BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-18-2008, 02:28 AM   #1
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

BMW Road Hazard Protection?

Anyone in Calgary, I'm referring to Calgary BMW's "Road Hazard Protection" or Tire Warranty.. I presume BMW Gallery is the same. It's $900. Maybe this applies at other dealerships as well.

I am debating adding this on because of the trouble people have had with RFTs.. there are couple nasty roads in Calgary and it might be useful. But $900? Ouch.. What do you guys think?

For anyone wanting to lend an opinion, or for comparison.. here's what the "plan" states:
- Covers 100% cost of replacement or repair
- Damaged rims replaced with OE
- Unlimited number of claims, no maximum claim amount
- Covered anywhere in North America
- Lasts 3 yrs or 100,000km, or until tire tread is 4/32"
      02-18-2008, 12:13 PM   #2
Bringinthewolf
1 for the road
Canada
Rep
Drives: SGM 135i Cabrio

I purchased the RF tire warrenty for our Mini last year but it was only about $700 (I think).
I'm not sure if I'll buy it for my 1. For that kind of money I would be tempted to go purchase a spare in the states and keep it in the garage in case it's ever needed. The only problem with that idea is that the 135 has different sizes front and rear so I would need two spares.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2008, 01:00 PM   #3
Klinn
Private
Rep
Drives:

Well, basically it's insurance. How unlucky do you feel? ;-) Personally, considering how few problems I've had with tires over the decades (and we've got some crappy roads around Ottawa) $900 sounds steep. I would rather self-insure, i.e. take my chances.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan View Post
- Damaged rims replaced with OE
You may wish to clarify if "OE" means "new". It is possible to get refurbished OEM wheels.

Quote:
- ... or until tire tread is 4/32"
Heh-heh, and I remember paying extra to shave some brand new Toyo RA1's so they were down to 4/32s. Much less squirmy going into turn one at the track. ;-)
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2008, 01:15 PM   #4
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Klinn: thanks.. this is why I'm glad I posted this. I never thought of that. The criteria only states "BMW Original Parts" but doesn't specify new or not! Good catch..