BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-18-2007, 09:10 AM   #1
zirrah
Private
Rep
Drives:

Dinan Software

I heard through the grapevine (read... BMW parts dealer who just spoke to his Dinan rep), that Dinan will be releasing software for the 135i engine... 50hp gain... no loss of warranty.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Maybe... we'll see how it compares to the M

Appreciate 0
      10-18-2007, 10:20 AM   #2
BtheMoneW
Private
Rep
Drives: MKIV 1.8T

50hp+No loss of warranty from a reputable company....:w00t:! I wonder what the cost would be, I'm not very familiar with BMW tuning but I know their products are expensive
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2007, 11:01 AM   #3
zirrah
Private
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BtheMoneW View Post
50hp+No loss of warranty from a reputable company....:w00t:! I wonder what the cost would be, I'm not very familiar with BMW tuning but I know their products are expensive
I'd expect $2k. If it's less than that I'd be surprised. Being that it's coming from what is generally considered the premier tuner for BMW's

Maybe... we'll see how it compares to the M

Appreciate 0
      10-18-2007, 12:11 PM   #4
E82tt6
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '08 Black Saphire Z4 MC

Quite frankly, I'd pay $2k for a 50hp chip from Dinan, as oposed to AA/Vishnu. I suppose the Vishnu chip is more like 80-90hp, but I'm not super comfortable with it, given the number of problems people have been having with thrown codes and such.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2007, 01:05 PM   #5
Stay a while and listen...
Rep
Drives: vr4

I wonder if they decided to use a chip or if they actually cracked the ECU.. Just like i wonder if "50hp" is measured at the crank or wheels...
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2007, 01:52 PM   #6
imported_emos325
Rep
Drives:

thrown code????

Quote:
Originally Posted by E82TT6 View Post
Quite frankly, I'd pay $2k for a 50hp chip from Dinan, as oposed to AA/Vishnu. I suppose the Vishnu chip is more like 80-90hp, but I'm not super comfortable with it, given the number of problems people have been having with thrown codes and such.

where have you seen someone post a code being thrown. i haven't ever heard of it. r u sure? no offence. post a link pls. thx
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2007, 02:02 PM   #7
marcosowns
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 FR-S

Quote:
Originally Posted by E82TT6 View Post
I agree with you, plus I would like to have the peace of mind that my warranty would not be voided.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2007, 02:08 PM   #8
Stay a while and listen...
Rep
Drives: vr4

Quote:
Originally Posted by emos325 View Post
where have you seen someone post a code being thrown. i haven't ever heard of it. r u sure? no offence. post a link pls. thx

It was a minor speed limiter issue(etc..) Look on E90 real quick and you will see them..
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2007, 12:18 AM   #9
mprhead5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

If you buy Dinan you are doing nothing but ripping yourself off for a lot of money. Now I would love a Dinan Badge on the back of my 135i as much as the next guy but the idea that i should pay 30+% more for a product that gives me less performance just dosn't make sence. If you look at all of Dinans performance parts you will see that in most cases they cost more and give less HP than other brands. Your average BMW buyer I guess has the money to throw away on such things and I guess as long as you feel that you have got a solid product more power to you. But why pay 1500.00 for somthing that you could pat 400.00 for and get more?

If you are worried about your warrenty you can still get a plug and play piggyback unit like the Procede or xede and just remove it in 5 minutes when you take the car in to the dealer.

that said I would spend 1400.00 on the Dinan suspention so I could get my cool bumper sticker and mean it
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2007, 09:31 PM   #10
1Power
Rep
Drives:

DINAN is the "BMW of tuners" in the US

Quote:
Originally Posted by mprhead5 View Post
If you buy Dinan you are doing nothing but ripping yourself off for a lot of money. Now I would love a Dinan Badge on the back of my 135i as much as the next guy but the idea that i should pay 30+% more for a product that gives me less performance just dosn't make sence. If you look at all of Dinans performance parts you will see that in most cases they cost more and give less HP than other brands. Your average BMW buyer I guess has the money to throw away on such things and I guess as long as you feel that you have got a solid product more power to you. But why pay 1500.00 for somthing that you could pat 400.00 for and get more?

If you are worried about your warrenty you can still get a plug and play piggyback unit like the Procede or xede and just remove it in 5 minutes when you take the car in to the dealer.

that said I would spend 1400.00 on the Dinan suspention so I could get my cool bumper sticker and mean it
I don't understand your line of thought. "If you buy Dinan you are doing nothing but ripping yourself off for a lot of money." Then you say, "that said I would spend 1400.00 on the Dinan suspention so I could get my cool bumper sticker." So you'd like to have a DINAN badge, but the products are a rip-off?

On the issue of HP. If HP is your primary motivator, why buy a BMW when you can get more HP in a Ford Mustang? For me the answer is, it's the total quality package of the balanced power & handling & engineering that BMW consistently delivers. I personally value DINAN products for the same reason.

There are many other important factors than simply increasing horsepower. I had $6k in Dinan work on my Z3coupe 4 years ago & was extremely satisfied with the total performance transformation. Owners value different upgrades at different price points, and all the tuners have a niche in the market place.

Please don't trash the name of a tuner, just because you might prefer another one. We can discuss & still be respectful.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2007, 11:05 PM   #11
ZAMIRZ
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
But why pay 1500.00 for somthing that you could pat 400.00 for and get more?
Because Dinan isn't some butthole who quit his IT job and decided he can tune BMWs. And whether or not you can unplug the piggyback and go under the radar is irrelevant, because if you blow the motor up, you lose a ton of money on resale (won't be able to hide it if the dealer performs the work under warranty), not to mention it will have to be taken apart and put back together by a dealer tech. So you end up with a molested car, even if it's "all covered under warranty".

BMW will figure out a way to eventually cover their a$$, and will void all powertrain warranties that share similar characteristics as piggybacked cars.

Is DINAN expensive? Hell yeah, it is, but you're paying for the total package, not just "ohmygodzorz this chip makes 40hp more than DINAN, it must be teh bestest." We have the same discussions on the Porsche forum when someone comes in nagging about how expensive RUF products are. You have to pay to play.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2007, 01:00 AM   #12
mprhead5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Firstly I have never heard of warrenty work ever impacting the resale value of a car. and I was an auto mechanic for a while before I joined the Military. And I never had any trouble getting warrenty work done on my car even with an aftermarket ECU installed in it. Because they have to prove that your part caused the failure.

I would pay for the Dinan suspention because its not that bad of a price. I was refering to the power upgrades like the 2k catback system. I understand the drive to keep a car under warrenty, I do but I could never in my right mind pay for a product that cost more than in this case a procede and get less from it. Shiv is a samuri of horsepower and I trust his products at least as much as Dinans.

and in the case of wich car to own thats simple. Mustangs are crap and I would never own one. Nor would I ever buy a FWD car ever again. so I am stuck between my facination with going tripple diget speeds and my need in the near future to have a 4 seat car. that leaves only cars like the 135i, 5thgen camaro, and g37. that make sence and have the required 400hp potental. 4k into this motor and 400hp is going to be easy. if you bought that same package in all dinan products it would cost at least 7500.00+ thats my point. I think there is just a little bit too much infered quality stacked into there prices. I trust them to sort my suspention out right but I also trust other dealers like Vhishnu as well

I'll take the procede and see you in my rearview with enough saved cash in my pocket to hit up the gentelmans club on the way home for a scotch and a show

don't mean to upset anyone just expressing my viewpoint.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2007, 08:27 PM   #13
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Just an FYI, Dinan and BMW do not have the same relationship they use to. BMW will have it's own performance line and is not backing Dinan like they once did.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2007, 06:32 PM   #14
1Power
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
Just an FYI, Dinan and BMW do not have the same relationship they use to. BMW will have it's own performance line and is not backing Dinan like they once did.
Where have you read this? One of my local dealers sells, services & supports DINAN in addition to the new BMW performance line. I'm not aware of any change in BMW's relationship with DINAN.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2007, 07:36 PM   #15
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

I've wondered about what would happen with the Dinan relaionship, now that BMW is delving deeper into the aftermarket sector. BMW has never published a catalog until recently with coilovers, hopped-up cams, and performance locking differentials, and that is squarely where Dinan's market is at.

You can read into it that that things are changing between the two entities, but that would be an assumption, at best. Probably not a bad assumption though.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2007, 08:15 PM   #16
Garrett
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2004 330ci

Quote:

Thats unethical... some people don't wish to comprimise their integrity!! Sometimes it's not all about just the performance, but the peace of mind, knowing that yur dealership put that DINAN badge on the back of your Bimm ..!
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2007, 11:34 PM   #17
Sephiroth
4-6-8
India
Rep
Drives: for the fun of it

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryn View Post
I've wondered about what would happen with the Dinan relaionship, now that BMW is delving deeper into the aftermarket sector. BMW has never published a catalog until recently with coilovers, hopped-up cams, and performance locking differentials, and that is squarely where Dinan's market is at.

You can read into it that that things are changing between the two entities, but that would be an assumption, at best. Probably not a bad assumption though.
If what you say is true then thats a good thing for us consumers. The price of Dinan parts might come down now.
      11-11-2007, 02:05 AM   #18
audisp0rta4
Rep
Drives: 05 Mazda Rx8

There is nothing wrong with Dinan products. They may not be hyper-aggressive like some other products out there, but alot of R&D goes into making parts that provide useful gains, while still respecting the factory tolerances.

That said......if you're looking for max bang for buck, I think you should spend $250 on a used NOS kit from hondatech.com, buy a 200hp jet and squeeze your little heart out!
89 Nissan 240sx (sr20det) -sold
03 Ninja ZX6R 636
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2007, 10:49 PM   #19
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

I doubt there will be any difference in the price of Dinan parts because nothing will really change. The warranty on Dinan parts was always covered by Dinan, not BMW.

And for all you Dinan fans... think Z8 headers and what a fiasco that was from such a reputable company.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2007, 10:22 AM   #20
mprhead5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

you putting the pu.. I mean Dinan on a pedestal

lots of companys make good products and for better prices thats all im saying
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2007, 08:38 PM   #21
Crowley
Major
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Firstly I have never heard of warranty work ever impacting the resale value of a car. and I was an auto mechanic for a while before I joined the Military. And I never had any trouble getting warranty work done on my car even with an aftermarket ECU installed in it. Because they have to prove that your part caused the failure.

I would pay for the Dinan suspension because its not that bad of a price. I was referring to the power upgrades like the 2k catback system. I understand the drive to keep a car under warranty, I do but I could never in my right mind pay for a product that cost more than in this case a procede and get less from it. Shiv is a samuri of horsepower and I trust his products at least as much as Dinans.

and in the case of wich car to own thats simple. Mustangs are crap and I would never own one. Nor would I ever buy a FWD car ever again. so I am stuck between my fascination with going triple digit speeds and my need in the near future to have a 4 seat car. that leaves only cars like the 135i, 5thgen camaro, and g37. that make sence and have the required 400hp potental. 4k into this motor and 400hp is going to be easy. if you bought that same package in all dinan products it would cost at least 7500.00+ thats my point. I think there is just a little bit too much infered quality stacked into there prices. I trust them to sort my suspension out right but I also trust other dealers like Vhishnu as well

I'll take the procede and see you in my rearview with enough saved cash in my pocket to hit up the gentelmans club on the way home for a scotch and a show

don't mean to upset anyone just expressing my viewpoint.
I too have thought about holding off on the next gen camaro or going back to an 04 cobra (Not all mustangs are crap) .. I have had both a 2001 SS and several mustangs (cobra's) .. the 04 was the best bang for the buck car I have owned ... you could spend probably less than 3k and have 500 to the wheels ... I daily drove mine and it was reliable ...

I'll have to wait until I sit in the 135i and make a decision at that point ..

Crowley

The last words on the powerplant should go to a clearly overwhelmed Hormazd Sorabjee, editor and publisher of Autocar India: “There is something simply magical about BMW’s in-line six. It has a creamy smoothness that makes velvet feel like sandpaper.”
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2007, 09:03 PM   #22
mateo
Addicted Member
Rep
Drives:

It would be nice to know the torque figures.

My dealer told me that BMW would be fazing out the sale of Dinan Products. Also that BMW was going to pick up the ball and run w/it. I wonder how it will really play out.

-Mateo
Appreciate 0