BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-20-2008, 05:58 PM   #1
looking
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135

3 not really that big?

The more I look at the 3 the less I think it's really that big. Ok, I know # wise it's still porky but compared to most entry level lux cars it still seems reasonable. I don't know the figures of the completing cars, but yesterday I was at the pump with my 07 G35x and right behind me there was a 3 series cab. The cab looked really small to me, I thought I was looking at a 1 at first!...maybe this board as got me thinking every BMW is a 1...

And as everyone on this board knows the 1 is only 200lbs lighter....maybe people shouldn't over look the 3, especially with the rates being the way they are?
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2008, 06:28 PM   #2
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

Having owned numerous BMWs, from the e30-e36-e46-e90, I can tell you that they are big now. Not 5 series big, but bigger than I want or need.

If I needed to be leasing, I'd certainly consider the 3 series though.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2008, 06:47 PM   #3
linus
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 07 E90 335xi, 08 E92 335i

I haven't driven the 1 yet, but I can say that the 3 really isn't that big. Sure bigger than previous 3ers, but still, small enough to be a lot of fun. And you're absolutely right, the weight difference between the 1 and 3 is negligible (which I think would be a critical differentiating factor). The E92 fits the right spot for me - amazing handling and power combined with decent amount of rear legroom. When I sat in the one, I felt crammed. I'm sure I'd still love the 135i, but prefer the 335i for my circumstances. Now, if I was a single male in my 20s, the 135i becomes a no brainer.

But getting back to your earlier point. The 335i feels 'just right' in size and I have never felt once that it is too large a vehicle for its purpose. And by the way, I drive a Mini Cooper S Convertible, so I'm used to the feeling of a small vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2008, 07:00 PM   #4
bimmerfile
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X2 F39

^^^ +1
Coming from a Z4, the 3 series looks like a real porker to me..
I wouldn't want anything bigger than a 1er..
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2008, 07:08 PM   #5
looking
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryn View Post
Having owned numerous BMWs, from the e30-e36-e46-e90, I can tell you that they are big now. Not 5 series big, but bigger than I want or need.

If I needed to be leasing, I'd certainly consider the 3 series though.

I can't agree with you more...I've driven all those models...but compared to it's competitors the 3 still seems pretty small, to me anyways. I think all cars in general have gotten bigger. if you look at earlier gen camry's, accords, etc..everything's growing up.

I guess I just wanted to say that I think in the segment the 3 is still a reasonable size.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2008, 07:26 PM   #6
natetgreat
Private
Rep
Drives: 2001 Trans Am

how much bigger is the 335i coupe compared to the 135i
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2008, 10:54 PM   #7
looking
Captain
Rep

^^^

I believe it's about 9inch shorter in length and 200 lbs lighter...
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2008, 12:17 AM   #8
natetgreat
Private
Rep
Drives: 2001 Trans Am

^^^

my friend told me that his rsx is bigger than the 135i. Do you think thats true.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2008, 01:00 AM   #9
mtw
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by natetgreat View Post
^^^

my friend told me that his rsx is bigger than the 135i. Do you think thats true.
Without seeing or comparing the exact numbers, I'd say the two are similar.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2008, 04:45 PM   #10
Bringinthewolf
1 for the road
Canada
Rep
Drives: SGM 135i Cabrio

I just looked at the 3 and the 1 side by side again and have finally figured it out. The 3 does not look any bigger than the 1 because of the large body panels on the 1 series. That coupled with the lower height of the 3 makes the 9 inch difference in length seem to evaporate.
This illusion is even more prominent in the cabrio versions of each car.
The RSX is actually very close in length to the 1'er but has a shorter wheelbase. Same illusion though, the RSX looks smaller when side by side.

Appreciate 0
      03-21-2008, 09:39 PM   #11
linus
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

The 3er is only 9 inches longer, and more importantly, only 137 pounds heavier than the 1er (according to LA Times).

http://www.latimes.com/classified/au...,2091740.story
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2008, 10:21 PM   #12
Bringinthewolf
1 for the road
Canada
Rep

The difference in length was about the only credible part of that LA Times article.

Appreciate 0
      03-22-2008, 08:14 AM   #13
linus
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bringinthewolf View Post
The difference in length was about the only credible part of that LA Times article.
I thought the article was very credible. It gave some very positive feedback on the engine, handling and brakes of the 135. Seems like the author loved it save the design. Now personally, I like the design of the 1 series coupe, although not as much as the E92. And I like the 1 series design not because it's beautiful, but because it's different. Odd but in kind of an intriguing way. And match that oddness to its power and handling capability and you've got a compelling ride.

But the author of the LA Times article is entitled to his opinion that the 1er is ugly. Doesn't really bother me. If someone said the E92 (which I own) is ugly, couldn't care less. I think it's beautiful. And that's what important.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2008, 01:09 PM   #14
Bringinthewolf
1 for the road
Canada
Rep

Let me share some quotes;

"Well, then, to recap: ugly. But I'm not so superficial that I would write off the 1-series with some subjective rant about styling. Oh, no. I have other reasons to torpedo this car."

"Who wants a poor man's BMW? A poor man, that's who."

Oh ya linus, the reviewer is just giddy with the car. I'm sure he's ordered one already. Actually it's doubtful that an automotive journalist for the LA Times could afford one.

I knew we could count on a E92 owner to step up and support that great review :biggrin:

Appreciate 0
      03-22-2008, 01:17 PM   #15
koala
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 06 BMW M Coupe

Keep in mind that BMW's weight's are also quoted with 90% fuel tank full, 68kg driver and 7kg of cargo.
      03-22-2008, 04:17 PM   #16
linus
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Let me share some quotes;

"Well, then, to recap: ugly. But I'm not so superficial that I would write off the 1-series with some subjective rant about styling. Oh, no. I have other reasons to torpedo this car."

"Who wants a poor man's BMW? A poor man, that's who."

Oh ya linus, the reviewer is just giddy with the car. I'm sure he's ordered one already. Actually it's doubtful that an automotive journalist for the LA Times could afford one.

I knew we could count on a E92 owner to step up and support that great review :biggrin:
Hold on a minute. Why would you think I'm supporting his review. He's essentially indicated that he thinks it's a blast to drive but looks like a piece of crap. I don't share or support his view of the styling, but I think it's an interesting article in that the 1 series will evoke huge polarity in views due to its unique styling. You should expect that and try not to take it too personally. He's entitled to his view and this should not detract from his credibility. I found that, despite his very strong and negative view on styling, he had some positive things to say about the car's most important attributes. Take what you need to from reviews. Don't tell me that you only want to hear from reviews that support your point of view. Diversity is good and welcomed by me.

If you've seen my other posts, you'll note that I was prepared to lease a 1er cabrio myself until BMW Canada decided to gouge us Canucks. Ridiculous lease rate and very little discount. I'm happy just waiting and perhaps I'll buy used in a few years.

So, an e92 owner supporting a harsh critic of the 1er styling because I'm an e92 owner. You might want to think twice before suggesting my bias. I have no bone to pick and I certainly don't identify myself by the car I drive. I enjoy driving - period. Cars will come and go but my ability to be open to (but not always agree with) other people's opinions and biases should never be compromised. Now, feel free to go ahead and be equally harsh and trash my e92 335i. No worries. :biggrin:
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2008, 05:12 PM   #17
Bringinthewolf
1 for the road
Canada
Rep

Linus, you misunderstand, my friend. I am always eager to hear your unbiased opinions regarding the 1’er. You are always the voice of reason on this forum and it is obvious that passion has no part in your buying decisions. I wish I could function so logically.
That said, please don’t try and pass off that review as positive just because the reviewer thinks the car is fast. The fact that he finds the 1’er ugly is of no consequence to me. It is nothing but his subjective opinion.
Anyone that makes statements regarding the 1 series “poor mans BMW status” has no credibility in my books.
Please keep in mind that you did state you found the review “very credible” so you will forgive me if I made the assumption that you were in support of it.

Appreciate 0
      03-22-2008, 05:29 PM   #18
jose
Rep
Drives:

I own an e92 320i, it doesn´t look that big but it feels large and heavy when you drive it compared to the e46. In the last 2 years I used my back seat 4 o 5 times.
I think BMW is focused on the US market, where they have big sales. Here in Southamerica and in Europe we will do just fine with the 135.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2008, 07:20 PM   #19
linus
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Linus, you misunderstand, my friend. I am always eager to hear your unbiased opinions regarding the 1’er. You are always the voice of reason on this forum and it is obvious that passion has no part in your buying decisions. I wish I could function so logically.
That said, please don’t try and pass off that review as positive just because the reviewer thinks the car is fast. The fact that he finds the 1’er ugly is of no consequence to me. It is nothing but his subjective opinion.
Anyone that makes statements regarding the 1 series “poor mans BMW status” has no credibility in my books.
Please keep in mind that you did state you found the review “very credible” so you will forgive me if I made the assumption that you were in support of it.
"Fantastic brakes, awesome steering (hydraulic, whereas most of the BMW line now has electric power steering assist), stupendous grip and dynamic balance. I love the mechanicals of this car. Well, I loved them before they got jammed into this ugly Size 8 Birkenstock."

This statement has credibility to me. How could you see that as any less of a positive comment. I completely agree with his review of the brakes, steering, grip and balance from almost everything else I have read. Completely, hands down, mile high credibility. The latter statement, though, seems very credible to me as well - even though I do not share the same sentiment. He's being blunt and honest. His credibility isn't any lower in my view just because he makes some negative comments about the style of the vehicle and its stature as a poor man's car. That's his opinion and I'm totally cool with it. That doesn't take away from the more important message that the car appears to be a blast to drive. If you choose to ignore his views on the price point and styling of the vehicle then you may take away the underlying message that comes through (even though he may not have meant it) - the car is an absolute blast to drive. That's the part that ignites my passion. Forget the rest, if you can...
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2008, 07:33 PM   #20
Bringinthewolf
1 for the road
Canada
Rep

I just got back from test driving a 135i and as far as I'm concerned the world is a perfect place and I am awaiting delivery of the perfect car. All the reviews in the world can't taint my view of this car from this point forward. Pure bliss.
Enjoy your car linus, I'm sure it's wonderful and I know now that you made the right choice.

Appreciate 0
      03-22-2008, 09:43 PM   #21
M J M
Private
Rep
Drives:

For what its worth, I think the picture of the montego 135 and 335 sitting together from several angles say it all. The 335 looks huge more like a mercedes.

I was very close to buying a 335 but I prefer the styling of the 135. Both are great cars for what they do. IMO there is no entry BMW. All other cars are entry to the BMW.

Having said that...

As far as the 1 series being a "poor man's" BMW what was the 3 series before the introduction of the 1 series? Exactly! the 3 WAS the poor man's BMW.

PS If I wanted vast interior space I would have bought a hummer or a buick. I want to DRIVE.... a non-North Americanized (Biggie Size) BMW.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2008, 07:07 AM   #22
linus
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Looking at pics to compare vehicles can often be very deceiving. Many e90post forum members had an initial negative reaction to the e92 styling in pics prior to seeing it in the flesh. The 1er's styling looked very questionable at minimum in pics as well. However, when I saw it in the flesh, I liked it. W.r.t. the e92, for a car that's only 8.9 inches longer and 1 inch shorter than the 1er, with all due respect, the difference in real life appears much less so than in pics. Now, my Mini Cooper S - that's a small car. The length is 29" shorter than the 135i and is 650 lbs lighter. Put that beside my 335i and you can say the 335i looks large. Heck, put the 135i beside it and the 135i looks large.

As for interior space. Sadly for those who wish to believe so, the E92 does not offer vast interior space a la hummer or buick. Obviously, the 135i does not either, but many who have sat in it consider it tight and somewhat crammed (including myself). Doesn't make the 1er a poor man's BMW - and I agree, there is no poor man's BMW - it's a stupid moniker. But in the same vain, this doesn't make the 335i any more of a huge mercedes or hummer or buick.

I do quite understand that I'm typing away on an enthusiast forum dedicated to the 1 series and there's a lot of passion for that particular vehicle here. The bias is clearly showing as it does in numerous posts on e90post.com regarding the e90/e92/e93. When someone decides to provide a different perspective on cars in either of these forums, acceptance is difficult, especially when the source is a non-owner or a competing owner (as I appear to some here to be with my e92). Just to set the record straight, I love my e92 335i. Great car, lots of fun, amazing styling and all the rest. This does not take away from the 1er. I was quite prepared to be proud owner of a 128i vert until BMW Canada screwed the first batch of 1er enthusiasts with a ridiculous lease rate. So please try not to pencil me in with some other e92 enthusiasts that can't appreciate the 1er in the least. That's not me.

Perhaps, it's time to also ease up on the 335i and not suffer from any inferiority complexes. There shouldn't be. Both the 135i and 335i are and will be fantastic competition to the other serious contenders out there.
Appreciate 0