the choice, i'd go w/out the badges too. cleaner look. i know what i'm driving and don't care if others can see a model # or not.
      09-23-2007, 01:39 PM   #21
mikeo
Santa Fe Concorso
United_States
Rep

Pretty easy to remove--no bolts or screws, just double sided adhesive.
      09-23-2007, 02:11 PM   #22
~AJ
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: None

I completely debadged my car.

Not to be cool. Not for the ease of waxing, stealth style, or to make a cop's ticket more difficult, but for a more observant, practical reason.

Here in Southern California, Honda and Acura products will have their badges removed, whether you like it or not. The Fast and The Furious crowd will steal them, gouging the paint in the process. Mine were removed on my terms, not on a ricer's (it is inevitable here!).

The folks who live here know what I am describing. You've all noticed the cars in front of you on the freeway with two holes in the trunk where the "H" or the "A" used to be!

And am I the only one that has laid eyes on a beat-down 1991 four door base model lowered Civic with a huge wing, giant exhaust, big stickers (some kind of racing), and BMW or Mercedes emblems on it? Seriously, go to Santa Ana and you will see such things. I feel bad for the BMW or Mercedes owners. Stand by for photos; I'll snap the next one I see for proof.

-AJ
Appreciate 0