E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Door open but actually not

09-12-2023, 02:51 PM   #1
cole90
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i xDrive

Door open but actually not

Car dings almost non stop saying all doors except driver are open randomly. I have inpa and a kdcan cable but i cant see any codes relating to the issue. Interior lights also flicker occasionally starting to drive me crazy lol
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2023, 03:11 PM   #2
lordnikon
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Break My Wallet

Garage List
Do you have water in the door locks? Happened to me and once it dried off, the problem was gone.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2023, 03:24 PM   #3
cole90
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordnikon View Post
Do you have water in the door locks? Happened to me and once it dried off, the problem was gone.
Its been doing this for atleast a month and getting worse and worse. Started with rear driver door and now 3 out of 4 doors go off. The door the problem started on the weatherstripping came loose but i have glued it back on.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2023, 03:27 PM   #4
cole90
Rep

Would this be a battery problem? Im not too certain it would be the actuator because more than one door is doing it by now
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2023, 07:04 PM   #5
lordnikon
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Break My Wallet

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by cole90 View Post
Would this be a battery problem? Im not too certain it would be the actuator because more than one door is doing it by now
Did you check the voltages?
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2023, 01:10 AM   #6
cole90
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordnikon View Post
Did you check the voltages?
Battery voltage seems to stay around 14 while driving
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2023, 03:21 PM   #7
cole90
Rep

Anyone have any ideas? Tried a new door actuator no luck.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2023, 07:43 PM   #8
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
Car dings almost non stop saying all doors except driver are open randomly. I have inpa and a kdcan cable but i cant see any codes relating to the issue. Interior lights also flicker occasionally starting to drive me crazy lol
Quote:
Its been doing this for at least a month and getting worse and worse. Started with rear driver door and now 3 out of 4 doors go off...
Quote:
Anyone have any ideas? Tried a new door actuator no luck.
The LOCK Actuator has NOTHING to do with the "Door Contacts" as I understand the ISTA wiring diagram. Many cars of that vintage had "Door Contact" in the Door LATCH (the part that rotates to hold the door closed until the door handle is pulled). The ISTA wiring diagram shows a separate "Signal" wire (almost certainly GROUND), going from each door latch to the FRM. The Door Contact (TK) for the Driver (Fahrer) Door (Tur) has the "Line ID" TKFT. The Passenger (Beifahrer) door (Front) has Line ID TKBT.

I can't tell from the wiring diagram if FRM receives a Ground signal when Latch is OPEN or when it is CLOSED. You could use the INPA F5 Status Screen described below and test which it is (my GUESS would be circle is filled/Black when ground is applied via "Door Contact Signal", or latch sends Ground signal to FRM for that door when Latch CLOSED. Other than the wiring diagram, Bentley & ISTA are NO help in describing what the "Door Contact Signal" actually is (AFAIK).

ISTA ScreenPrints of FRM circuit and Lines ID for front doors are attached to NEXT Post. There is a separate Connector between the Door and Chassis Harness for all wiring in a particular Door, such as X257/21 (Pin #21 of Connector X257) for Driver Door (Brown/Gray/White signal wire), & X256/21 for Passenger Door (Brown/Gray/Yellow signal wire at pin #21). Installation Location & Connector View for Driver Door X257 Connector are attached. All ISTA ScreenPrints are for my 3/2007 build 328xi E91 since you didn't provide Last-7 characters of VIN or Build Mo/Yr. Your 328xi should be same or similar, but if you will provide Last-7 VIN, I'll confirm.

As for INPA:
I would NOT expect any FRM Fault related to your issue. The FRM can ONLY tell is door is open or closed based on "Signal" from Latch (Door Contact). It has NO way of knowing if door is open or closed except by that signal. You either have intermittent Open Circuit in Signal wire, or intermittent Short to Ground in that signal wire, which is "playing with" the signal. Since doors must be CLOSED before CAS can Lock, I would be interested in knowing if Lock/Unlock function is affected as well as courtesy lights.

What you CAN do with INPA:
Use FRM F5 Status (Live Data) to see STATUS of Door Contacts, per the following Menu Sequence/ Path:
INPA > FRM (Body | FRM) > F5 Status > F4 Door Contacts
Once again, Door Contacts are NOT same as Door Locks, the Status of which are shown BELOW Contacts on that INPA Screen.

If you need MORE information, please advise.
George
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2023, 07:47 PM   #9
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Attached are ISTA ScreenPrints for my 3/2007 Build 328xi, E91, per prior post, along with INPA > FRM > F5 Status > F4
Door Contacts Status.
George
Attached Images

Appreciate 0