BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-21-2008, 03:17 AM   #1
coolguy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Speculation regarding Dinan 2 flash

Quoted from E90post.com. Not looking good for me if it's true since I'm already getting the stock sec oil cooler. My priority will be Helix attache first and sstt2 as 2nd option.

"I had my service guy check with his Dinan contact regarding the Dinan Phase 2 flash, and here's what he found out:
- The Phase 2 flash is still under development, likely out in next 4-8 weeks
- Flash will provide roughly 20 hp more than the regular Dinan Flash
- Phase 2 also requires the install of a Dinan provided (Spearco?) FMIC
- Lastly .... and this is the bad news .... Phase 2 flash requires the Dinan Oil Cooler upgrade (they will NOT do a phase 2 flash to cars equipped with the stock secondary oil cooler)"
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2008, 06:57 AM   #2
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

In other words, their phase 2 kit will cost >$4k plus $2k labor, for a 20hp bump.

They are totally loco, if you ask me.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2008, 07:03 AM   #3
theslik1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Lexus IS-F

I wouldn't blame anyone for wanting to install the Stage 1 Dinan tune, but Stage 2 prices will be ridiculous with the added hardware requirements.

I ain't feelin' it.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2008, 07:21 AM   #4
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i/AW E90 M3

Lets not get our panties in a bunch just yet. Dinan has not released any hp numbers or information. Its pure speculation at this point.
      02-21-2008, 08:19 AM   #5
Dave
formerly izzo/comeback
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 RC 350 F Sport

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.80]
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryn View Post
In other words, their phase 2 kit will cost >$4k plus $2k labor, for a 20hp bump.

They are totally loco, if you ask me.

but you get the dinan badge!
      02-21-2008, 08:23 AM   #6
Evolved
Bad Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Evo

What if you use a non Dinan aftermarket oil cooler, will they perform the flash then?
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2008, 09:13 AM   #7
UR2SLOW1
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Has anyone heard/read feedback from someone who has the stage 1 Dinan reflash ??
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2008, 09:22 AM   #8
Numb3rs
Banned
Rep
Drives: Looking

:respekt:

Actually, if you stop and think about this, having a 404HP / 450TQ (at crank) and being completely legal is an accomplishment. $7.5k for a one stop M3 like acceleration?

We are talking a ECU Tune, FMIC and Oil Cooler, thats all. Beating anything any tuner has touched! While maintaining the refinement of your car. No maps, no octane, no limp, no drag radials, etc.

Respect what an extra 20HP is. I have seen many claims in the last 3 weeks but it seems not many tuner can get past +50HP without hitting a wall or need of higher octane, etc. So I think Dinan deserve a little respect if they indeed have found 20HP on just a tune.

I like what the JuiceBox can do, with the "H" add-ons, but that does involve a little of high octane mixing at every fill-up.

I mean Dinan already claims at the crank: 384HP & 421lb-ft of torque, with substantial proof. +20HP more is nearing the Corvette C6. Perfect sleeper for those who want to afford it!
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2008, 09:48 AM   #9
MZWIE
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2

Dinan has never been good at bang for the buck. I think they rely too much on the whole BMW warranty thing.

There are many more vendors that have a much better cost equation.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2008, 11:14 AM   #10
Brandon26pdx
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

The stage 1 reflash sounds like a respectable bang for the buck, even at Dinan's inflated prices. I would consider it for easy power increase and better drivablility. Supposedly it lowers oil temps too since it overdrives the water pump.

The stage 2 sounds like alot of money for not that much gain. They'll charge for the stage 2 reflash (even if you have the stage 1), the FMIC will be ungodly expensive to buy/install, and if they require the Dinan oil cooler on top of that, there goes another $2k+ install.

3" catless downpipes are the 2nd best HP mod for the money after a tune/reflash.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2008, 11:22 AM   #11
E82tt6
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '08 Black Saphire Z4 MC

Anyone who would pay that needs to have their head checked, when you can get the same thing from Helix or AA for A LOT less money.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2008, 04:11 PM   #12
Evolved
Bad Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numb3rs View Post
:respekt:

Actually, if you stop and think about this, having a 404HP / 450TQ (at crank) and being completely legal is an accomplishment. $7.5k for a one stop M3 like acceleration?

We are talking a ECU Tune, FMIC and Oil Cooler, thats all. Beating anything any tuner has touched! While maintaining the refinement of your car. No maps, no octane, no limp, no drag radials, etc.

Respect what an extra 20HP is. I have seen many claims in the last 3 weeks but it seems not many tuner can get past +50HP without hitting a wall or need of higher octane, etc. So I think Dinan deserve a little respect if they indeed have found 20HP on just a tune.

I like what the JuiceBox can do, with the "H" add-ons, but that does involve a little of high octane mixing at every fill-up.

I mean Dinan already claims at the crank: 384HP & 421lb-ft of torque, with substantial proof. +20HP more is nearing the Corvette C6. Perfect sleeper for those who want to afford it!
Maybe in BMW land but not else where.

Take an Evo IX add an intake, tbe and flash for a total of around $2k and you will have a car that has 350hp/350tq at the wheels. Not to mention you will walk M3's. So for $7.5k I would expect a lot more.

But hey, people with BMW's have money to waste. Or at least that's what Dinan thinks.

And what do you mean by "no maps" and "no octane"? How do you think they flash the ECU?
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2008, 05:39 PM   #13
Italteen3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i JB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evolved View Post

Take an Evo IX add an intake, tbe and flash for a total of around $2k and you will have a car that has 350hp/350tq at the wheels. Not to mention you will walk M3's. So for $7.5k I would expect a lot more.

But hey, people with BMW's have money to waste. Or at least that's what Dinan thinks.

And what do you mean by "no maps" and "no octane"? How do you think they flash the ECU?
I think what he means is that on the PROcede there are different maps the user can upload for different applications. As far as the octane, in order to use a certain version of the Juice Box you need to up the octane above 93 for it to work optimally.

I am still leaning towards either the PROcede or Helix right now. Only time will tell!
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2008, 05:46 PM   #14
Numb3rs
Banned
Rep
Drives: Looking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evolved View Post

:wink:
In all due respect, we ARE talking about BMWs and specifically the N54 engine. So comparisons of other markets and other tunes are inconsequential.

I was admiring the Stage2 "package" itself, not the price. I think everyone is aware of the costs involved, but Dinan does offer a unique product.

Simply put, if price is such a concern that you cannot appreciate Dinan's offering, then so be it. But I find Dinan's data and quality top-notch and the latest rumoring of the Stage2 interesting! So I am willing to discuss it. Some people cannot afford PRocede, but that doesn't mean they cannot appreciate the "tune" itself. no?

I responded before about zealotry and people's agenda and find a lot of opinions, but not much data in many of these types of threads. Many threads over @ E90Post regarding the different tunes available for the N54, unfortunately those threads aren't supported by logical discussion and erupt into a "tuner war".

So, please re-read my first post. I respect Dinan's approach because it is completely legal and simple. I am not ignorant that you can gain HP other ways. But for what this is, I can appreciate the kit.

"no maps"? Means exactly that. The end user of this product has no needs to fidget with their car. There is no need because of the engineering behind the Stage2. You buy 3 things (flash, FMIC & oil cooler) and get 404 horsepower!

I find that impressive considering, we haven't discussed a cold air intake, exhaust, downpipes, diverter valves, etc.

In experience I have found mixing and matching tunes with different brands of aftermarket mods that were designed separately as stand alone products is somewhat voodoo science. Who else is offering "kits" for the N54?

Although, I find flirting with the idea of spending almost $10k in mods from Dinan, CRAZY! I still think Dinan has the best tune available for these cars. And in truth, I am coming from the Corvette world and do not own a BMW. But I plan on attending some meet & greets (hope to meet some of you) in the spring before ordering a 135i.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2008, 06:38 PM   #15
Evolved
Bad Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Italteen3 View Post
I think what he means is that on the PROcede there are different maps the user can upload for different applications. As far as the octane, in order to use a certain version of the Juice Box you need to up the octane above 93 for it to work optimally.

I am still leaning towards either the PROcede or Helix right now. Only time will tell!
I know what he meant, I wanted to hear it straight from him. In no way are multiple maps a bad thing.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2008, 06:38 PM   #16
Crowley
Major
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
In all due respect, we ARE talking about BMWs and specifically the N54 engine. So comparisons of other markets and other tunes are inconsequential.

I was admiring the Stage2 "package" itself, not the price. I think everyone is aware of the costs involved, but Dinan does offer a unique product.

Simply put, if price is such a concern that you cannot appreciate Dinan's offering, then so be it. But I find Dinan's data and quality top-notch and the latest rumoring of the Stage2 interesting! So I am willing to discuss it. Some people cannot afford PRocede, but that doesn't mean they cannot appreciate the "tune" itself. no?

I responded before about zealotry and people's agenda and find a lot of opinions, but not much data in many of these types of threads. Many threads over @ E90Post regarding the different tunes available for the N54, unfortunately those threads aren't supported by logical discussion and erupt into a "tuner war".

So, please re-read my first post. I respect Dinan's approach because it is completely legal and simple. I am not ignorant that you can gain HP other ways. But for what this is, I can appreciate the kit.

"no maps"? Means exactly that. The end user of this product has no needs to fidget with their car. There is no need because of the engineering behind the Stage2. You buy 3 things (flash, FMIC & oil cooler) and get 404 horsepower!

I find that impressive considering, we haven't discussed a cold air intake, exhaust, downpipes, diverter valves, etc.

In experience I have found mixing and matching tunes with different brands of aftermarket mods that were designed separately as stand alone products is somewhat voodoo science. Who else is offering "kits" for the N54?

Although, I find flirting with the idea of spending almost $10k in mods from Dinan, CRAZY! I still think Dinan has the best tune available for these cars. And in truth, I am coming from the Corvette world and do not own a BMW. But I plan on attending some meet & greets (hope to meet some of you) in the spring before ordering a 135i.

Nice read .. I still think it is fairly expensive but sometimes you get what you pay for. I know for my 2004 cobra.. all mods total for me plus installation (non performance mods included) were a little under $10k .. what did that get me? 510rwhp / 520rwtq and stock drivability. That included more than 3 parts of coarse and I made sure it was tuned to be safe .. it was my daily driver and couldn't live on the ragged edge. Sound like the dinan products would be a safe route to go.

Crowley

The last words on the powerplant should go to a clearly overwhelmed Hormazd Sorabjee, editor and publisher of Autocar India: “There is something simply magical about BMW’s in-line six. It has a creamy smoothness that makes velvet feel like sandpaper.”
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2008, 06:42 PM   #17
Evolved
Bad Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:

I totally disagree. But hey, that doesn't mean either of us are wrong, we just see things differently.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2008, 06:46 PM   #18
atr_hugo
No longer moderate
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

Dam - I had my finger on the 'Lock' trigger and youse guys are playing nice, where's the fun in that. :biggrin:
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2008, 06:49 PM   #19
0002s
Mein Führer! I can walk!
Rep
Drives: Not a BMW

ok..other than the name and "cheeky monkey" warranty...what do I get that piggy backs don't give me for sqwillions less?
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2008, 07:10 PM   #20
atr_hugo
No longer moderate
No_Country
Rep

I read the Dinan literature and the one thing that stood out was they were tweaking the code that runs the electric water pumps. By 'replacing' the stock code - rather than piggybacking (intercepting and re-aggregating the variables being returned to the stock code) they can fiddle with a bit more of the whole picture. It's a more 'holistic' approach if you will. (Where 'holistic' = expensive ; -)
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2008, 07:23 PM   #21
0002s
Mein Führer! I can walk!
Rep
Drives: Not a BMW

Ah.....I see

So turning up the boost and leaning the engine out needs water pump reprogramming. I guess all the 335i piggy backers are missing out on "the experiance"

Quote:
Originally Posted by atr_hugo View Post
I read the Dinan literature and the one thing that stood out was they were tweaking the code that runs the electric water pumps. By 'replacing' the stock code - rather than piggybacking (intercepting and re-aggregating the variables being returned to the stock code) they can fiddle with a bit more of the whole picture. It's a more 'holistic' approach if you will. (Where 'holistic' = expensive ; -)
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2008, 07:29 PM   #22
atr_hugo
No longer moderate
No_Country
Rep

Well if the experience means having their wallets lightened, then yes you could say that - but it's a different philosophy of making changes to BMW's base software. You can intercept return values from aspects of the engine and 'change' them to fool the base code. Dinan takes a different approach. It's value is in the eye of the beholder and that's one of the reason choices exist. I suspect that there's more to the Dinan code than the one example I pointed out though.

I can't tell you what's right or wrong - suspect they're all a little of both.
Appreciate 0