BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-14-2008, 02:02 PM   #1
BMW Dreamer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Modded 06 TL Manual

Warranty question.

Besides the "Everything" covered for 4/50,000, does BMW offer loaners when you have the car in for repair? Say the car is waiting for a part for 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9, weeks, what do I drive while waiting??? I DON'T have $$$ falling out of my @$$ for this. I don't mind having a few problems, even though I have had NONE in the past 10 years owning Toyota's, Honda's, Acura's.

What do I do when I have to wait???
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2008, 02:26 PM   #2
1ToBeOn2Wheels
Freude am Fahren
United_States
Rep
Drives: B9 Audi S5 Coupe

I would imagine it is dealer-dependant. When my E46 was in for service, my dealer gave me Z4's and X3's to drive as long as my car was in the shop. Do you ever see any Bimmer's driving around your area with "Courtesy Vehicle" and your dealer name on them? Those are usually the cars they lend out.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2008, 02:40 PM   #3
E82tt6
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '08 Black Saphire Z4 MC

AFAIK all BMW dealers do a loaner. "Everything" is covered for 4/50,000 including a clutch and brake pads.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2008, 02:44 PM   #4
plien69
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i

My dealer's policy is that you only get a loaner if you purchased the car from them. I'm almost always given an X3 or 328xi, although I got a 330i Sport once. All were automatics. Most had leatherette. None had iDrive.

I once got a Toyota Matrix from a local rental car company (dealership paid for it) because I showed up a little late and they ran out of loaners, but had promised me one.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2008, 08:41 PM   #5
BMW Dreamer
Colonel
Rep

Thankyou. So say I purchase a 135i and the fuel pump or water pump goes out and it will take 4 weeks to get the part. Will I get a loaner for the entire time. At the same dealer I purchased it at and is under 4 years/50,000 miles.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2008, 08:55 PM   #6
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

First, the N54 has been in this country for a while now. You won't be waiting 4 weeks for a water pump. Most dealerships have loaners that they have for emergency service calls, and will rent a cheapo car for you if they are all taken.

Don't expect a loaner if you're getting your oil changed though. On days I go in for service, I prearrange to have them drive me to the train station, and pick me up at the end of my work day.

We may have to wait if you incur body damage to these cars, since the parts train might not be that well stocked for a new model that's fairly limited production quite yet.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2008, 08:56 PM   #7
plien69
Captain
Rep

I haven't had any loaner experience on the scale of 4 weeks. That's an awful long time to get a part.

I have had a loaner for a week, Tuesday to Tuesday keeping the car over the weekend. The dealer needed time to order a new clutch.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2008, 09:01 PM   #8
Oregon
NRA Life Member, BMW CCA 30 year member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 04' M3

Garage List
1971 2002  [0.00]
2004 M3  [0.00]
2008 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryn View Post
Don't expect a loaner if you're getting your oil changed though. On days I go in for service, I prearrange to have them drive me to the train station, and pick me up at the end of my work day.
As I live less than a half-mile miles from my dealership, I'll just walk home and hang for a few hours.:wink: Lucky me.

“To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them.” – George Mason
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2008, 09:06 PM   #9
NHSkibm
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E30, F31, L434

I've had my car(s) serviced at two dealerships.

At first I had them serviced at a dealership 45 minutes away from my home where I purchased the car. They never seemed to have enough loaners and often I was stuck with an enterprise POS.

Then I met a service writer through a friend at a dealer 5 minutes down the road from me. I always get a loaner from this dealership. In fact, I get a 335xi most of the time - on occasion I've had an X3 and 328xi. I have received a loaner when my E36 was in for my wheels to be straightened (for a week), when my E46 went in for routine maintenance (including just an oil service), and even when my E30iX (awd and rareish) was down for a few days needing a wheel bearing and they had to order the part.

Obviously each dealer's policy varies as does the service writers (who control the loaners). This is where shopping the right dealer comes into play if your home location has the ability to purchase from multiple dealers.

I would highly recommend asking the policies at each and ever dealer as you decide where to purchase the car.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2008, 09:07 PM   #10
BMW Dreamer
Colonel
Rep

Thankyou very much. I am just paranoid about buying a BMW. I have been all over the internet for 3 years doing research on BMW's, and have read TOO many bad experiences with BMW owners. Many did have to wait along time, up to 8 weeks. For many different problems. I know I won't get a loaner for an oil change. I just don't want to pay for a rental car if the car is under warranty and has to sit for 1-10 weeks at the dealer.

Now I can relax. So IF I purchase one of BMW's problem cars that needs repairs many times a year, at least I won't have to CHARGE a rental car on my Visa.

I went to the closest BMW dealer by me (9 miles) yesterday, they said in 4-6 days they will have 2-135i's coming in, 1 sold, 1 not. When I go there I will ask about loaner cars. The next BMW dealer is WAY TOO FAR.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2008, 09:21 PM   #11
imported_Tex
Rep
Drives:

Jeff, BMW's are basically junk if you have ever been spoiled by driving a Toyota or Lexus. My wife's 328i (3,200 miles) has already been at the local dealer three times for electrical problems in the instrument cluster. Today the airbag light and seatbelt warning lights came on and stayed on. The local dealer said he could not fit my car in for service until next Wednesday and refused to give me a loaner.
I have had it with the crap that BMW builds. This is my second sour experience with BMW. Have owned numerous Lexus/Toyotas and NEVER had to take one in for a problem.
Wonder why the BMW addicts are so concerned about unloading their cars before the warranty expires?
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2008, 09:25 PM   #12
plien69
Captain
Rep

I bet if you do extensive research for 3 years, you'll compile a list of horrors stories for any brand.

The internet in particular attracts negative experiences. People tend to report on the negative, rather than the positive or the norm.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2008, 09:36 PM   #13
imported_Tex
Rep
Drives:

Plien, I have a positive report: Since 1992 we have owned 11 Lexus. Not one (repeat not one) has had ever had a warranty issue. However, oil changes are required.

Negative: Since 1997, I have owned three new BMW's. Two of the three have been nightmares - only rivaled by poor service at the dealer.

Good news: I have finally learned never to even consider a BMW.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2008, 09:43 PM   #14
BMW Dreamer
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Jeff, BMW's are basically junk if you have ever been spoiled by driving a Toyota or Lexus. My wife's 328i (3,200 miles) has already been at the local dealer three times for electrical problems in the instrument cluster. Today the airbag light and seatbelt warning lights came on and stayed on. The local dealer said he could not fit my car in for service until next Wednesday and refused to give me a loaner.
I have had it with the crap that BMW builds. This is my second sour experience with BMW. Have owned numerous Lexus/Toyotas and NEVER had to take one in for a problem.
Wonder why the BMW addicts are so concerned about unloading their cars before the warranty expires?
^^^This is what I am talking about. Sure every brand has problems, but I have researched several makes/models for years and always points to BMW, Mercedes, Audi, Range Rover for being unreliable. Just HOPE I am making a good decision "MAYBE" buying a BMW. I guess IF I purcahse a 135i I will save ALOT of money in my savings incase I have to dump it and go buy the Infiniti G37S.

I just WANT a 135i BADLY.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2008, 09:46 PM   #15
BMW Dreamer
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Plien, I have a positive report: Since 1992 we have owned 11 Lexus. Not one (repeat not one) has had ever had a warranty issue. However, oil changes are required.

Negative: Since 1997, I have owned three new BMW's. Two of the three have been nightmares - only rivaled by poor service at the dealer.

Good news: I have finally learned never to even consider a BMW.
^^^Sounds very familiar. OH BOY.
May I ask what you drive now Tex? 750?:iono:
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2008, 09:59 PM   #16
plien69
Captain
Rep

Well, I don't know what to tell you, Jeff. I'm not going to argue that BMWs are more reliable than Toyota's, because statistically they're not. I'll only caution you to stick to the reliability statistics (and this is one of the few areas where I will consult Consumer Reports), and not get caught up in internet forum hype.

In the end you can go with the statistics and buy a Toyota/Lexus, or you can get the car you really want and deal with the fact that, statistically, you probably are more likely to need to bring it in for service than if you bought a Toyota. Whether that's worth it to you is a question only you can answer for yourself.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2008, 10:21 PM   #17
imported_Tex
Rep
Drives:

Jeff, I am currently driving a 2007 FJ Cruiser - pretty cool rig. The clock is reading 7,680 miles - bought new. Not one (repeat not one) problem since purchased.

Back in 1997 I purchased a new 1997 540. BMW bought the car back because the doors (yes all four) actually rattled in the door frames of the body. Strange but true. (BMW actually buys a lot of cars back)

Yes, BMW's are fun to drive when they are working properly and you are not wasting your time driving back and forth for service.

Best of luck!
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2008, 10:32 PM   #18
BMW Dreamer
Colonel
Rep

I don't mind having say 1 problem a year, no big deal. I am willing to except that to get a 135i. I just hope/don't want many problems I have been warned about from even people I know and love BMW cars but no longer own them. I was considering the G37S but I want the torque, the IS 350 is said to handle poorly and has no feel. There is no other car in my price range that will even compare to the 135i. I guess I will maybe take a chance. Consumer reports does say the 3 series is average and improving. Since the N54 TT engine is now in the 1,3,5 series, there should be enough out there to see about reliability. Why can't BMW build cars without electrical problems? They brag about the assembly plants but whats going on?

As far as internet, some might only post when having problems, but some BMW owners with many problems might also say they don't have problems. NO real truth I guess.

Buying a BMW is like going to Vegas IMO.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2008, 10:43 PM   #19
imported_Tex
Rep
Drives:

Jeff, have you had problems with your Si Civic?
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2008, 01:37 AM   #20
b2nvs2001
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

My experience is 2 sided. In England, my first ever BMW 328i sport coupe was fantastically reliable. Never had one problem with it and was similar to any other japanese brand with regards to reliability. In fact, in the UK, BMWs are actually known to be highly reliable. On the other hand, I had a 740i here. What a piece of crap! Giving warning signs every second with a "check engine" or "check something else" light ever since I owned it from new. The bottom line is this: BMW reliability in the states is less than perfect. Its just a question of how much you can tolerate. I am hoping since it is now 2008, and the production process is largely computer driven (hopefully with fewer flawa overall compared with hand building), the reliability issues will be kept to a minimum. However, I do hope that I do not get problems other than service more than 2 times a year, but this might be wishful thinking also. As long as 2 things don't happen I'll be fine: it doesnt break down every week like the 740i or my first Renault 5 GT Turbo (thats a different story!) and that the service I get when it does break down is good i.e. I get a BMW loaner car when it is in the shop and not some Enterprise Rent A Car, especially when Im paying nearly 50k for a car! Thats what happens at Audi dealerships, in my experience, and it pisses me off!
You have to remember one thing though. BMW is a different class. I know Lexi sell well here and good for them since there reliability is exemplary. But, the quality of their plastics, the overall driving experience in my opinion, those you cannot compare with any BMW or Audi (dont know about Mercedes - didnt like it too much). It all depends what you want, but it is just plain wrong to compare Lexi to BMWs in terms of driving - theres too much of a difference to even bother. Im not a fanboy, its just the truth! Honestly! Ive owned many Toyotas and Nissans in my time too!
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2008, 02:41 AM   #21
Stew
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Have any members on this forum had trouble with past BMWs? I have heard from friends of friends who bought Mercedes and had problems with them, so a lot of them switched to BMWs and seemed happy. I hope a lot of the electrical and computer issues would be solved now that we are in 2008 and its a very common thing to have dozens of computers and electrical systems on a car now.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2008, 03:04 AM   #22
hellrotm
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

As far as Tex, telling you he would never buy another BMW. Don't listen to one mans whining horror story. Ask yourself why is he on here if he is never buying another BMW.

I have owned BMW's all my life, was given a 3-series at age 16 and have never looked back. I am know pushing age 40 and love my current 545i.

I made one mistake buying a 1995 Lexus LS400 brand new and it was a nightmare. Endless electrical problems and interior just fell apart. The Lexus guys are always saying their interiors are the best, that is far from the truth.

I have always gotten loaners when my Bimmer are in for service. If you ask me its one of best things about owning a BMW. You get to test all different models of BMWs. My last loaner was 535i. I have had X3's, Z4 coupe, multiple 3-series. Don't worry find a nice dealership in your area and enjoy one of best warranties in the business, PERIOD.
Appreciate 0