BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

Closed Thread

02-02-2008, 12:36 PM   #1
Evolved
Bad Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Evo

Continued discussion from the locked "how much boost" thread

Original thread
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3984

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garret
Wait... you know how to tune a car..?

Because, your whole post implies you need to take the lead when it comes to customization and tell a tuner exactly how you want it to work...? Are you kidding us..?

What do you mean by this..? Do you realize it would cost uypwards of $4-6k to have a professional tuner, fly in and do custom work. How is it that your so special and need custom work done..? Managmenet thats so precise and elaborate the the engine's ECU just wouldn't do..?

There is only one outcome coveted from a tune, which is nearly identical for everyone; the most efficient burn possible under the safest valuables allowed, without harming the engine.

-j. Brōōch

So, what professional tuner hase done custom work for you..? Did you bore the engine out, thus needing a custom tune..? Hunh?

eunosracr, Do you honestly think that hooking a laptop to a piggyback and adjusting a torque setting is tuning your car? LOL....!

Here is something so simple to prove your ignorant of what you speak. Do you realize that a Dinan Flash, or a Conforti Shark will know what Octane gas is in your car and adjust accordingly

With a piggyback, you have to manually download a map for such a feat! Wow... does that make you feal special... or closer to your tune? Like you somehow have done something "tuner like" ..? You still have to download the right map for your octane.. and some piggies have a neat trick where if you hold down a button and press another... it loads whatever map you had in that bank. Neat trick and sounds all dark and secretive....

Sorry just not needed for Dinan/Conforti..!

Matter-of-fact, when your pounding on your car out on the streets or at the track you don't have to think about anything related to tuning. Like anything proffesionally installed, you just don't have to worry about it.

ECUs control of over 2,000 engine functions. A piggyback is a harness that can only fool up to 11 - 12 of those...! Piggybacks are not "tune", because they havn't tuned anything... they piggyback on top of the tune, thus their name!

Now that we've established how little you are actually involved with the actual tuning of your car..... we get to hear with how a GUAGE can save your BMW engine..?

Because a boost guage does nothing... it just indicates what the engine is doing. You have no control over it... and if it does squak at you, your already too late. These engine are 10.2 to 1 compression, 5psi over and your engine might not recover. But it's a good thing that the ECU can see this and clamp down on it in milliseconds, before a human being could actually register it in his mind, let alone react to it...!

So if your overboosting, you have a bad piggy design. And a boost guage will do nothing to fix or stop it.

Though, they are kewl to look at and makes you feel more "in-tune" with your car. Ebay says people who buy this usually go with a BOV too.

But all the pozers like to be noticed... and heard!
You really have no idea what you are talking about. This post by you really shows your ignorance on the subject. There is nothing factual in what you are saying. A custom tune is 100% better than an off the shelf map.

I have a custom flash done by one of the top tuner shops in the country and is specific to my car and the mods on my car. That flash cost me all of $400.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2008, 12:39 PM   #2
Dave
formerly izzo/comeback
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 RC 350 F Sport

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.80]
thread lock in 5...4...3....2.....
      02-02-2008, 12:41 PM   #3
Evolved
Bad Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by izzodesh View Post
thread lock in 5...4...3....2.....
Shouldn't be locked, the discussion was off topic and that's why the first thread was locked.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2008, 12:43 PM   #4
Dave
formerly izzo/comeback
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.80]
i think the petty arguing was... i would just edit your original post to take out the petty stuff
other wise there is alot to gain from this discussion

I did love my knock light and autometer boost gauge both for cosmetic reasons and for tech purpose.

Until i mod i wot have one, but after 4 yrs i will have one in the flip up cig area so i know when to back off boost
      02-02-2008, 12:46 PM   #5
Evolved
Bad Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

How's that?
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2008, 12:47 PM   #6
Dave
formerly izzo/comeback
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.80]
def. more entertaing.... *popcorn*
      02-02-2008, 12:49 PM   #7
eunosracr
Colonel
Rep
Drives: a car

Garrett strikes again. For your information I have a custom tuned Turbo s2k. I had a custom tuned turbo 96 Probe GT, and custom tuned 99 turbo Mazda Miata. All of them had boost gauges with peak hold boost meters. I would say my experience in the realm of turbo cars is far greater than a guy that drives a Ford Escape. How much boost is that running? This kid cracks me up. Saying that an off the shelf tune is better then a custom tune with user adjustable settings. Rant over. I hope this does not get locked down as there is a bunch of valuable information in this thread. It really goes far to show who knows what they are talking about and those who just reads forums and simple repeats what they read. As stated before peak hold meters have saved my turbo motors numerous times.

Oh and news flash. All cars pull timing and adjust engine parameters based on fuel octane, not just tunes. The more you speak the less it shows you know...keep talking its entertaining.

Both custom tunes and off the shelf flashes each have their benefits. For those who want somthing simple that they do not want to tinker with the off the shelf flash is the way to go. For others who want full adjustability and max performance then the user adjustable tune is the way to go. That's why the both exist and there is a market for each one.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2008, 12:50 PM   #8
Evolved
Bad Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Took one more line out, no pun intended.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2008, 12:51 PM   #9
Evolved
Bad Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eunosracr View Post
Garrett strikes again. For your information I have a custom tuned Turbo s2k. I had a custom tuned turbo 96 Probe GT, and custom tuned 99 turbo Mazda Miata. All of them had boost gauges with peak hold boost meters. I would say my experience in the realm of turbo cars is far greater than a guy that drives a Ford Escape. How much boost is that running? This kid cracks me up. Saying that an off the shelf tune is better then a custom tune with user adjustable settings. Rant over. I hope this does not get locked down as there is a bunch of valuable information in this thread. It really goes far to show who knows what they are talking about and those who just reads forums and simple repeats what they read.
Not just repeating what they read but repeating bad info which is a whole lot worse.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2008, 12:55 PM   #10
eunosracr
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evolved View Post
Original thread
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3984

You really have no idea what you are talking about. This post by you really shows your ignorance on the subject. There is nothing factual in what you are saying. A custom tune is 100% better than an off the shelf map.

I have a custom flash done by one of the top tuner shops in the country and is specific to my car and the mods on my car. That flash cost me all of $400.

+100000 All my custom tunes have been from 400-800. I guess Garrett paid $4000.00 -6000.00 to custom tune his Ford Escape.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2008, 12:57 PM   #11
eunosracr
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evolved View Post
Not just repeating what they read but repeating bad info which is a whole lot worse.

That's how rumors start and how engines end up in pieces. Couldn't agree more!

Can anone tell me how many engines have been damaged by a piggy back??? How many have blown up??? I have yet to see 1. Feel free to correct me.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2008, 01:16 PM   #12
WhereItsAt
Constantly Learning
United_States
Rep
Drives: Four Wheels

The biggest difference between any of the tunes is that V2 allows for logging. This leads to people seeing small boost spikes - which all turbo's do (even factory). Each tuner (Dinan, Vishnu, Xede) has advantageous and draw backs. When your on top everyone will take shots. Mostly cheap though.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2008, 01:22 AM   #13
earth
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 e90

i love bimmer but i hate bimmer drivers
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2008, 10:03 AM   #14
Fast Kiwi
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Si Z4R & Si X3

Anyone got some butter for my popcorn??
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2008, 10:08 AM   #15
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

Locking this thread. It's trying to continue an argument with a banned person. Totally unneccessary.
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread