bimmerpost/
BMW M2 and 2-Series Coupe
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
BMW 2 Series Technical Topics (G42) Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls

12-09-2023, 09:52 AM   #1
RockCrusher
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2023 ZB M2 6-speed

Battery charging message...

In my 2024 230i xDrive yesterday and for kind of a change I had the car in Comfort mode. I have had it in sport mode with all the various settings set to Comfort but in sport mode so I could view the sport displays. I wanted to monitor oil temperature and boost pressure.

Anyhow the car was not in Sport mode but in Comfort mode and I was driving along and this message appeared. (See pic below.)

AFAIK the car is not equipped with the mild hybrid power system. (It is not listed in the car's spec's but I should open the hood and confirm the battery is not in the engine compartment where I understand this battery should be if the feature is present.)

The message appeared every time I let the car coast. Thinking the battery charge might be low -- despite the fact I do not use the car for short trips -- I let it coast a lot and the message appeared every time.

I could not find any means to view the charge of the battery.

The car was not manifesting any signs of low battery.

Guess I don't really have any questions well, except if anyone knows of a way to view the battery voltage or state of battery charge?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-09-2023, 10:21 AM   #2
WilcoJunoHotel
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 M240i RWD

Regenerative Braking?
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2023, 05:13 AM   #3
RockCrusher
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilcoJunoHotel View Post
Regenerative Braking?
No mention of regenerative breaking in the owners manual. My 230i doesn't have a mild hybrid power system. (Well, I don't think it does. None mentioned in the specs although I still haven't opened the hood to check for the presence of a mild hybrid power battery.)

I do see mention of adaptive recuperation which is selected under certain conditions vs. just allowing the vehicle to coast.

My M-B cargo van had something like this. I could tell when it was active via a graphic on the dash.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2023, 06:05 AM   #4
WilcoJunoHotel
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 M240i RWD

The window sticker (see below) on my '24 M240i has a "regenerative alternator" listed which I think may be part of the regenerative braking system that is on a lot of BMW vehicles nowadays. Not the same as a hybrid system which my car does not have.

This also may help: https://g30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1516730
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-18-2023, 08:55 PM   #5
RockCrusher
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilcoJunoHotel View Post
The window sticker (see below) on my '24 M240i has a "regenerative alternator" listed which I think may be part of the regenerative braking system that is on a lot of BMW vehicles nowadays. Not the same as a hybrid system which my car does not have.

This also may help: https://g30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1516730
In the case of my 230i xDrive probably regenerative alternator. Don't know about any regenerative braking system. Didn't feel the car slow more than I believed was just due to engine compression working through an automatic transmission.

Had something similar with my M-B cargo van. But it had a display that showed instantaneous fuel economy but when coasting showed a blue bar that indicated I guess how much regenerative charging was taking place.

But so far have not found anything similar with the 230i. Well, just occurred to me maybe there's something available if I put it into Eco mode.

Oh, was looking in the owners manual for info on battery charging. Found instead a section on *adaptive recuperation*. It is only adaptive in vehicles with mild hybrid technology. Which my car doesn't have.

But my car gets just plain old recuperation which works when coasting with no brake pedal depressed or accelerator pedal being operated. ECO PRO mode must be active and DSC active. And the section that covers this mentions displaying something on the instrument cluster or on the control display.

Will look into this as soon as I can. Tomorrow is busy but Wednesday is free.
Appreciate 0