BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-15-2008, 11:41 PM   #1
d3syd
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i MT, LMB, ProNav

Garage List
2008 135i Coupe  [0.00]
Business v Professional Navi

Hi 1er gurus,

Apart for the separate DVD player on the Prof system, I was wondering if anyone knows the difference between the Business and Professional Navi System. BTW why do you need to have a separate DVD and CD drive anyway as you cant watch a DVD and listen to a CD at the same time?

I've optioned the Prof system, but was thinking that I should downgrade to a Business system if there isn't much difference and save AU$1,500.

Fun Car: 135i Manual LeMans Blue / Beige Leather / Grey Poplar / pro nav / euro plates. Delivered 24 June 08
Family Car: Land Rover Discovery 4 SDV6
Spare Car:
Volvo V70 Sydney Car: MB 420SEL
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2008, 05:56 AM   #2
imported_SteveG
10" Member
Rep
Drives:

I believe that the Business system does not show maps, only directional arrows and voice prompts - like the RH window in the Pro system.

I think the screen is smaller also.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2008, 08:31 PM   #3
nitramluap
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2004 E46 318i

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3syd View Post
I was wondering if anyone knows the difference between the Business and Professional Navi System.
The only difference is the CD playing issue and that you don't have the option of a split-screen (map & arrow) display.

The previous generation of the 'business' navigation only showed arrows and no maps, but not this new version in the 1er.
I have the Professional Navigation:
http://homepage.mac.com/nitramluap/120d/
http://web.mac.com/nitramluap/Biodiesel/

Quote:
BTW why do you need to have a separate DVD and CD drive anyway as you cant watch a DVD and listen to a CD at the same time?
The separate drives mean that you can play a CD and still have the map database in the other drive. The business system only has one slot, so it is either an audio CD or the map database. However, you can dial up a destination and then navigate and remove the disc to play a CD. It loads the map info relevent to your trip into memory. If it needs to read the map disc again, it will ask you to reinsert it.

BTW, you can't watch DVD video with these drives. They are DVD-ROM readers, for large map databases on DVD.

HTH

Cheers,

Paul Martin
Australia
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2008, 08:34 PM   #4
nitramluap
Private First Class
Rep

One other thing:

The screen size is the SAME for both business and professional navigation, in the 1er. The larger BMWs have different screens for the two types of navigation, with the 1er screen being the same dimensions as the screen in a 3er with Business navigation.

Cheers,

Paul
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2008, 08:34 PM   #5
pwong888
Private
Rep
Drives:

I think for Canada it come with the professional head unit.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2008, 08:40 PM   #6
d3syd
Major
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2008 135i Coupe  [0.00]
Thanks Paul, you've answered one of my questions I just asked in the other nav screen tread. Cheers.

Fun Car: 135i Manual LeMans Blue / Beige Leather / Grey Poplar / pro nav / euro plates. Delivered 24 June 08
Spare Car:
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2008, 08:52 PM   #7
nitramluap
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Thanks Paul, you've answered one of my questions I just asked in the other nav screen tread. Cheers.
I know. I've replied to that one too!!

Paul
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2008, 09:54 PM   #8
cracka
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

I hate to threadjack, but evidently not that much because I'm about to.

Paul,
I love your lemon interior. How do you like it so far? It's clearly beautiful, but how is it to live with?

Great photo set, by the way. Thanks. :biggrin:
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2008, 02:53 AM   #9
nitramluap
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cracka View Post
I hate to threadjack, but evidently not that much because I'm about to.

Quote:
I love your lemon interior. How do you like it so far? It's clearly beautiful, but how is it to live with?

Great photo set, by the way. Thanks. :biggrin:
Thanks! I love it - and I see you'll soon be loving it!
The contrast is beautiful and I thought it much nicer than the dark brown. I certainly didn't like beige or gray!

It does require a little more TLC than darker leathers but not much. Dark clothes (particularly dark jeans) rub their colour off on the leather but it wipes off easily with some leather cleaning foam and probably only needs doing once a fortnight.

We also have a 2004 318i with natural brown leather which I'm hoping to trade for a 1er coupe with red leather :biggrin: - but I want BMW Australia to bring in the 123d. As much as I love the sound of that 3.5 litre petrol, I want to run them on my biodiesel

Paul
PS: If anyone wants particular photos of some aspect of the iDrive or the car, let me know - I'd be happy to take some shots for you.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2008, 09:05 AM   #10
Garrett
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2004 330ci

Quote:
Hi 1er gurus,

Apart for the separate DVD player on the Prof system, I was wondering if anyone knows the difference between the Business and Professional Navi System. BTW why do you need to have a separate DVD and CD drive anyway as you cant watch a DVD and listen to a CD at the same time?

I've optioned the Prof system, but was thinking that I should downgrade to a Business system if there isn't much difference and save AU$1,500.

Your talking about two completly different things.... One plays music and the other is a navigational aid...!

When you go with iDrive you get a monitor that control all your radio function too. It's primary use is for showing you the navigational maps, but the DVD is needed to load those maps from. It's not a DVD player that shows movies....!
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2008, 04:12 PM   #11
nitramluap
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett View Post
Your talking about two completly different things.... One plays music and the other is a navigational aid...!
Not quite true.

They both play audio CDs & MP3 CDs. The DVD reader, whilst meant for the map database disc (DVD or CD) can also play MP3 DVDs (ie. DVD disc with MP3 files in folders, etc).

Quote:
It's primary use is for showing you the navigational maps
I've found that it's primary use really depends on who you are or what you're doing. I'll have it displaying a map as often as I have it displaying my iPod's playlist or radio stations.

The buttons on the head unit (if you can really call it that!) allow you to:
- turn the audio on/off (press volume knob)
- adjust the volume (volume knob)
- eject the CD in the drive
- select next station/track (CD, MP3 or iPod) (press < or > buttons)
- fast forward track or scan radio (hold < or > buttons)

The function of the < & > buttons mirros that of the steering wheel buttons with the up/down arrows.

There are also 8 Favourite buttons:
- lightly touching the surfaces shows you what is assigned on a little 'tab' at the bottom of the screen (the 'dock' if you like :wink
- lightly touching, but holding on a button (not pressing) will then show you a full screen display of what is assigned to that button
- Favourites can be Audio sources (iPod, specific radio stations, CD, etc), Navigation destinations or phone numbers (either in your address book, or custom numbers)
- A little icon shows you what it is - brown note (audio), green arrow (nav) or blue phone (phone number)

Pressing the button fully will jump to that audio source, navigate to the destination or call the number without further input.
Pressing and holding the button will assign it what is currently on screen if what you are looking at is either an audio source, navigation destination or a phone number.

It works brilliantly. In addition, each key remembers all settings for that driver including their favourite button assignments!

The DVD slot only has an eject button next to it but it will read audio discs if you put one in.

I hope this makes things clearer.

Cheers,

Paul Martin
www.paulnika.com
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2008, 06:03 PM   #12
d3syd
Major
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2008 135i Coupe  [0.00]
Wow Paul, that sounds both very sophisticated and complicated. How long did you take to master i-drive? Hopefully it will be easier in practice.

Spare Car:
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2008, 09:48 PM   #13
nitramluap
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Wow Paul, that sounds both very sophisticated and complicated. How long did you take to master i-drive? Hopefully it will be easier in practice.
You'll be fine.

It is both sophisticated and complicated, but after understanding how you work with it, it is very intuitive (despite what the motoring journalists think). After a while, you'll be happy that BMW opted for a minimalist cockpit (cf Audi, Mercedes, etc) with few buttons. It is interesting that the other car manufacturers are now producing interfaces very similar to iDrive, but they still include a million buttons 'just in case'.

I spent an hour or so just playing with it and trying things, then I read the manual (in the garage) :wink:

It only really took a week to know it back to front. It is quite intuitive for the most part.

Menu button takes you to the main menu (or sometimes back a level)
Up/Down/Left/Right - moves you between sections on a screen
Pressing the controller selects/highlights
Rotating scrolls through lists or adjusts sliders, when selected.

Little iDrive tips:
- In any menu, moving the controller (U/D/L/R) and holding it there will jump to either 'Communication', 'Entertainment', 'Climate' or 'Navigation, no matter what you're currently viewing.
- To get to settings (the (i) menu) press the controller down in the main menu.
- When in map view, simply rotating the controller changes the zoom
- When scrolling lists on the iPod, spinning the controller quickly scrolls faster through the list (makes getting to Albums starting with 'Z' much faster!)

The voice control helps a lot too, although it does mute the audio during commands (sort of obvious) and if you have passengers you have to ask them to be quiet so you can talk to your car :biggrin:

Saying 'options' after the beep, gives you a list of voice commands available for the currently visible screen. Saying 'help' gives you general help.

There are also global commands that work in every menu, for example:
'Map' - displays the last viewed map (you can bring up specific views too - 'Perspective')
'A to Z' - brings up the phonebook
'Call XXX' - where XXX is a name as it appears in the phonebook, will ask you if you want to call that number, to which you reply 'yes' :biggrin:
'Address Book' - brings up the navigation address book
'FM' - turns on the FM radio (you can actually say something like 'One hundred and six point one megahertz' and it will tune to 106.1 :biggrin:

You get the idea...!

Paul
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2008, 10:41 PM   #14
d3syd
Major
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2008 135i Coupe  [0.00]
Thanks again Paul for your comprehensive run down of i-drive. Like anything I guess it will be easy once you get the hang of it. I don't mind gadgets so I know I'm going to have fun. I didn't option voice command and I don't have a bluetooth phone so I guess things will be a little less complicated for me. :-)

One question, are you able to display things like coolant temperature (as there is no guage on the 135), service intervals, and trip computer stuff on the i-drive screen?

Spare Car:
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2008, 11:35 PM   #15
nitramluap
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
One question, are you able to display things like coolant temperature (as there is no guage on the 135), service intervals, and trip computer stuff on the i-drive screen?
No temperature gauge on the 120d (can't speak for the 135i). There is a trip computer, journey computer and a stopwatch! From an engine/systems point of view you can see the oil level and check to see the service interval on many items including oil, brake pads, etc.

Cheers,

Paul
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2008, 12:28 AM   #16
d3syd
Major
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2008 135i Coupe  [0.00]
:w00t:

Spare Car:
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2008, 12:44 PM   #17
Garrett
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2004 330ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitramluap View Post
Not quite true.

They both play audio CDs & MP3 CDs. The DVD reader, whilst meant for the map database disc (DVD or CD) can also play MP3 DVDs (ie. DVD disc with MP3 files in folders, etc).

I've found that it's primary use really depends on who you are or what you're doing. I'll have it displaying a map as often as I have it displaying my iPod's playlist or radio stations.

The buttons on the head unit (if you can really call it that!) allow you to:
- turn the audio on/off (press volume knob)
- adjust the volume (volume knob)
- eject the CD in the drive
- select next station/track (CD, MP3 or iPod) (press < or > buttons)
- fast forward track or scan radio (hold < or > buttons)

The function of the < & > buttons mirros that of the steering wheel buttons with the up/down arrows.

There are also 8 Favourite buttons:
- lightly touching the surfaces shows you what is assigned on a little 'tab' at the bottom of the screen (the 'dock' if you like :wink
- lightly touching, but holding on a button (not pressing) will then show you a full screen display of what is assigned to that button
- Favourites can be Audio sources (iPod, specific radio stations, CD, etc), Navigation destinations or phone numbers (either in your address book, or custom numbers)
- A little icon shows you what it is - brown note (audio), green arrow (nav) or blue phone (phone number)

Pressing the button fully will jump to that audio source, navigate to the destination or call the number without further input.
Pressing and holding the button will assign it what is currently on screen if what you are looking at is either an audio source, navigation destination or a phone number.

It works brilliantly. In addition, each key remembers all settings for that driver including their favourite button assignments!

The DVD slot only has an eject button next to it but it will read audio discs if you put one in.

I hope this makes things clearer.

Cheers,

Paul Martin
www.paulnika.com

You didn't read the OPs post... he said BESIDES the additional DVD player... what is the difference in them. Since one is a audio only stereo and the other is a Navigation system... plus Logic7. I was confused by his opening post of what the differences were. Thus my clarifying post.

I was waiting for him to respond to my post, So I could further elaborate on the DIFFERENCE between the Business High-fi audio and the Professional Aidio + iDrive/Nav. Which, is what I think he was trying to ask, but I wasn't willing to presume until he responded.

The obvious difference in the two is tha fact you have navigation screen that can also be used to adjust audio perameters. What isn't so obvious is in the audio components. With the inclusion of Idrive/Nav, you also get the logic7 sound system.

Thats the difference.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2008, 02:18 PM   #18
nitramluap
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
You didn't read the OPs post... he said BESIDES the additional DVD player... what is the difference in them. Since one is a audio only stereo and the other is a Navigation system... plus Logic7. I was confused by his opening post of what the differences were. Thus my clarifying post.

I was waiting for him to respond to my post, So I could further elaborate on the DIFFERENCE between the Business High-fi audio and the Professional Aidio + iDrive/Nav. Which, is what I think he was trying to ask, but I wasn't willing to presume until he responded.

The obvious difference in the two is tha fact you have navigation screen that can also be used to adjust audio perameters. What isn't so obvious is in the audio components.
Actually, the question was about the difference between the Business and Professional Navigation Systems, not the stereo. I answered that question in my first reply. He then asked additional questions and I answered those.

Quote:
Which, is what I think he was trying to ask, but I wasn't willing to presume until he responded.
No need for that flippant remark.

Quote:
With the inclusion of Idrive/Nav, you also get the logic7 sound system.

Thats the difference.
Actually, in our market the Logic 7 stereo is an independent option. The navigation system can either be Business or Professional. The stereo is just the standard stereo, amp & speakers but we have two choices of optioning it up - HiFi 10, or HiFi 10 Professional. There is no Logic 7 on the base stereo no matter what navigation system you choose.

He seemed happy with my responses and didn't appear confused to me.

Regards,

Paul Martin
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2008, 05:44 PM   #19
d3syd
Major
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2008 135i Coupe  [0.00]
Thanks Paul, your response to my OP, you answered all I wanted to know.

Garrett, all I was asking was: besides having a 2nd DVD drive on the dash with the Prof system, what other difference is there compared to the Business system. Sorry if I wasn't clear enough.

Quote:
Since one is a audio only stereo and the other is a Navigation system... plus Logic7. I was confused by his opening post of what the differences were.
Over here the nav system comes in Business or Professional, so Business is not an audio only stereo. I think this is where the confusion stems from.

Spare Car:
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2008, 10:25 PM   #20
cracka
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

For the record, I believe you've been one of the clearest, most informative and accommodating current 1-series owners posting around here, Paul. Your efforts and time are sincerely appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2008, 10:45 PM   #21
nitramluap
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
For the record, I believe you've been one of the clearest, most informative and accommodating current 1-series owners posting around here, Paul. Your efforts and time are sincerely appreciated!
Thank you.

Feel free to ask me anything you like regarding the car, bearing in mind of course that I have a 5 door hatchback diesel :wink:

If something isn't clear or if you want a picture to confirm something, just ask.

I'm thinking of going downstairs and taking photos of every iDrive screen and putting them on a web page. What do you think?

Regards,

Paul
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2008, 11:12 PM   #22
d3syd
Major
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2008 135i Coupe  [0.00]
Yes that would be interesting if it's not too much trouble.:w00t:

Spare Car:
Appreciate 0