BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-08-2008, 12:23 PM   #1
coolguy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Caution: for people who are thinking of tuners: Wastegate issue

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=124357

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=124475

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=124293

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=124395

I am going to proceed with caution after this recent problem. I was very interested in the attache. This problem may or may not be related to tunes with solenoid bypass or is it a problem with the Turbo engine? But this problem seems to occur more on cars with tuners. However until this is sorted out, I am going to hold out on tuners. May be afterall Dinan or Jim's software upgrade is better...!
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2008, 01:18 PM   #2
coolguy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Here is the video of the wastegate problem:

http://s195.photobucket.com/albums/z...king_noise.flv
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2008, 03:11 PM   #3
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i/AW E90 M3

//M POWER!
      03-08-2008, 03:41 PM   #4
Brandon26pdx
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

No one seems to know what causes it, but it's unlikely it has anything to do with with the rotating assembly of the turbo(s) or anything to do with lubrication.

It's probably some relatively cheap little part associated with the wastgate system(s) that was made out of plastic that should have been steel or something like that. Running higher than stock boost might not be helping anything either.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2008, 04:06 PM   #5
TrojanBMW
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black 135i

I was on e90post last night and I'm much less enthusiastic about tuning my car than I was before. I an addition to the wastegate problems, there were several posts about voided warranties and other problems.

I was thinking about getting a Procede, but it seems like there might not be as much research going into the long-term durability of the engine with it on there. I'm really hoping there's a BMW Performance upgrade coming out that I can plug into my daily drive 1er. I don't want to have to take a bunch of stuff off my car every time I go back in for work at a dealer.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2008, 05:23 PM   #6
Numb3rs
Banned
Rep
Drives: Looking

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrojanBMW View Post
I was on e90post last night and I'm much less enthusiastic about tuning my car than I was before. I an addition to the wastegate problems, there were several posts about voided warranties and other problems.

I was thinking about getting a Procede, but it seems like there might not be as much research going into the long-term durability of the engine with it on there. I'm really hoping there's a BMW Performance upgrade coming out that I can plug into my daily drive 1er. I don't want to have to take a bunch of stuff off my car every time I go back in for work at a dealer.

I think at this point is would be a good idea to stays away from Procede. It seems that was the biggest tune about 1 year ago and pretty much the only one. Seems that Shiv programmed for outright power and wasn't Conservative enough and now after months of use many people are starting to developer problems.

Off coarse, this is just my take on the subject, but there are several key threads spanning 7-8 months over at E90Posts that suggest his claims verse what he does are not exactly on par. Slow to react to consumers, etc.

Personally, When I get my One'er I might just ante up for the Dinan tune. It's $600 bucks more but the tune is rock solid and no limp modes or issues. Plus The BMW my BMW dealer is an authorized Dinan dealer.

Also, Jim Conforti will also be releasing a Shark Injector (ECU re-flash)for the N4. His tunes are always priced right and can be removed for SCCA events, etc. Plus, it's Jim Conforti
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2008, 06:27 PM   #7
mdynamics
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, X3 & 325e

and the problems of the turbos begins, I knew this would happen given that BMW hasn't been making turbos until recently, makes you wonder how long will the N54 last after warranty. It seems to have happened to both tuned and stock cars, we have to remember that these cars have been barely out for a year now so the implications are starting to show now. And it seems the dealers are giving them a hard time about it, but some got the turbos replaced but again for another year? Makes you think of the 128i and losing the extra 70hp.

I was wondering is there a list for recalls on the 335i? cuz it seems they also had a fuel pump problem
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2008, 07:54 PM   #8
TunedM2C
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 LBB M2

People were having the issue on stock cars too. BMW even has a service bulletin on it:

Appreciate 0
      03-08-2008, 08:25 PM   #9
TrojanBMW
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numb3rs View Post

Personally, When I get my One'er I might just ante up for the Dinan tune. It's $600 bucks more but the tune is rock solid and no limp modes or issues. Plus The BMW my BMW dealer is an authorized Dinan dealer.
I was thinking the same thing about the Dinan chip. They've been around for decades, compared to the handful of years for Vishnu.

I get the sense that Procede never heard the idea "just because you can, doesn't mean you should.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2008, 08:40 PM   #10
Impulse
BMW ONE
Rep
Drives: 93 RX-7 R1, 135i

Garage List
Tuned1, said it right this is happening on stock cars as well, Also we have misfires in cylinders 1,5,6 also to deal with. Growing pains! The Fuel pump issue seems like it has worked it self out. Now these will too
      03-08-2008, 09:40 PM   #11
0002s
Mein Führer! I can walk!
Rep
Drives: Not a BMW

Occam's razor - the wastegate manufacture has some defective wastegates that were shipped and installed by BMW. Some of these defective wastegates are on tuned cars.

Appreciate 0
      03-08-2008, 11:32 PM   #12
rajuncajun
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

This earily sounds like the "oil issue" with my e36 M3. When I use the 15W 45 "diesel" oil during the summer, the noise goes away. During the winter, with 5W 30 synthetic, it always has a slight rattle. Just an observation. Interested in how this one works out.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2008, 12:41 AM   #13
Smallbodybimmer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

It seems like folks have been bringing their cars into the dealers for service related to the wastegate system, but with clearly visible perf mods or non-fully uninstalled piggybacks, and therefore having issuse with warranty coverage.
Even fully removed, it seems from the e90 posts that the dealers are now able to visually detect signs of piggyback hardware installation and can decide to void warranty.
My question is this, are perf 'flashes' able to be easily detected? Dinan or Conforti? I'd assume they can hook up to your ecu and detect a flash pretty easily, or can the programing be 'hidden'

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2008, 12:47 AM   #14
E82tt6
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '08 Black Saphire Z4 MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallbodybimmer View Post
It seems like folks have been bringing their cars into the dealers for service related to the wastegate system, but with clearly visible perf mods or non-fully uninstalled piggybacks, and therefore having issuse with warranty coverage.
Even fully removed, it seems from the e90 posts that the dealers are now able to visually detect signs of piggyback hardware installation and can decide to void warranty.
My question is this, are perf 'flashes' able to be easily detected? Dinan or Conforti? I'd assume they can hook up to your ecu and detect a flash pretty easily, or can the programing be 'hidden'
Even more easily detectable. They'll know as soon as they plug the car in when it was last reflashed.

With piggybacks, they have to look and see if wires were altered.

The only "invisible" option is the SSTT.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2008, 01:24 AM   #15
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

With the E36 M3, it depends on what oil you run. Mobil 1 tends to run thinner at the same rating than Castro.

As for a tune, If I were to get something, I'd get the SSTT since many dealers are selling it and it doesn't affect the solenoid being discussed in most of those threads. It's been posted that many top leve BMW people use the SSTT and like what it does.

Also, keep in mind that BMW does monitor some boards and other manufacture's have forced other forums to give up the identities of their members who talke about tuning their cars.

Here's another PROCeed user with issues: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=124509
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2008, 01:52 AM   #16
Smallbodybimmer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
With the E36 M3, it depends on what oil you run. Mobil 1 tends to run thinner at the same rating than Castro.

As for a tune, If I were to get something, I'd get the SSTT since many dealers are selling it and it doesn't affect the solenoid being discussed in most of those threads. It's been posted that many top leve BMW people use the SSTT and like what it does.

Also, keep in mind that BMW does monitor some boards and other manufacture's have forced other forums to give up the identities of their members who talke about tuning their cars.
I'm sure there are folks at BMW that have the tune of their choice and mods to their car also. They are enthusiasts just like we are. I just wonder if their warranties get voided too. Probably not

Yes they may monitor the boards, infact, they prabably setup 1addicts so they can have a 'finger' on the pulse of the BMW huggers like us. But I don't think they could use what you say on the board alone to say, void our warranty. Who knows the state you were in when posting, if you were the actual person to post under your name, or if you were not just telling a straight up lie, for bragging rights or habitual lying purposes. If they were to actually get your name and relate them to your posts, the most they could do is flag you to check your car for mods more thoroughly when you bring in for repairs.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2008, 03:06 AM   #17
Smallbodybimmer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Does Conforti flash allow you to flash back to stock? Or does it only hold the information for the performance perameters. Something like that would be ideal for people worried about warranty issuse with service calls. That way there is no uninstall of piggyback issuse, no obvious flashed ecu detected issues. The only issue you might have is the conservativeness and lack of finetunability of such a flash.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2008, 04:02 AM   #18
E82tt6
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '08 Black Saphire Z4 MC

Keep in mind that most oils do not interact well with Direct Injection.

If you're concerned about long term reliability, and want to change the oil less frequently than every 2500 miles, it would be wise to switch to an ester based oil. Much more resistant to fuel dilution.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2008, 12:48 PM   #19
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallbodybimmer View Post
Does Conforti flash allow you to flash back to stock? Or does it only hold the information for the performance perameters. Something like that would be ideal for people worried about warranty issuse with service calls. That way there is no uninstall of piggyback issuse, no obvious flashed ecu detected issues. The only issue you might have is the conservativeness and lack of finetunability of such a flash.
Check out the sig in my link above. He obviously has concerns about BMW monitoring the boards. I think it was Mazda or Mitsu that went after a forum because of a warranty claim of one of it's members who had obviously mod'ed their car.
Bottom line, don't use you're real identity when registering.

And Conforti flashes are usualy easily reversable to stock.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2008, 01:27 PM   #20
bimmertech
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

bmw's recommendation is to try to adjust the actuator to get the rattle to stop. if this doesn't work we were instructed to wait for updated actuators. i'm not sure if these actuators are available yet.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2008, 01:34 PM   #21
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
How can a company force the administrators of a enthusiast board to "give up the identities of their members"????

I can see them monitoring boards, but I can't imagine a circumstance where they could even subpoena identities in a board like this one, unless the board owners were under scrutiny for some other reason.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2008, 01:59 PM   #22
YYZATC
Private
Rep
Drives:

It seems that some feel that you could re-flash the ECU back to stock and bring the vehicle in for warranty work if a problem occurs. I wouldn't count on this. You can always tell when the ECU has been re-flashed on any ECU I am aware of. I think this would be a tell tale sign that you modded you vehicle and they will void your warranty.
Appreciate 0