BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-09-2007, 04:04 PM   #1
1050Wien
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Garage List
2008 128i  [0.00]
Incentive to buy asap

I stumbled across this article today and found it interesting. The current state of the US dollar is probably unlikely to affect the initial pricing strategy but it may be an issue for those who are looking to buy in 2009 or later.

Full article at: http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com...ansForYou.aspx

Your dream BMW costs more. The base price of a BMW 3 Series sport sedan has risen about 20% over the past five years, The Wall Street Journal reported this week. It's likely to go up more.
Though BMW and other automakers may accept lower profits to stay in the U.S. market, the lower dollar boosts prices for imported food, shoes, chemicals and the like. European governments worry that a dollar in free fall could be a disaster even for Germany, Europe's strongest economy.
And if price competition eases, U.S. companies could gradually charge more for products they sell at home.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2007, 10:04 AM   #2
djminkin
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

What percentage of cars are even made in Europe anymore? My X5 was built in North Carolina. Doesnt BMW have a plant in Mexico as well? So what are we paying more for, engineering? I looked at my wifes Louis Vuitton purse, and it says made in America? Companies will look to offset currency differences by either building the cars or assembling them, using cheaper labor costs.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2007, 10:08 AM   #3
1ster
Large Member
Rep
Drives:

I currently have a Civic Si that was made in America and it can't hold a candle to the Miatas I've owned that were made in Japan in terms of rattles and lingering quality issues. There must be something in the water at American car factories...
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2007, 10:11 AM   #4
djminkin
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ster View Post
I currently have a Civic Si that was made in America and it can't hold a candle to the Miatas I've owned that were made in Japan in terms of rattles and lingering quality issues. There must be something in the water at American car factories...
I agree, and maybe thats why all the American car companies are doing so poorly.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2007, 10:37 AM   #5
ChrisK
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C

Garage List
1ster what year is your Civic Si? My '06 Si was made in Canada.
      10-11-2007, 10:40 AM   #6
ChrisK
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C

Garage List
I had two z3's from the Spartanburg, SC plant, and they were fine.
      10-11-2007, 10:56 AM   #7
imported_MPower
Zoom Zoom
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by djminkin View Post
I agree, and maybe thats why all the American car companies are doing so poorly.
Please explain how they win a fair share of JD Power quality awards then. I think it is comical that someone mentions that a Japanese car built in a American factory has "problems" and that somehow reflects to every other American car manufacturer. That's beside the point, though.

This article has been posted a thousand times and while there is some truth to it, I dont think that there needs to be a mass exodus to the BMW dealer to grab their remaining cars before they bump the prices up. As the article mentions, companies are going to start shifting their production to America (that is one advantage, for the US, with having a lower dollar value; it's what makes China the production power it is). This will help offset the conversion problems.
      10-11-2007, 11:30 AM   #8
1ster
Large Member
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPower View Post
I think it is comical that someone mentions that a Japanese car built in a American factory has "problems" and that somehow reflects to every other American car manufacturer. That's beside the point, though.
Let's say everybody tells you Chuck is a great guy, but when you go out to lunch with him, you find him to be a complete @sshole. Are you going to go out to lunch with Chuck again? What if JD Power told you Chuck was teh awesome? Would it matter?

I'm sure JD Power's results are valid and that American-made cars are the equal of the rest of the world, but in my experience, cars that are manufactured in Japan are better. Family and co-workers have had similar problems with other Hondas and Toyotas (Accords, Camrys, and Acura TL) that are manufactured in NA. Regardless of what JD Power says, I will base future purchasing decisions on my own experience, rational or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskurn View Post
1ster what year is your Civic Si? My '06 Si was made in Canada.
Mine too. I mis-spoke earlier.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2007, 11:45 AM   #9
imported_MPower
Zoom Zoom
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ster View Post
Regardless of what JD Power says, I will base future purchasing decisions on my own experience, rational or not.
Perfectly acceptable. It's the way that it should be. Sometimes, though, some people have a problem if others dont share in the irrational ideology.

Personally, I have owned two Mazdas and were impressed with both but I am still staggered that my MINI was significantly cheaper than my MX-5 yet is built so much better. So far, no reliability problems... *crossing fingers*
      10-12-2007, 09:33 AM   #10
1050Wien
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Garage List
2008 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
What percentage of cars are even made in Europe anymore? My X5 was built in North Carolina. Doesnt BMW have a plant in Mexico as well? So what are we paying more for, engineering? I looked at my wifes Louis Vuitton purse, and it says made in America? Companies will look to offset currency differences by either building the cars or assembling them, using cheaper labor costs.
The 1 series will be made in Germany in the foreseeable future. That is why I posted the article.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2007, 09:39 AM   #11
1050Wien
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Garage List
2008 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
My first car was a Japanese made 1992 Civic (made for the European market). I drove the hell out of that car and it was awesome. No rattling, squeeking, etc.

Years later I bought a 1998 Civic made in the US. It was also a good car but there were a few issues that made me beleive that the quality of the Japanese made car was top notch while the US car was "just" good.
Appreciate 0