bimmerpost/
BMW M2 and 2-Series Coupe
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
BMW 2 Series Technical Topics (G42) Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls

01-16-2024, 03:07 PM   #1
AlexC2er
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: G42 M240i RWD

Oil Update

Not long ago. I made a post asking alternative oil for the b58 in the g42. I did not get a exact answer. So I emailed the genius, this is what he said

“For your BMW, you can add engine oils that meet the following oil rating standards: BMW Longlife-01 FE. If an engine oil suitable for continuous use is not available, up to 1 US quart/liter of an engine oil with the following oil rating can be added: API SL, API SM, or API SN.

When selecting an engine oil, make sure that the engine oil has the viscosity grade SAE 0W-30. The suitable viscosity grade is indicated on a label in the engine compartment.”

For the record, this is what I wrote to them “For my brand new G42 m240i with ztk package, only ll-17 fe+ which is 0w20 is listed. However, during the summer time I feel that might be too thin, especially so when doing occasional track days. Is there any alternative spec with a higher viscosity grade I could use? If there are, what are those specs? Does it void the warranty if I do use it?”

Does this mean that I can add 0-30w as well?
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2024, 03:43 PM   #2
Pentland
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i (G42)

You seem to be asking the same question until someone gives you the answer you want i.e. yes, you can use 0W30.

What does it say in your manual?
What does it say in the engine compartment?

There lies your answer.

If a BMW “genius” gives you a different answer, get confirmation in writing.
DO NOT ask your dealer, SA or best mate.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2024, 05:54 PM   #3
AlexC2er
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pentland View Post
You seem to be asking the same question until someone gives you the answer you want i.e. yes, you can use 0W30.

What does it say in your manual?
What does it say in the engine compartment?

There lies your answer.

If a BMW “genius” gives you a different answer, get confirmation in writing.
DO NOT ask your dealer, SA or best mate.
It is through email, does that count as confirmation through writing? So if it does come down as there is some issue that needs to be fixed under the warranty, would I be able to use it as evidence.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2024, 09:50 AM   #4
RockCrusher
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2023 ZB M2 6-speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexC2er View Post
Not long ago. I made a post asking alternative oil for the b58 in the g42. I did not get a exact answer. So I emailed the genius, this is what he said

“For your BMW, you can add engine oils that meet the following oil rating standards: BMW Longlife-01 FE. If an engine oil suitable for continuous use is not available, up to 1 US quart/liter of an engine oil with the following oil rating can be added: API SL, API SM, or API SN.

When selecting an engine oil, make sure that the engine oil has the viscosity grade SAE 0W-30. The suitable viscosity grade is indicated on a label in the engine compartment.”

For the record, this is what I wrote to them “For my brand new G42 m240i with ztk package, only ll-17 fe+ which is 0w20 is listed. However, during the summer time I feel that might be too thin, especially so when doing occasional track days. Is there any alternative spec with a higher viscosity grade I could use? If there are, what are those specs? Does it void the warranty if I do use it?”

Check your car's owners manual. The one for my 2024 230i xDrive allows for the use of 0w-20 or 0w-30 oil.

But check your owners manual. And then based on my experience with other brands of cars -- and the same I think applies in the case of BMW -- check with your dealer/service department in case BMW has removed 0w-30 from the list of suitable oils.

More and more factories are directing car owners to the dealer for these questions to get more up to date info -- for example while in my VW's manual VW called for 10K mile oil/filter services a bulletin was issued that cut this to 5K miles due the area/region (KC MO) being (re) classified as a severe/harsh usage area -- and so the factory doesn't have to reprint the owners manual.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2024, 05:51 AM   #5
SpecTaqlar
Romania
Rep
Drives: G42 M240i

Quote:

I've got 0w-30 listed on my manual - for an m240i xDrive ZTK package - but EU spec. Car came with 0w-20 and after the first oil change i switched to 0w-30 .

I not a BMW tech , nor a certified advisor - but i think it's pretty much assumed that you can go with the same spec oil considering we basically have the same spec car , built at the same plant. As far as i'm concerned - going for 0w-30 is an improvement on all levels except fuel efficiency - but better fuel efficiency kind of translates to greater engine internals wear.
Appreciate 1
AlexC2er108.00
      01-30-2024, 02:38 PM   #6
AlexC2er
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecTaqlar View Post
I've got 0w-30 listed on my manual - for an m240i xDrive ZTK package - but EU spec. Car came with 0w-20 and after the first oil change i switched to 0w-30 .

I not a BMW tech , nor a certified advisor - but i think it's pretty much assumed that you can go with the same spec oil considering we basically have the same spec car , built at the same plant. As far as i'm concerned - going for 0w-30 is an improvement on all levels except fuel efficiency - but better fuel efficiency kind of translates to greater engine internals wear.
I agree, I was trying to make sure that if I use 0w30 they’re not going to be like: oh your engine failed prematurely? That’s because you didn’t go with what the manual says or some bs like that.”

What I’m gonna do is use 0w20 in winter and 0-30 in summer
Appreciate 1
      01-31-2024, 04:48 AM   #7
SpecTaqlar
Romania
Rep
Drives: G42 M240i

Quote:
I agree, I was trying to make sure that if I use 0w30 they’re not going to be like: oh your engine failed prematurely? That’s because you didn’t go with what the manual says or some bs like that.”

What I’m gonna do is use 0w20 in winter and 0-30 in summer
They could but they probably will not go through the trouble to prove that you used different engine oil viscosity as per your technical manual.

Also - just theoretically , i have not tested this - but both are 0W - so it would be the same cold viscosity .

Only the viscosity at high temp differs , the 30 vs 20 part. Again , i've seen 0w-20 oil and at room temperature it does seem thinner than 0w-30 - but if go by the manufacturer , they should be similar.

Last edited by SpecTaqlar; 01-31-2024 at 09:23 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2024, 10:42 PM   #8
CarPoor
Discharged
Rep
Drives: G42 M240ix, JLU Rub, 10 S2 RX8

My manual allows me to use ll19 fe so I’m switching to Total Quartz Ineo Efficiency 0W-30. It’s got an operating viscosity similar to the ll04 5w30’s and 40’s I’ve been running.