BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-24-2008, 10:51 AM   #1
john970
1er
Rep
Drives: 08 135

Nav screen flipup

Since the button I thought opened and lowered the nav screen seems to be for the traction control (just under the nav screen), does anyone know if you can, and under what circumstances, raise and lower the nav screen manually?

This has been mentioned before but I couldn't find a definitive answer on the boards.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2008, 12:51 PM   #2
ehnaych
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2001 325xi

As I understand it you can program one of the smart buttons on the steering wheel to do just that. There is a function in the idrive menu to lower the screen, so if you assign this to one of the buttons you should be able to lower the screen at any time you choose. You'll likely lose all idrive functionality when you do that though, effectively turning the system off. This is all yet to be seen, as BMW hasn't used the flip up screen for idrive (only nav) on any cars before the 1er. Maybe one of our European friends could answer more definitively, as they will have used the system.

~Noel
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2008, 01:28 PM   #3
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

Forgive my ignorance, but isn't there a latch button to open the screen, about 2" in front of the one that turned out to be traction control?

If you can power open/close that by a steering wheel control, I want to mod my car so the actuator gets moved to my sun visor. I'd be pimpin' power sun visors, controlled from a button on the steering wheel! :wink:

Seriously, I believe if you have it lowered (which I think is manually done), turning on the radio raises it.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2008, 01:35 PM   #4
ehnaych
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2001 325xi

I don't think there is a latch button. There is a button just like the one I think you are describing in Euro cars that have the storage package which opens and closes the bin in the dash. I believe the 1er Nav opens a) at start up, b) by command via button or, as you suggested, c) by turning on something like the radio.

~Noel
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2008, 05:10 PM   #5
john970
1er
Rep
Drives: 08 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehnaych View Post
I don't think there is a latch button. There is a button just like the one I think you are describing in Euro cars that have the storage package which opens and closes the bin in the dash. I believe the 1er Nav opens a) at start up, b) by command via button or, as you suggested, c) by turning on something like the radio.

~Noel
+1, there is definitely a small motor that moves the screen up and down as the screen flips up and down with a press of the start/stop button. There is a video showing it move up as the car is turned on somewhere.

So the consensus is (?):

1. There is no dedicated button to move it up/down
2. There is a small motor controlling the flip up/down movement
3. It can be lowered while the car is on by some setting within iDrive assigning the flip up/down to an iDrive preset button.

The question still remains what functionality there is with the screen down. I would like to be able to turn on the radio with the screen down, and use the steering wheel controls for volume, etc.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2008, 08:09 PM   #6
nitramluap
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2004 E46 318i

Quote:
Originally Posted by john970 View Post
The question still remains what functionality there is with the screen down. I would like to be able to turn on the radio with the screen down, and use the steering wheel controls for volume, etc.
You can raise & lower the screen in the (i) menu of iDrive or you can configure one of the custom steering wheel buttons to raise/lower the screen. My buttons are configured to 1) mute audio (pauses iPod), and 2) raise/lower screen.

In iDrive you can configure how you'd like the screen to behave. So you can have it stay down or pop up (if closed) when certain things are happening (eg. PDC activation, navigation instructions, incoming call, engine start, etc). The other steering wheel buttons (and the head-unit buttons) all still function with the screen up or down, as does the navigation system.

This is also customised in the (i) menu.

The nice thing about the 1er screen (compared to the double-hump cars) is that when the screen is off it is OFF - not just a blacked out, but *still backlit* LCD screen.

Let me know if you have any questions on any of the systems. To help, my car has the following:
- Professional Navigation
- Business Bluetooth (I can send nav info to the car from the internet)
- Voice Recognition
- USB (6FL option)
- Bi-xenons
- Active Headlights
- Comfort Access
- Interior & Exterior Lights Package
- Interior & Exterior Mirror Package
- 18" runflats (normal suspension)
- Leather sports seats (electric)
- Logic 7 sound system

Not sure what the standard spec in a US 1er is though!

Here are plenty of iDrive shots from my car
http://homepage.mac.com/nitramluap/120d/

Hope this helps,

Paul Martin
http://web.mac.com/nitramluap/Biodiesel
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2008, 08:15 PM   #7
nitramluap
Private First Class
Rep

One other thing:

You can adjust the 'angle' of the screen if it is not quite right for you, and it will remember this position next time it opens. You adjust it by physically moving it.

You can also close the screen by moving it further until it is almost closed. The motor will then close it for you.

Paul
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2008, 08:21 PM   #8
d3syd
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i MT, LMB, ProNav

Garage List
2008 135i Coupe  [0.00]
Thanks for the offer Paul. Can you answer these questions please:

- With the 2 cd drives you get with the prof nav, is one dedicated to DVD video and the other for music?
- Is the DVD drive used for your maps, if so does the mapping disk need to be in the drive while you are navigating?
- Can you configure the maps to have a 'birds eye' view or are they only in plan view?
- Do you get headlight washers standard with Xenons?

Thanks
Yen

Fun Car: 135i Manual LeMans Blue / Beige Leather / Grey Poplar / pro nav / euro plates. Delivered 24 June 08
Family Car: Land Rover Discovery 4 SDV6
Spare Car:
Volvo V70 Sydney Car: MB 420SEL
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2008, 08:47 PM   #9
nitramluap
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3syd View Post
Thanks for the offer Paul. Can you answer these questions please:

- With the 2 cd drives you get with the prof nav, is one dedicated to DVD video and the other for music?
No, one is for the map database (DVD drive) and the other is a CD player. They both can play audio CDs and MP3 CDs. The DVD drive is also capable of playing MP3 DVDs as well. The system does not play DVD videos unfortunately.
Quote:
- Is the DVD drive used for your maps, if so does the mapping disk need to be in the drive while you are navigating?
Yes, to a point. If your route has been calculated, and you eject the disc, it will be fine unless you go off course significantly, at which point it will ask for the disc back. If you eject the disc if you're not navigating, the map will just disappear.
Quote:
- Can you configure the maps to have a 'birds eye' view or are they only in plan view?
Yes. Three views possible: North orientated, Vehicle orientated and Perspective (ie. birds eye). Street names are not visible in Perspective mode.

The split screen display is great. It only appears (if enabled) when you're navigating to a destination, showing a map on the left and arrows on the right. When the navigating is finished it shows your location. If you then exit the map and return to the map, it reverts to a full-screen map.

Quote:
- Do you get headlight washers standard with Xenons?
Yes. All cars fitted with Xenon projectors are required to have washers so as not to dazzle oncoming cars if dirt refracts the light.

Quote:
Thanks
Yen
No problem. Feel free to ask more questions!! :biggrin:

Paul
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2008, 09:13 PM   #10
d3syd
Major
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2008 135i Coupe  [0.00]
Thanks Paul, you've been a font of information. Definitely glad I'm getting the prof nav system, as swapping the nav dvd with music cds in the single business slot would be a pain.

Oh yes, just thought of another 2 questions:

- How often do you get update maps, from where and how much?

- How detailed are the maps, does it show minor roads in small towns for instance?

I have a portable Garmin StreetPilot and the detail is excellent, albeit on a pretty small screen.

Fun Car: 135i Manual LeMans Blue / Beige Leather / Grey Poplar / pro nav / euro plates. Delivered 24 June 08
Spare Car:
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2008, 02:41 AM   #11
nitramluap
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Thanks Paul, you've been a font of information. Definitely glad I'm getting the prof nav system, as swapping the nav dvd with music cds in the single business slot would be a pain.

Oh yes, just thought of another 2 questions:

- How often do you get update maps, from where and how much?
Current map database is v13 and it is on a DVD disc (which can be easily 'backed up'). BMW (and all devices) source their Australian map data from Sensis/Whereis: http://poweredby.whereis.com/content.aspx?PageID=292
They have recently released v14 and BMW should have v14 sometime soon. When they release a new version, so does BMW (albeit a few months later).

When do you get your car?

Quote:
- How detailed are the maps, does it show minor roads in small towns for instance?
Very detailed, and most small towns are now covered. See the above link for more info but essentially it should be exactly the same as any other map system as the data comes from the same place!

Quote:
I have a portable Garmin StreetPilot and the detail is excellent, albeit on a pretty small screen.
I hope that helps!

Paul
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2008, 02:52 AM   #12
d3syd
Major
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2008 135i Coupe  [0.00]
Thankis for the answers Paul. I should get my car in May. It's March build.

Spare Car:
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2008, 03:04 AM   #13
nitramluap
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Thankis for the answers Paul. I should get my car in May. It's March build.
Excellent!

I love the look of the coupe and I hope to trade our old 318i for a 123d coupe (if they bring them to Australia...)

The map database is something that is added to the car locally, so I would imagine that you'll have v14 with the car. Make sure they do give you the most up to date version.

Did you know that you can track your car, once it has been produced and you have a VIN (the dealer can give you the VIN as soon as it has left the factory)? I tracked my car on the ship, all the way from Germany!

Once you have your VIN, go to the Wallenius & Wilhelmsen website (www.2wglobal.com), select 'Cargo Tracking', track by 'Auto' and then enter your full VIN into the field marked 'Cargo ID'.

You'll see your car appear as soon as it has been booked for a journey. You can click on the VIN to look at the ship details, the journey details (where it will be and when), etc etc.

It certainly makes the wait exciting!

Paul Martin
www.paulnika.com

PS: If your car does come with v14, I'd be happy to look after an off-site backup of your map database for you :wink:
(BMW charges about $400 for it!)
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2008, 04:03 AM   #14
d3syd
Major
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2008 135i Coupe  [0.00]
Thanks Paul for the tracking info and the mapping update offer. I'll start tracking as soon as I can get a VIN from my dealer.

Biodiesel interests me. How much do you pay per litre and where do you get it from? ie are there dedicated outlets selling the stuff?

I have a diesel Discovery 3 and the price of diesel in Tassie is around $1.55 to $1.57 /litre. Filling up a 90 odd litre tank can be painful $wise. Luckly I get reasonable economy (for such a heavy car) compared to the V8 version.

Spare Car:
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2008, 05:16 AM   #15
nitramluap
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Biodiesel interests me. How much do you pay per litre and where do you get it from? ie are there dedicated outlets selling the stuff?

I have a diesel Discovery 3 and the price of diesel in Tassie is around $1.55 to $1.57 /litre. Filling up a 90 odd litre tank can be painful $wise. Luckly I get reasonable economy (for such a heavy car) compared to the V8 version.
My B100 is more expensive than biodiesel made from virgin rapeseed oil. It costs me $1.37 per litre at the moment and I get it from North Coast Biodiesel in Byron Bay - I'll soon have my own 600L tank at home in the garage (yes, it is perfectly legal).

You can buy it from many locations around the country in various blends (B20, B50, B100) but I'm not sure on specific locations in Tasmania. Check out this great Australian biodiesel forum for plenty of info and helpful advice (including retail outlets): www.biofuelsforum.com

One thing, the gelling of the biodiesel in the winter may be an issue for you down there but there are ways around this problem.

Cheers,

Paul
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2008, 05:18 AM   #16
linus
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 07 E90 335xi, 08 E92 335i

Excellent information. Thanks for explaining Paul! This one posts demonstrates to me the huge value of this forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitramluap View Post
You can raise & lower the screen in the (i) menu of iDrive or you can configure one of the custom steering wheel buttons to raise/lower the screen. My buttons are configured to 1) mute audio (pauses iPod), and 2) raise/lower screen.

In iDrive you can configure how you'd like the screen to behave. So you can have it stay down or pop up (if closed) when certain things are happening (eg. PDC activation, navigation instructions, incoming call, engine start, etc). The other steering wheel buttons (and the head-unit buttons) all still function with the screen up or down, as does the navigation system.

This is also customised in the (i) menu.

The nice thing about the 1er screen (compared to the double-hump cars) is that when the screen is off it is OFF - not just a blacked out, but *still backlit* LCD screen.

Let me know if you have any questions on any of the systems. To help, my car has the following:
- Professional Navigation
- Business Bluetooth (I can send nav info to the car from the internet)
- Voice Recognition
- USB (6FL option)
- Bi-xenons
- Active Headlights
- Comfort Access
- Interior & Exterior Lights Package
- Interior & Exterior Mirror Package
- 18" runflats (normal suspension)
- Leather sports seats (electric)
- Logic 7 sound system

Not sure what the standard spec in a US 1er is though!

Here are plenty of iDrive shots from my car
http://homepage.mac.com/nitramluap/120d/

Hope this helps,

Paul Martin
http://web.mac.com/nitramluap/Biodiesel
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2008, 05:18 AM   #17
nitramluap
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
...and the mapping update offer
It was more of a request actually :wink:
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2008, 05:20 AM   #18
nitramluap
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by linus View Post
Excellent information. Thanks for explaining Paul! This one posts demonstrates to me the huge value of this forum.
No worries. I'm happy to help!

Paul
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2008, 05:02 PM   #19
GatoGrande
Gato Grande
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 X5 3.0 SI

Garage List
2008 BMW X5  [0.00]
Interesting thread, when you ordered the car - was there more than 1 Nav system options? In the US there was only 1 Nav System option - I wonder if it is the same or not.

Thanks for all the great information!

Appreciate 0
      03-11-2008, 07:08 PM   #20
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

In Australia they have two nav options.. the "BMW Radio Navigation System with favourite buttons" and the "BMW Navigation System Professional with favourite buttons and including Voice Recognition System".

Paul Martin has the pro system, which is what we get here too...
Appreciate 0