E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Rear Sub-frame pin or bush worn but not resulting in excessive movement

11-19-2023, 02:41 PM   #1
Xpoppyxx
Rep
Drives: BMW 320D E90

Rear Sub-frame pin or bush worn but not resulting in excessive movement

Hi folks,

I'm new here to the E90 forums and I'm hoping I might be able to get a bit of advice. I have recently purchased my first BMW 3 series. A 2011 BMW 320D 184HP (E90) to be precise. I've manged to pick it up for a fair price but this is due to there being a couple of bits and pieces as advisorys on its recent MOT. The majority of the work I can fix myself. For example the brake discs and pads along with the front control arms. I'm not a mechanic by any stretch of the imagination but I know enough to complete these tasks myself. There is one item I haven't come across before so.i am hopeful that someone might be able to offer advice. The issue in question is as follows:

Rear Sub-frame pin or bush worn but not resulting in excessive movement

Is this a difficult task to fix? Or am I best off getting it to a garage, and if I was to take to it a garage has anyone got a rough idea of what I should expect to pay? Unfortunaly as a female there have been occasions where they see a woman coming and the prices increase. I'm not saying all mechs do this, but it does happen. So a rough ball park figure would be helpful.

Any advice on how to tackle this would be much appreciated.

Thanks for taking the time to help out
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2023, 07:49 PM   #2
CLEAN13BOOSTED
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW E93 3351

Hi, are you able to attach picture of the worn bushing? Is it causing any noise or wheel alignment concerns?
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2023, 08:13 AM   #3
eljay
Colonel
Rep
Drives: ///M + E91

Welcome to the forum!
Lots of great info around here, so I'm sure we can help you out.
Are you able to go back to the place that did MOT to ask them if they can specify which bushing it is?

I went through a rear subframe refresh myself, so you can see some detail in my thread here: https://www.e90post.com/forums/showt...495946&page=18
Scroll down to post #392.

The other note is that if there is one bushing worn, the other side is likely gone too along with other n the control arms etc. So, if you just want to pass MOT, address just the one, but if you plan a full refresh, do it all at once - again depending on which bushing it is.
Appreciate 0