BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-04-2008, 07:46 PM   #1
rajuncajun
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Increased resale value with Dinan???

Like most on this forum, I've been researching all the possible tuning options, i.e., JB2, Procede, xede, SSTT, Dinan, etc. I like them all quite frankly and each brings its own uniqueness to the table. But do you think if you spend the extra money on the Dinan, you get the warranty, plus won't you get a higher resell value out of the car? So, while you will spend the extra bucks up front, you can recoup its prorated value on the back side. I don't know because I've never priced out a car with Dinan mods. Just thought this would make an interesting topic for discussion.:iono:
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2008, 07:55 PM   #2
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

Personally, I would think that the seller likely beat the car up, just like I am wary about buying a car with a racing past, for a daily driver.

Others may think of it as a plus though...
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2008, 08:00 PM   #3
vivid
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: 135i, 323i

I think its a toss up... a few might find value but for more it would mean it was driven hard and more prone to problems...

I would not buy an second hand modded car.

Current: 135i, 323i wagon.
Sold:GTI
Sold: FX45
Sold: E36 M3
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2008, 08:37 PM   #4
imported_MPower
Zoom Zoom
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 6MT

Nope. There are very few exceptions where aftermarket modifications increase the resale value of a car. You won't lose all the value with Dinan parts unlike others purely because there is some brand image established.
      03-04-2008, 09:09 PM   #5
vivid
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: 135i, 323i

the best way to sell a modded car is to take it back to OEM and sell the parts.

Current: 135i, 323i wagon.
Sold:GTI
Sold: FX45
Sold: E36 M3
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2008, 11:06 PM   #6
Yearofthe1
An ex-addict :-(
Rep
Drives: VFR1200F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivid View Post
the best way to sell a modded car is to take it back to OEM and sell the parts.

Doin the same with the Civic. Already sold my wheels, a few interior mods, and the cold-air intake. Last to go will be the front and rear strut tower braces.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

We search for certainty and call what we find destiny. Everything is possible, yet only one thing happens.
-Michael and Ellen Kaplan
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2008, 02:13 PM   #7
blacknbean
Major
Rep
Drives: e92 335i 6MT

i think it might attrack some buyers and detract some buyers but increase the cars value, no

i personally would always want to buy a stock car
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2008, 03:36 PM   #8
EINSER M
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW i3 rex

Garage List
i think i spent about 35k in dinan parts and labor on my x5 and got about 8k of it back when i sold the car . would i do it again? NO. was it fun to drive? YES.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2008, 03:45 PM   #9
john970
1er
Rep
Drives: 08 135

Is a car with a sign on it that says "I beat the hell out of this car" worth more or less?

On this topic - how much life do you think a dinan car loses over a stock car? At 100,000 miles, should you expect the engine to be toast or what?
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2008, 04:13 PM   #10
Numb3rs
Banned
Rep
Drives: Looking

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryn View Post
Personally, I would think that the seller likely beat the car up, just like I am wary about buying a car with a racing past, for a daily driver.

Others may think of it as a plus though...

Ironically, your comment is based on assumption that non-Dinan cars haven't!!!

The alternative is someone buys a piggyback and beats down the car with a second rate tune then pulls it off every time the visit the dealer or ultimately returns their lease.

People who choose Dinan are usually more intimate with their BMW dealers and techs, they usually take extra care when dealing with Dinan badged car. Again, people with Dinan tunes/upgrades aren't afraid of their dealer and more than likely visit them more often for scheduled maintenance and check-ups.

BMWs are meant to be tracked, those who spend $$ on Dinan products have the money to not skimp and do everything legit.

It would be my assumption that Dinan cars are more maintained that non-Dinan cars it almost every instance. Thus, a used Dinan car retains a higher re-sale value, if not because of the added mods, but because they have been "loosened up" by the previous owner and any problem inherent with that car would already reared it's head and been fixed, not skirted by the poser-piggy type.

This has been proven over and over with Dinan, Alpina, Hartga and AC schnitzer.

Put X brand (PROcede, Jiucebox, SSTT, etc) on a vehicle and when on the lot people will know that that car was drag raced, octane'd, mapped, re-mapped, inserted, removed, inserted, removed...etc.

That just doesn't apply to big name BMW tuner brands. At least that is how my friends and colleagues have always perceived. And I believe that is universally true through BMW communities across this country.

Although, none of this matters if your leasing a car and you don't care about the resale of your vehicle. Then everything I have just said is pointless, unless you shopping for a used BMW. :wink:
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2008, 04:32 PM   #11
Nixon
Banned
Rep
Drives: :

rajuncajun, your only hope for recouping costs for Dinan upgrades is getting Numb3rs to buy it! :biggrin:

I think more folks will be scared away than enamored by the Dinan tune, making a sale tougher. If you are willing to spend more time finding the few folks who want to buy a tuned car, even these buyers will only pay a fraction of the value of the upgrades. Most folks buying a "built" car do it to save on buying the upgrades themselves. Therefore, you have to put a hefty discount on your upgrades to attract these buyers. Without a hefty discount, most buyers will buy an unmolested car and buy the upgrades themselves.

Also, many aftermarket part warranties are non-transferable. Dinan's is, but not all companies do that. That would be a big factor, along with how much of the warranty is left when you go to sell it.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2008, 04:41 PM   #12
Evolved
Bad Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Evo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numb3rs View Post

The alternative is someone buys a piggyback and beats down the car with a second rate tune then pulls it off every time the visit the dealer or ultimately returns their lease.

People who choose Dinan are usually more intimate with their BMW dealers and techs, they usually take extra care when dealing with Dinan badged car. Again, people with Dinan tunes/upgrades aren't afraid of their dealer and more than likely visit them more often for scheduled maintenance and check-ups.

BMWs are meant to be tracked, those who spend $$ on Dinan products have the money to not skimp and do everything legit.

It would be my assumption that Dinan cars are more maintained that non-Dinan cars it almost every instance. Thus, a used Dinan car retains a higher re-sale value, if not because of the added mods, but because they have been "loosened up" by the previous owner and any problem inherent with that car would already reared it's head and been fixed, not skirted by the poser-piggy type.

Put X brand (PROcede, Jiucebox, SSTT, etc) on a vehicle and when on the lot people will know that that car was drag raced, octane'd, mapped, re-mapped, inserted, removed, inserted, removed...etc.

That just doesn't apply to big name BMW tuner brands. At least that is how my friends and colleagues have always perceived. And I believe that is universally true through BMW communities across this country.

Although, none of this matters if your leasing a car and you don't care about the resale of your vehicle. Then everything I have just said is pointless, unless you shopping for a used BMW. :wink:

Thanks, I needed a good laugh.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2008, 04:56 PM   #13
Jewpac
Marty Turco Hater
Rep
Drives:

Quote:

Thats one of the funniest things I have ever read, thanks for that. The only tuning product I would be wary of is the xede because I dont trust Shiv at all.

Delivery Wednesday 5/7
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2008, 07:24 PM   #14
Numb3rs
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evolved View Post

Thanks, I needed a good laugh.

I find your response a tad over the top. Perhaps you didn't understand my over-all point.

If there were two identical USED cars on the lot, with the same mileage. The only difference is that one of them has Dinan upgrades and a Dinan badge, it wouldn't be priced less, it would be priced more.

And 9 times out of 10, it will sell. Not only because it might have $3-$4k in upgrades, but also due to the fact those upgrades are from Dinan.

There are a bunch of USED 335s on the lots, who knows what the previous owner installed/uninstalled and did to the car. A Dinan badged car is documented and maintained. Nothing is hidden. If I had a choice between 2 identical cars and the Dinan badged one was $500 to $1k more, I know which one I am buying. I am not alone in my thinking. In fact this is not my opinion, but a known fact that I witnessed several times over, starting from when I was in high school and a porter for a Land Rover dealership!

Evolved, are you laughing at me or the simple fact this has been proven for the last 20 years? I must believe your response was more of a bandwagonner than anything actually stemming from past experiences and duPont REGISTRYs -or- Robb Reports over the years. Next time I suggest you don't shout so loudly so community members don't notice your ignorance so much.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2008, 07:32 PM   #15
Russo
Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 Dodge Dakota Big Horn

in some cases it would mearly make the car get sold faster than if it were stock... being that the 1 series is a sports coupe, most of the future owners will have some basic knowledge on aftermarket parts and the pros/cons of that... now, those who have their ear to the performance world, will tend to lean towards Dinan products over others...

BLUEFAKES.COM ARE SCAMMERS, LIERS, AND CHEATERS! DO NOT BUY FROM THEM!!!
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2008, 08:10 PM   #16
Nixon
Banned
Rep

Quote:
And 9 times out of 10, it will sell. Not only because it might have $3-$4k in upgrades, but also due to the fact those upgrades are from Dinan.
If I had a choice between 2 identical cars and the Dinan badged one was $500 to $1k more...
That sounds about right. $3000-$4000 in Dinan upgrades will translate to $500 to $1,000 bucks more in resale value -- but only on 9 out of 10 cars being sold in markets where there are a sufficient numbers of buyers who want tuned cars. The other 10% of the time, nobody like Numb3rs will show up at your door to buy it.

But the ENTIRE car has to be pristine to get your $500-1K out of it. Any signs of abuse/lack of maintenance/wear (like worn rear tires) will hurt twice as much as on a stock vehicle.

oh, and we're just punching your buttons Numb3rs. It's Friday night, and we're a bit punchy. Sorry 'bout that.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2008, 12:35 AM   #17
rajuncajun
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

This got interesting. I must say, I've researched the resell value of "Dinan" cars and they are higher than their counterparts. However, it seems the fact of the matter is the age of the seller that foretells the abuse on the car, i.e., the younger, the worse shape the car in - that's a given. But, I think there is more value left in the expense of the Dinan tune than other tunes. Just how much value over how much time is the delta I'm trying to understand.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2008, 05:32 AM   #18
Numb3rs
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nixon View Post
oh, and we're just punching your buttons Numb3rs. It's Friday night, and we're a bit punchy. Sorry 'bout that.
:drinking:
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2008, 10:25 AM   #19
E82tt6
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '08 Black Saphire Z4 MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russo View Post
in some cases it would mearly make the car get sold faster than if it were stock... being that the 1 series is a sports coupe, most of the future owners will have some basic knowledge on aftermarket parts and the pros/cons of that... now, those who have their ear to the performance world, will tend to lean towards Dinan products over others...
Yes and no. You have to keep in mind that Dinan products are ludicrously overpriced. You're reallly just paying for their potential losses, just like with any other insurance policy. Some of the products are more overpriced than others. For someone just doing a flash, the 2k isn't bad, given the peace of mind. However, when you start getting into 2k+ axlebacks, 2k oil cooler upgrades, etc, etc, it can get a bit silly.

I wouldn't expect the cost of the parts to translate into resale value, simply because they're so overpriced. Nothing against Dinan, if someone wants to blow 3-4x the money for the warranty, that's their call, but I wouldn't expect more than 10% of the money you spent, tops, to translate into resale value.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2008, 11:18 AM   #20
Nixon
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajuncajun View Post
This got interesting. I must say, I've researched the resell value of "Dinan" cars and they are higher than their counterparts. However, it seems the fact of the matter is the age of the seller that foretells the abuse on the car, i.e., the younger, the worse shape the car in - that's a given. But, I think there is more value left in the expense of the Dinan tune than other tunes. Just how much value over how much time is the delta I'm trying to understand.
Watch out while doing your research for the difference between ASKING price, and the actual sale price. I will guarantee that every Dinan car owner will ASK more for their car than stock. What matters is the price cars actually sell for. That is much harder to know.

As others have mentioned before, you shouldn't be comparing the value of a Dinan tuned car vs. the value of a car with a removable tuning device being sold with it still installed in the car. You should be comparing the value of a Dinan car to the value of a stock vehicle + the used value of the removable tuning device.

Just making up some optimistic numbers here, assuming all other factors (condition, miles, etc) are the same:

Used 135i stock: 30,000
Used 135i Dinan: 30,750
Used 135i Helix: 30,200 (note, this price is irrelivant, since you don't sell it this way, you yank the Helix and sell the car as stock)

Resell used Helix on open market: $400
Resell Dinan on open market: Zero. It can't be resold.

Buy 135i for 35k, add 2k Dinan tune, sell at 30,750 == $6,250 loss.
Buy 135i for 35k, add 800 Helix tune, remove and sell as stock for 30k, sell Helix for 400 == $5,400 loss.

You can shift around the actual numbers as much as you want, like changing the Used 135i Dinan +/- a few hundred dollars. Or change the Resell used Helix +/- a few hundred dollas, the math still comes out against the Dinan. The assumptions have to get pretty silly for the Dinan to come out ahead:

Used 135i Dinan: 31,500 == $5,500 loss
Resell used Helix: 200 == $5,600 loss

You finally come out better with the Dinan only if you get 1,500+ back out of your 2,000 Dinan. I don't think this is possible, but the only way you could even have ANY chance of doing that would be if the majority of the Dinan warranty were still left. So the only way to come out ahead would be to never really get much time to use your Dinan, and sell your car soon after you install it.

Run it until the Dinan warranty runs out, and I think even the +750 price premium over stock would be unrealistic. Even the rare buyers like Numb3rs who might want to buy a car that has been run Dinan chipped for a number of years understand that the warranty is a major part of the value of Dinan upgrades. And without any warranty left, that part of the Dinan value is gone.

Gone forever.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2008, 06:50 PM   #21
TheColonel
Rep
Drives: Mazda RX-8 (booooo!)

I admit I didn't read most of this thread, but as a bank manager who underwrites car loans, consider that any aftermarket upgrades add nothing to value of a car on a loan. It doesn't matter if you pull up in a one year old $20k RSX-S with another $20k worth of work in it and have a buyer who's offering you $30k. If Kelly's Blue Book says your car is worth $15,000, that's what it's worth for the purposes of calculating loan to value, and no one's going to underwrite a loan for 200% LTV.

Standards vary from lender to lender, but in my area (Northern NJ), anything aftermarket just isn't normally part of the equation. Just something to consider: since the vast majority of used purchases require some kind of financing, you would need a buyer who can afford your premium for aftermarket work without financing that portion.
Appreciate 0