BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-28-2007, 07:22 AM   #1
TESLAASTRO
DE STIJL
Rep
Drives:

Question Q ABOUT SPECIAL ORDERING

I know the topic of ED has been covered extensively, but I have some questions about special ordering....

I suspect due to strong demand, that when it comes time to buy, that getting the EXACT 135 I want may be in scarce supply here in FL (jet BL/coral, premium, auto) - Thus, I was hoping in that case to factory order the car at BMW dealer...In past, I would take an extra option here or there for a car to accept immediate delivery, but for those cars I expected a discount - conversely,there really isnt anything especially appealing to me at full MSRP on 135 , which I expect to pay, other than options I mentioned above, that would warrant me grabbing from inventory...this would inc sport and nav, 2 of the higher priced options.

1) Is this something your typical BMW dealer will frown upon?Obviously, I would think they want to eliminate existing "on lot" inventory.Also, does BMW specialize in this sort of thing?....with Japanese cars, it seems to be unheard of to factory order.

2)Do you think BMW dealer will try to markup price over MSRP for factory order?...is there a set surcharge for factory order?

3) I was quoted about 90 days from order to delivery from Irv......but for those here who have factory ordered in past, how long did it take?

4) for those who have factory ordered, how much $ did you have to put down?...was it contingent on delivering the car within a certain timeframe?....i dont want to order with 3 months left in my G lease, only to get a call from BMW stating "we're backed up at factory, it will be another 3 months before delivery, leaving me car-less for a few months.....

=
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2007, 09:43 AM   #2
128er
Captain
Rep
Drives:

I don't think BMW will try to markup the price...if they do you shouldn't allow them to do it!
-Steptronic
-Premium Sound
-Xenons

Appreciate 0
      10-29-2007, 01:03 AM   #3
tklivory
Rep
Drives:

That's a lot of questions! I special ordered my current BMW, so I'll try to answer based on my own experiences.

1) BMW is VERY accomodating for people who want to special order their cars (although I suspect some dealerships promote it more than others). I went directly through Internet/fleet sales at my dealership to order my car (highly recommended). As that salesperson didn't live or die based on cars sold from the lot, they were happy to help me order my car after making sure that what I wanted wasn't available (and I walked in there with a list of *exactly* what I wanted on my car). For pricing, we used the Costco price (which mandated a specific price). *NOTE: Costco prices are always set at $X above the dealer's invoice. Further negotiations are possible, but be prepared to know A LOT about the car.) All dealerships have a certain number of slots per month for car orders from BMW, and the bigger dealerships TEND to have bigger allotments.

2) My car is a 2007 3-series, which experienced a minor revamp from the 2006 3-series. I got the Costco price, though, so I didn't see any artifical markup, since Costco negotiates directly with BMW dealerships to set the price based on local market demand. Direct negotiation might serve you better, but be prepared for a first year car to not be as negotiable as a car that's been out a while or has not had a revamp for a while.

3) I placed my order in late October, and took delivery late December. If you want to see a LOT of feedback on timing of factory orders, go to this thread for a lotta info (for instance, I was able to track my car by phone until it shipped, then track the ship using the e90post forums!) YMMV, but just make sure that you get specific info from your salesperson about exactly what month your order was placed, and make sure you have a Production Number the same day you put your deposit down (I got mine the same day, anyway)

4) I put $1k down, but it basically was my first payment and fees, and I could have gotten it back at any time (even after my car arrived) if I decided I didn't want it for some reason (like it was too late). You might want to find out if they have an option for you to lease (MTM) a used car from the dealership in the event that an ordered car is late (my friend did that when his special order 6-series coupe was delayed), but that probably would depend on the relationship you have with the dealership...

As with anything, YMMV depending on your dealership and salesperson. I had an absolutely wonderful, smooth experience ordering and receiving my special order car (I REALLY wanted terra leather - relatively unique!), but as the link I put above shows you, not everyone has such a great experience.

I hope this info helps!
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2007, 02:44 AM   #4
msgburner
Rep
Drives:

Its not that hard...Im going through a military sales rep and Mine is going to be ordered from the factory with the specs I request...And then it will be shipped to a dealer of my choice.

I wont even have to put up with the dealers themselves. Ill have everything taken care of before hand...The dealership is just going to hold it untill I pick it up.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2007, 06:39 AM   #5
UJackM
Private
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tklivory View Post
That's a lot of questions! I special ordered my current BMW, so I'll try to answer based on my own experiences.

1) BMW is VERY accomodating for people who want to special order their cars (although I suspect some dealerships promote it more than others). I went directly through Internet/fleet sales at my dealership to order my car (highly recommended). As that salesperson didn't live or die based on cars sold from the lot, they were happy to help me order my car after making sure that what I wanted wasn't available (and I walked in there with a list of *exactly* what I wanted on my car). For pricing, we used the Costco price (which mandated a specific price). *NOTE: Costco prices are always set at $X above the dealer's invoice. Further negotiations are possible, but be prepared to know A LOT about the car.) All dealerships have a certain number of slots per month for car orders from BMW, and the bigger dealerships TEND to have bigger allotments.

2) My car is a 2007 3-series, which experienced a minor revamp from the 2006 3-series. I got the Costco price, though, so I didn't see any artifical markup, since Costco negotiates directly with BMW dealerships to set the price based on local market demand. Direct negotiation might serve you better, but be prepared for a first year car to not be as negotiable as a car that's been out a while or has not had a revamp for a while.

3) I placed my order in late October, and took delivery late December. If you want to see a LOT of feedback on timing of factory orders, go to this thread for a lotta info (for instance, I was able to track my car by phone until it shipped, then track the ship using the e90post forums!) YMMV, but just make sure that you get specific info from your salesperson about exactly what month your order was placed, and make sure you have a Production Number the same day you put your deposit down (I got mine the same day, anyway)

4) I put $1k down, but it basically was my first payment and fees, and I could have gotten it back at any time (even after my car arrived) if I decided I didn't want it for some reason (like it was too late). You might want to find out if they have an option for you to lease (MTM) a used car from the dealership in the event that an ordered car is late (my friend did that when his special order 6-series coupe was delayed), but that probably would depend on the relationship you have with the dealership...

As with anything, YMMV depending on your dealership and salesperson. I had an absolutely wonderful, smooth experience ordering and receiving my special order car (I REALLY wanted terra leather - relatively unique!), but as the link I put above shows you, not everyone has such a great experience.

I hope this info helps!
This is such useful information, thanks! How did you get a Costco price? Do you work for that company?
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2007, 07:11 AM   #6
joelk
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Space Gray E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by UJackM View Post
This is such useful information, thanks! How did you get a Costco price? Do you work for that company?
http://www.costcoauto.com/
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2007, 09:00 AM   #7
TESLAASTRO
DE STIJL
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tklivory View Post

I hope this info helps!
Thank you TKlivory for taking the time and effort to help me with my questions.....i appreciate your great answers....I am very pleasantly surprised that your order went so smoothly....thus I have alot of confidence that mine will be the same....my plan, if they don't have exactly what i want at any dealer here, will be to order 90 days prior to the termination of my current lease....

=
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2007, 09:59 AM   #8
cncmastr
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 ZCP, F85, E70, G07

Garage List
2018 X5 M  [0.00]
2020 M2 CS  [0.00]
2005 BMW X5 4.8is  [0.00]
2006 BMW M3  [0.00]
BMW is awesome when it comes to ordering your own car. If you ask me, aside from Porsche, they have a range of options that you can pick to build your car how you want it.

Delivery takes about 6-7 weeks from time of order.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2007, 03:49 PM   #9
1Power
Rep
Drives:

Ordering is easy when you deal with a competent CA. A high percentage of repeat BMW customers purchase by special order - whether taking delivery at their local dealer, Performance Center Delivery in SC or Euro Delivery.

If you're getting the brush-off from your local dealers, your best sources of accurate info are Irv Robinson in Chicago www.edbmw.com and Adrian Avila in Atlanta adriansbmw@gmail.com
They are both highly-recommended site sponsors at www.bimmerfest.com
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2007, 04:16 PM   #10
needanewcar
Rep
Drives:

can you guys recommend dealers in your areas that were especially helpful with special orders? while we are at it, may as well post about dealers who were not so helpful as well
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2007, 04:32 PM   #11
TESLAASTRO
DE STIJL
Rep
Drives:

......since i have no BMW dealers as clients, I was hoping that out of the South Florida dealers here in South Florida, someone can recommend a competent one with reference to special orders....Thanks....

=
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2007, 06:02 PM   #12
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

TESLAASTRO, more people oder these cars than buy them off of the dealership lots. I've bought 6 new BMWs, always ordered it. I know of many, many people who do the same. Every BMW dealer can handle your order.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2007, 06:44 PM   #13
TESLAASTRO
DE STIJL
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryn View Post
TESLAASTRO, more people oder these cars than buy them off of the dealership lots. I've bought 6 new BMWs, always ordered it. I know of many, many people who do the same. Every BMW dealer can handle your order.
interesting....I had no idea

=
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2007, 09:14 PM   #14
UJackM
Private
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryn View Post
Are they willing to negotiate the price for special orders, too?
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2007, 09:51 PM   #15
~AJ
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: None

tklivory: thanks. Saved here in a Word document along with larryn's and irv's earlier posts from another thread.

Keep it coming; this is useful info!

-AJ
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2007, 09:55 PM   #16
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by UJackM View Post
Are they willing to negotiate the price for special orders, too?
Of course. It will depend on the desirability of the car as to how much (if any) you can get off. 3 series can be had for $800 over dealer invoice (what they paid for the car), if you shop right. It wasn't that way when the e90's were first released though.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2007, 10:27 PM   #17
UJackM
Private
Rep
Drives:

Man, this is great information. And I assume the right way is to go through the internet sales of a dealer or use one of the quote services on the internet? If you can have 328i at around $30,700 or so for the base and 128i comes out at more than $29,000 for the base, I will probably go for 328i.
Appreciate 0