BMW
X7 and XM
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum X7 quality issues.

03-16-2024, 02:15 PM   #1
Rangerbmr
Rep
Drives: 2024 X7 40i

Garage List
2024 BMW x40i  [7.50]
X7 quality issues.

Hello everyone. First time BMW X7 owner—2024 X7 40i. Had the car since last June and I have to say I am not impressed at all. For a luxury SUV mine has been wrought with issues- two major recalls, display issues constantly and other design issues reflective of a much lower level vehicle. And closer inspection many elements like carpet quality and dashboard fitment and dang awful dash reflection in front and side windows. Let alone the clock will not auto adjust. What’s going on here??
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2024, 05:16 PM   #2
skrontz
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 760iX, 2025 X7 M60i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerbmr View Post
Let alone the clock will not auto adjust.
Oh, the horror 😂

Jokes aside, modern cars basically put an app between you and the actual controls. What used to be a simple rocker switch or a button that used a simple electrical connection to turn a specific function on or off now has a piece of code in front of it. Quality software developers are expensive, so a lot of this is outsourced and reused from shared libraries, which in turn makes the whole interface and functional interaction extremely convoluted and often buggy. As we got used to that with smart phones, we’ll have to get used to it with cars, too. Bottom line is if everything is working more or less well, don’t force a software upgrade.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2024, 06:25 PM   #3
rjabend
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X7 xDrive40i

Garage List
2024 X7  [6.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by skrontz View Post
Oh, the horror ��

Jokes aside, modern cars basically put an app between you and the actual controls. What used to be a simple rocker switch or a button that used a simple electrical connection to turn a specific function on or off now has a piece of code in front of it. Quality software developers are expensive, so a lot of this is outsourced and reused from shared libraries, which in turn makes the whole interface and functional interaction extremely convoluted and often buggy. As we got used to that with smart phones, we’ll have to get used to it with cars, too. Bottom line is if everything is working more or less well, don’t force a software upgrade.
Bottom line: BMW software/firmware is poorly developed, debugged, and released. There is no excuse or valid reason for that. That can be verified by comparison to other vehicle manufacturers. IMHO BMW is at the bottom of the barrel. I welcome opposing discussions or experiences that could alter my conclusions.

Last edited by rjabend; 03-16-2024 at 06:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2024, 06:36 PM   #4
skrontz
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjabend View Post
Bottom line: BMW software/firmware is poorly developed, debugged, and released. There is no excuse or valid reason for that. That can be verified by comparison to other vehicle manufacturers. IMHO BMW is at the bottom of the barrel. I welcome opposing discussions that could alter my conclusions.
BMW is trying to lead the way with the features (and therefore complexity), and it’s naturally coming with some growing pains. Tesla has gone through this years ago and got a lot better. Mercedes took the conservarive path, but their interface is lagging in function and often response times. I’m not aware of any like-for-like comparison with the other manufacturers, but I would venture a guess they BMW can likely afford the same quality software developers as any other luxury brand.
Appreciate 1
      03-17-2024, 08:24 AM   #5
rjabend
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2024 X7  [6.50]
Quote:
BMW is trying to lead the way with the features (and therefore complexity), and it’s naturally coming with some growing pains. Tesla has gone through this years ago and got a lot better. Mercedes took the conservarive path, but their interface is lagging in function and often response times. I’m not aware of any like-for-like comparison with the other manufacturers, but I would venture a guess they BMW can likely afford the same quality software developers as any other luxury brand.
Good points! To exemplify:
1. Having a clock in the car is a unique, advanced, and highly complex feature very recently introduced in the industry by BMW so, understandably, it doesn't display the correct time yet.
2. Auto leveling on entry and exit will be an industry 1st when BMW develops and releases it.
3. Auto speed limit adoption will be an industry 1st when BMW introduces it. Wait, I just noticed that Mazda beat them to it!
Let me know if I can help by providing other examples of BMW's advanced industry technology, leadership, and amazing quality.
On a serious note, these only reflect my humble opinions, and thanks for your consideration.

Last edited by rjabend; 03-17-2024 at 08:44 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2024, 11:59 AM   #6
skrontz
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
1. Having a clock in the car is a unique, advanced, and highly complex feature very recently introduced in the industry by BMW so, understandably, it doesn't display the correct time yet.
2. Auto leveling on entry and exit will be an industry 1st when BMW develops and releases it.
3. Auto speed limit adoption will be an industry 1st when BMW introduces it. Wait, I just noticed that Mazda beat them to it!
Let me know if I can help by providing other examples of BMW's advanced industry technology, leadership, and amazing quality.
I’m reasonably confident that all of these features would work just about as well as on any other car in the same segment (except for Range Rover who pioneered the auto-leveling suspension but couldn’t quite make it reliable after decades of owners’ suffering) if it wasn’t for the buggy user interface software. Speaking of the automatic DST and timezone settings, you’d be surprised how many reputable software companies reported completely bizarre issues this leap year.

You could certainly get snarky about individual bugs, but it’s hard to deny that BMW iDrive is one of the most technically innovative and responsive user interfaces in the industry. If it wasn’t, we would all be buying something else.

Just as a point of comparison, I checked out the forum for the 3-letter model from the main competitor. Just on the first page, there’s over half a dozen posts about multiple major failures within 3 weeks of ownership, suspension malfunctions, paint problems, audio issues, and who knows what else. Welcome to the cars of the 21st century 😂
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2024, 12:01 PM   #7
Young04
Captain
Rep
Drives: iX, i4 and 392 Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerbmr View Post
Hello everyone. First time BMW X7 owner—2024 X7 40i. Had the car since last June and I have to say I am not impressed at all. For a luxury SUV mine has been wrought with issues- two major recalls, display issues constantly and other design issues reflective of a much lower level vehicle. And closer inspection many elements like carpet quality and dashboard fitment and dang awful dash reflection in front and side windows. Let alone the clock will not auto adjust. What’s going on here??
Some of the issues are consistent with post-COVID trends affecting most brands. Our now-departed 2020 X7 has been really good to us. The experience I have had with a relative's 2023 X7 is vastly different than my X7. However, if you think the X7 is bad, go take a look at the groups for the Wagoneer and Yukon/Tahoe. Reports of new vehicles (fewer than 10K miles) being bricked, not starting, exterior trim pieces randomly falling off, and other Bush League issues are rampant.
Appreciate 2
ledphut227.50
rjabend376.00
      03-17-2024, 02:10 PM   #8
rjabend
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2024 X7  [6.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Young04 View Post
Some of the issues are consistent with post-COVID trends affecting most brands. Our now-departed 2020 X7 has been really good to us. The experience I have had with a relative's 2023 X7 is vastly different than my X7. However, if you think the X7 is bad, go take a look at the groups for the Wagoneer and Yukon/Tahoe. Reports of new vehicles (fewer than 10K miles) being bricked, not starting, exterior trim pieces randomly falling off, and other Bush League issues are rampant.
I agree. The statistics show the Wagoneer and particularly the Land Rover at the bottom of the reliability list with BMW in the average category (#15):

https://www.jdpower.com/business/pre...ility-studyvds

For those satisfied with AVERAGE, I respect your desires, but I am not one of those and won't be buying another BMW. I am monitoring Lexus who has respectable technology and is about to leap forward with their latest highly rated "Teammate Advanced Drive" package. Lexus was the only company with acceptable Driver Assistance automation according to the IIHS. Lexus is also at the very top of the reliability list. I believe that is somewhat due to their thorough software debugging and release practices. On the subjective side, I just find BMW to be sloppy. We each have our own priorities when purchasing a vehicle.

Last edited by rjabend; 03-17-2024 at 02:17 PM..
Appreciate 1
Young04700.50
      03-17-2024, 02:26 PM   #9
Kalvis
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X7 facelift

Quote:
On a serious note, these only reflect my humble opinions, and thanks for your consideration.
You have set automatic time update according to your time zone and time is not correct? Cant imagine how this is possible. Unlikely it is sw problem but rather HW malfunction.

Yes automatic levelling would be good for some owners.

Auto speed adaption i believe is country dependant. As i have tested it do not work in my country Latvia but it works in France for example.
Appreciate 1
rjabend376.00
      03-17-2024, 02:32 PM   #10
rjabend
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2024 X7  [6.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalvis View Post
You have set automatic time update according to your time zone and time is not correct? Cant imagine how this is possible. Unlikely it is sw problem but rather HW malfunction.

Yes automatic levelling would be good for some owners.

Auto speed adaption i believe is country dependant. As i have tested it do not work in my country Latvia but it works in France for example.
Thanks. Lots of other vehicle manufacturers in the USA have auto speed limit adoption, and I don't understand why BMW doesn't. Not clear why BMW chose to delete it in the USA and Latvia. I would be interested in knowing that answer if someone can provide it.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2024, 02:34 PM   #11
skrontz
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
For those satisfied with AVERAGE, I respect your desires, but I am not one of those and won't be buying another BMW. I am monitoring Lexus who has respectable technology and is about to leap forward with their latest highly rated "Teammate Advanced Drive" package. Lexus was the only company with acceptable Driver Assistance automation according to the IIHS. Lexus is also at the very top of the reliability list. I believe that is somewhat due to their thorough software debugging and release practices. On the subjective side, I just find BMW to be sloppy. We each have our own priorities when purchasing a vehicle.
I don’t know who at IIHS came up with the idea of comparing a top-of-the-line Lexus model with BMW X1 and MB C-Class, but it was obviously not a correctly executed test as clarified by BMW. I also find it very hard to believe that Tesla (who truly has absolutely superior self driving software) scored way behind Toyota.

Lexus is absolutely the leader in quality. I considered it until I saw the interior, which one cannot tell from any generic Japanese made mini van. It’s a comfortable yet floaty boat that will absolutely get you from point A to point B, but hardly generate any excitement. Like you said, to each their own, and we are all free to vote for the right choice with our own money. But to say that the BMW quality is unbearably bad is a massive overreaction to a few annoying yet minor issues.
Appreciate 1
keg97170.50
      03-17-2024, 02:44 PM   #12
keg97
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 & X7

The last Lexus LX600 I looked at a year or two ago was "fine". Like said, it felt like a dressed up fancy minivan. I realize it's mission is not the same as an X7, but the drive was worse than our 2017 Escalade ESV that had 160K on it. That's not good. At all.

Like I say to friends- Lexus is a fantastic purchase for those who want a luxury appliance. If you value the driving experience, it's highly doubtful you're considering a Lexus.

And that's to say nothing of the Lexus "design" language for the past decade. Oooof.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2024, 03:35 PM   #13
rjabend
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2024 X7  [6.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by keg97 View Post
The last Lexus LX600 I looked at a year or two ago was "fine". Like said, it felt like a dressed up fancy minivan. I realize it's mission is not the same as an X7, but the drive was worse than our 2017 Escalade ESV that had 160K on it. That's not good. At all.

Like I say to friends- Lexus is a fantastic purchase for those who want a luxury appliance. If you value the driving experience, it's highly doubtful you're considering a Lexus.

And that's to say nothing of the Lexus "design" language for the past decade. Oooof.
Actually, I find the BMW ride and quiet to be better than the Lexus but I always take a long test drive before closing a deal. That said, I don't drive in the Sport mode.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2024, 03:36 PM   #14
rjabend
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2024 X7  [6.50]
Quote:
I don’t know who at IIHS came up with the idea of comparing a top-of-the-line Lexus model with BMW X1 and MB C-Class, but it was obviously not a correctly executed test as clarified by BMW. I also find it very hard to believe that Tesla (who truly has absolutely superior self driving software) scored way behind Toyota.

Lexus is absolutely the leader in quality. I considered it until I saw the interior, which one cannot tell from any generic Japanese made mini van. It’s a comfortable yet floaty boat that will absolutely get you from point A to point B, but hardly generate any excitement. Like you said, to each their own, and we are all free to vote for the right choice with our own money. But to say that the BMW quality is unbearably bad is a massive overreaction to a few annoying yet minor issues.
Did you expect BMW to agree with it?
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2024, 03:40 PM   #15
skrontz
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Did you expect BMW to agree with it?
It’s not a matter of agreement. They pointed out an obvious and verifiable flaw in the test methodology. Do you really think that the test was apples to apples?
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2024, 03:46 PM   #16
rjabend
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2024 X7  [6.50]
Quote:
It’s not a matter of agreement. They pointed out an obvious and verifiable flaw in the test methodology. Do you really think that the test was apples to apples?
We are all entitled to our opinions
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2024, 03:49 PM   #17
skrontz
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
We are all entitled to our opinions
Sure, but the facts remain the same. Enjoy your new Toyota!
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2024, 03:52 PM   #18
keg97
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 & X7

Quote:
Actually, I find the BMW ride and quiet to be better than the Lexus but I always take a long test drive before closing a deal. That said, I don't drive in the Sport mode.
So what's the appeal to Lexus then?
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2024, 03:53 PM   #19
rjabend
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2024 X7  [6.50]
Quote:
Sure, but the facts remain the same. Enjoy your new Toyota!
If I decide on one, thank you
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2024, 03:55 PM   #20
rjabend
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2024 X7  [6.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by keg97 View Post
So what's the appeal to Lexus then?
Primarily reliability and support yet a test drive could disqualify Lexus; it is a new upcoming model and decision not made yet.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2024, 05:23 PM   #21
bimmerdiesel
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 335d, G07 M50i, F26 X4

Garage List
2022 bmw X7 M50i  [0.00]
2016 BMW X4  [0.00]
2009 BMW 335D  [0.00]
Quote:
Primarily reliability and support yet a test drive could disqualify Lexus; it is a new upcoming model and decision not made yet.
Don’t make the mistake of getting 1st year model of any brand. It is poised to be with lot of faults that it will leave a bad taste. It is well established fact in a BMWs and other bands. Sometimes problems don’t get fixed even for later years.
Appreciate 1
rjabend376.00
      03-17-2024, 05:44 PM   #22
rjabend
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2024 X7  [6.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerdiesel View Post
Don’t make the mistake of getting 1st year model of any brand. It is poised to be with lot of faults that it will leave a bad taste. It is well established fact in a BMWs and other bands. Sometimes problems don’t get fixed even for later years.
Good point! I will tread carefully. Thanks.
Appreciate 0