09-05-2023, 06:42 PM   #1
rjabend
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X7 xDrive40i

Garage List
2024 X7  [6.50]
BMW Exterior Finish Benefit

Over time, I have noticed that my Alpine White X7 exterior paint sheds dirt/grime completely when it rains other than stuck on bugs, etc. All the other vehicles I have owned did not have that benefit. I haven't done anything to the finish since purchase. I haven't washed my X7 in ages and I am beginning to feel guilty . On a more serious note, has anyone else noticed that benefit? Can anyone tell me what is different about the BMW finish?
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2023, 11:13 AM   #2
chefwong
Major
Rep
Drives: X5

* washed my X7 in ages*

Not sure about the dirt/grime but fwiw, a dirty car will -sheet/shed- water.
Take 2 cars. One that is clean and has a LSP on it. The other, just dirty like ur description.
Both parked outside.
It rains overnight
The following day, the dirty car may not show any water...
Water tends to sheet over a dirty card

The clean LSP car may have plenty of water beads on it, showing it has rained overnight...
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2023, 01:38 AM   #3
Brigitte
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 Mazda CX-9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjabend View Post
Over time, I have noticed that my Alpine White X7 exterior paint sheds dirt/grime completely when it rains other than stuck on bugs, etc. All the other vehicles I have owned did not have that benefit. I haven't done anything to the finish since purchase. I haven't washed my X7 in ages and I am beginning to feel guilty . On a more serious note, has anyone else noticed that benefit? Can anyone tell me what is different about the BMW finish?
It could be some newer paint technology that's not unique to BMW. A few days ago it was raining...I parked my Mazda in the garage without wiping it. I expected to see a lot of water bead stains. No! It looked as if it was done at a car wash . That wasn't the case with my previous cars.
Appreciate 1
rjabend371.00
      09-07-2023, 05:59 AM   #4
rjabend
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X7 xDrive40i

Garage List
2024 X7  [6.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigitte View Post
It could be some newer paint technology that's not unique to BMW. A few days ago it was raining...I parked my Mazda in the garage without wiping it. I expected to see a lot of water bead stains. No! It looked as if it was done at a car wash . That wasn't the case with my previous cars.
Brigitte,

You have a credibility problem since it almost never rains in NV. On a more serious note, here is an interesting article on the purpose of Burning Man and its history:
https://www.deseret.com/2023/9/5/237...nity.%E2%80%9D

They do actually burn a man

Last edited by rjabend; 09-07-2023 at 06:11 AM..
Appreciate 1
Brigitte485.50
      09-07-2023, 12:21 PM   #5
Brigitte
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 Mazda CX-9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjabend View Post
Brigitte,

You have a credibility problem since it almost never rains in NV. On a more serious note, here is an interesting article on the purpose of Burning Man and its history:
https://www.deseret.com/2023/9/5/237...nity.%E2%80%9D

They do actually burn a man
They burn a wooden figure of a man! I never heard of that festival until last week when we had that torrential rain that flooded the festival area stranding thousands of people! Even in Southern Nevada...I was driving through flooded streets...it reminded me of Florida
Appreciate 1
rjabend371.00