BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-20-2023, 11:14 PM   #1
mersolen
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 50e

Augmented view on BMW X5 50e

Hi,
Have just purchased X5 50e and struggling to view sat nav with Augmented view. I thought this would come up as standard when setting destination.
When ordered I added the Technology pack that comes with "Live Cockpit Pro with Head up Display" so cant understand why I am unable to view any other than standard sat nav view.
Is there a setting to use this function?? Any help would be gratefully appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2023, 11:32 PM   #2
tatoweb
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2024 X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mersolen View Post
Hi,
Have just purchased X5 50e and struggling to view sat nav with Augmented view. I thought this would come up as standard when setting destination.
When ordered I added the Technology pack that comes with "Live Cockpit Pro with Head up Display" so cant understand why I am unable to view any other than standard sat nav view.
Is there a setting to use this function?? Any help would be gratefully appreciated.
AR display is only available with Driving Assistance Professional Package.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2023, 02:16 AM   #3
mojoJJ
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X6 xDrive40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatoweb View Post
AR display is only available with Driving Assistance Professional Package.
That’s incorrect. It’s a part of the Live Cockpit Professional Navigation which should be a part of Premium Package. (According to BMW press release attached below)

mersolen make sure you have enabled the AR view in settings and accepted all privacy terms etc. there should be a setting to select which screen AR view shows up during navigation, make sure it’s not set to off in there.

Other way you can check - when you press the options button on the steering wheel to switch HUD view etc, there should be an option to always display feed from the front camera in the instrument cluster. Does that work for you? It should work irrespective of whether you’re using navigation or not.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-21-2023, 03:38 AM   #4
mersolen
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 50e

mojoJJ Many thanks. I will give that a try.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2023, 10:07 AM   #5
apw2607
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e M-Sport

You can quickly determine if you have AR or not. Goto the layout in the cluster and scroll through available options. If you don't see AR in the cluster then you don't have this feature.

If you do then you can enable it all the time in the cluster and it acts like the assisted driving view and giving you the ability to see the virtual navigations turn markers.

OR you can choose to have a different layout, and then have the AR pop up way its time for a turn, in either the cluster OR the control display. BUT not both. The cluster does need to be set to show navigation if i recall for that to work.

Sadly the owners manual doesnt explain any of this behavior and logic, and the owner has to figure it out themselves. Note AR will only show up in the control display if you are in the navigation/map view, not just showing navigation/map onthe home screen !!
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2023, 06:12 PM   #6
bloozemanAZ
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 M850i Coupe

Garage List
Honestly it's a gimmick and the last setting I'll use in the cockpit display options. Turns on the front cameras for the "view". Really? I can either look straight out the windshield or watch where I'm going in the cockpit? One is way more valuable than the other. 👍
Appreciate 1
      10-22-2023, 06:28 PM   #7
Line Drive
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e

Garage List
2024 BMW X5 50e  [0.00]
I don’t really get the use case for it. It’s super-cool to look at once. But why would have it active all the time?
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2023, 06:48 PM   #8
TechCTU
Major
Rep
Drives: 2025 BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Line Drive View Post
I don’t really get the use case for it. It’s super-cool to look at once. But why would have it active all the time?
I find it useful when going to new places that are very stressful and fast paced like busy highways in NY.

I put it on the main NAV screen and it only pops up when you are about to turn. It helps when you have many exits in a row close together and the verbal directions may be confusing the live view with arrows is useful.

Like they say a picture is worth a thousand words.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2023, 07:36 PM   #9
cdhowell
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 50e / Tesla Model Y

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechCTU View Post
I find it useful when going to new places that are very stressful and fast paced like busy highways in NY.

I put it on the main NAV screen and it only pops up when you are about to turn. It helps when you have many exits in a row close together and the verbal directions may be confusing the live view with arrows is useful.

I do appreciate the arrows that pop up on the AR screen when the turn is within sight.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2023, 11:26 PM   #10
apw2607
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechCTU View Post

Yes, I’m the same. I just use it in the control display. The AR view in the cluster is suppose to offer both the same directions and assisted driving combined, but it isn’t as useful as the regular assisted driving view. Too much clutter and distraction.

As for the assisted driving view in the HUD which is new in 07/2023, that’s completely useless and it doesn’t show the lanes and cars adjacent to you.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2023, 04:22 AM   #11
mobilejo
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G06 X6 40i

Does AR view run all the time that a route is programmed into the Nav system, or does it only come on at junctions?
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2023, 05:24 AM   #12
TechCTU
Major
Rep
Drives: 2025 BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilejo View Post
Does AR view run all the time that a route is programmed into the Nav system, or does it only come on at junctions?
It comes on right before a turn is needed so not distracting.
Appreciate 1
mobilejo1116.00
      10-23-2023, 10:24 AM   #13
apw2607
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilejo View Post
It depends.

You can choose to have it on all the time, but only in the cluster by selecting that layout view. When used like this, its used as assisted driving view and navigation turns.

Otherwise you can choose to have it popup in either cluster or control display when you are in navigation/map view and route guidance is active.
Appreciate 3
      10-24-2023, 02:51 AM   #14
Sharkmonster
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X5 50e

Hi all... First things first.. Huge thank you to you all.. I didn't even know that my 24 X5 50e had this feature. It's awesome. I did have the same issue and couldn't get it to come on, even trying all of the tips & tricks here. There are two settings, one to enable it and one to decide where you see it. The problem was. I didn't have my instrument cluster layout in a way to view Nav. Don't like it. I get enough info in the Head up display. I wanted to enable it in the main screen (Control display) - To do this I went to Display, Instrument Cluster, Route Guidance, Augmented view and changed it to Control Display. It was set to Instrument Cluster. It all works perfectly now. Thank you again and happy motoring!
Appreciate 1
TechCTU784.50
      10-24-2023, 03:50 AM   #15
lackland
Rep
Drives: BMW iX M60 2024

Augmented view is also very useful for determining just what the autonomous driving system is using as its critical boundaries since it brackets what it believes is the nearest vehicle in front of it and displays what it is treating as lane boundaries.
Appreciate 0