BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-26-2008, 07:12 PM   #1
SmoothStyle1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 340i, 6MT

Feedback on Navigation...

I'm torn about whether I should order my 128 with navigation. I'm really into technology and the navigation coupled with its real-time traffic and other features is really appealing to me, but at $2,100 it’s obviously not cheap. However, spreading the costs over a 5-year loan only amounts to an extra $40/month.

For those that ordered their 1 with navigation, please give me your feedback thus far. How do you like it? Is the screen size big enough? Is the iDrive intuitive and easy to use? Is it worth it?
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2008, 09:55 PM   #2
JAMS 135
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Save yourself $1700!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-26-2008, 10:52 PM   #3
gizmo
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS 135 View Post
Save yourself $1700!
Agreed, I have my nuvi set up exactly as pictured above and I have no regrets. Ten years down the road, I think we will look at built-in GPS systems in the same way we view built-in car phones today. But that is my humble opinion.
      03-27-2008, 06:08 AM   #4
chef_geek
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Just realize the $2100 comes with more than just Navi. If you are willing to sacrifice the other features and just get an aftermarket nav unit, there seems to good options out there.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2008, 08:27 AM   #5
SL01
Private
Rep
Drives:

We have an in-dash Garmin in our other car (Kenwood). BMW's iDrive with navigation isn't nearly as good. The maps are older, there aren't as many points of interest, the routing isn't as good and it's harder to use than a touch screen.

That said, it does work pretty well. It's taken me the better part of a week to wrap my brain around iDrive, but I don't regret getting it. I like using the UI for car settings, iPod, traffic info, blu-tooth, etc. The screen is big enough, the pop-up/pop-down stuff adds a batmobile factor. And the voice recognition works reasonably well.

So, is it better than Garmin? Nope. Is it worth it..... only you can decide that. Ask a dealer to demo it for ya.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2008, 08:34 AM   #6
Dave
formerly izzo/comeback
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 RC 350 F Sport

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.80]
also consider the mio 320
i got it for 100$ with 50 mail in rebate over xmas... and now its close to 200$

the voice by turn is key!
      03-27-2008, 10:04 AM   #7
pinksnyper
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

$2000 = flat screen TV , a new top of the line Garmin with bluetooth, a fat steak dinner.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2008, 10:40 AM   #8
SmoothStyle1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 340i, 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo View Post
Agreed, I have my nuvi set up exactly as pictured above and I have no regrets. Ten years down the road, I think we will look at built-in GPS systems in the same way we view built-in car phones today. But that is my humble opinion.
I disagree big time. It is more than a navigation screen, it is really a command center, and I think in the future, every car will have a large screen command center of sorts.

I consider the current day built-in navigation systems to be the fist generation automobile command centers. In the future, I think the command centers will include internet access, real-time navigation, Google Earth and the ability to control every electronic device imaginable, from cell phones, to garage door openers to interior house lights.

I have the opposite outlook that you do. IMO, no car will be without these command centers in 10 years.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2008, 10:44 AM   #9
randomquickness
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 996tt

^^I very much agree...when I was in japan even the "K" cars had a central screen
      03-27-2008, 10:51 AM   #10
sethchan
Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

I like it for the phone, the diagnostics and the iPod playlists. I also like it because you get voice control with it. A Garin or a Tom Tom won't do al that.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2008, 11:32 AM   #11
gizmo
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoothStyle1 View Post
I disagree big time. It is more than a navigation screen, it is really a command center, and I think in the future, every car will have a large screen command center of sorts.

I consider the current day built-in navigation systems to be the fist generation automobile command centers. In the future, I think the command centers will include internet access, real-time navigation, Google Earth and the ability to control every electronic device imaginable, from cell phones, to garage door openers to interior house lights.

I have the opposite outlook that you do. IMO, no car will be without these command centers in 10 years.
But why would you want to integrate all of this in a car when most of it is already available in a cellphone? I think you are correct in the assumption that the automobile will have a "command center" but why does the software/hardware need to be built in? We are already using bluetooth to integrate with the addressbook in our cellphones. Think about it, move from car to car and keep your favorite POIs, seating positions, internet favorites, favorite radio stations, ect.. Ideally the "command center" would be a "dumb" screen that simply pulls info from a cellphone like device. Also, I'd rather use the iPhone UI than the iDrive UI.

This is all future speak, and hopefully the "command center" moves in this direction and doesn't limit us by being "car specific".

I guess I just don't see much value in the current iteration of "command centers".
      03-27-2008, 02:43 PM   #12
60Driver
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Think about it, move from car to car and keep your favorite POIs, seating positions, internet favorites, favorite radio stations, ect..
While not a bad idea I just can't see that happening in the next, um, ever. The products car manufacturer’s offer is an attempt to differentiate the brand. They intentionally design radios / nav systems in a way that makes it near impossible to go aftermarket and still get a factory installed look. No doubt it’s a cash cow.

And what would happen if you left the house without your cell phone / command center? Say you wanted to go ‘off the net’ and leave the leash, er, cell phone at home. Then you might be stuck driving at your significant others seat and mirror settings, radio settings (Oprah on XM), etc.

Now, if they would just charge a reasonable price for the dumb thing that would be nice. BTW, did you ever post more photos of your car? I only remember seeing the first two.
      03-27-2008, 03:58 PM   #13
gizmo
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60Driver View Post
While not a bad idea I just can't see that happening in the next, um, ever. The products car manufacturer’s offer is an attempt to differentiate the brand. They intentionally design radios / nav systems in a way that makes it near impossible to go aftermarket and still get a factory installed look. No doubt it’s a cash cow.

And what would happen if you left the house without your cell phone / command center? Say you wanted to go ‘off the net’ and leave the leash, er, cell phone at home. Then you might be stuck driving at your significant others seat and mirror settings, radio settings (Oprah on XM), etc.

Now, if they would just charge a reasonable price for the dumb thing that would be nice. BTW, did you ever post more photos of your car? I only remember seeing the first two.
http://s275.photobucket.com/albums/jj308/dbenjami/135i/

Interoperability between brands will be the one thing preventing something like this. But, look at bluetooth, the push for standardized protocols is growing. Much of what I say is simply wishful thinking, but 20 years ago car phones the size of overnight bags were looked upon as "magic". Give it another 10 years and who knows.

I guess my point is, until something like this is provided. I will just use my iPhone, garmin, iPod. I can move all three between automobiles, walk down the street and have nav, music, phone -- and it all costs around 1/2 of the price.

If you want to pay ~$1000 for a couple extra integration features that aren't provided with the items listed above, be my guest, in fact, you have my blessing, hopefully some of that money will be put into R&D and I'll get my wishes listed above.
      03-27-2008, 04:30 PM   #14
60Driver
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:

Interoperability between brands will be the one thing preventing something like this.
So true. It'll take a lot of noise from the consumers to overcome manufacturer's resistence to common standards.

Quote:

If you want to pay ~$1000 for a couple extra integration features that aren't provided with the items listed above, be my guest, in fact, you have my blessing, hopefully some of that money will be put into R&D and I'll get my wishes listed above.
I didn't think to spend more time with the system when I took a test drive last month. No chance to do that now either. I guess I'd rather have it than not though. Hopefully they will spend those $$ on R&D. Maybe an improvement will even show up in an update. Ha!

Your car looks great btw.
      03-27-2008, 05:58 PM   #15
imported_saturn
Private
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sethchan View Post
I like it for the phone, the diagnostics and the iPod playlists. I also like it because you get voice control with it. A Garin or a Tom Tom won't do al that.
This point bears repeating. I think built-in navigation systems by themselves are pretty stupid. But if they have some sort of multimedia capability then they are most certainly worth it. If Garmin makes something that can integrate my iPod with voice controls I'm in.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2008, 06:45 PM   #16
gizmo
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Your car looks great btw.
Thanks!!

I don't think you will regret the nav. I didn't regret it on either of the two cars I owned prior. I figured I would have my hands full with 300hp under my right foot and probably shouldn't be fidgeting with a nav system in the process. :smile:
      03-27-2008, 08:49 PM   #17
1ToBeOn2Wheels
Freude am Fahren
United_States
Rep
Drives: B9 Audi S5 Coupe

I was torn too at first, but then I remembered you can set up a lot of vehicle dynamics easily and intuitively with the iDrive, among many other features.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2008, 08:52 PM   #18
1ToBeOn2Wheels
Freude am Fahren
United_States
Rep
Drives: B9 Audi S5 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS 135 View Post
Save yourself $1700!
Shouldn't you be going a little faster on Stanley?
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2008, 11:56 PM   #19
drand
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40

Quote:

I totally agree. The general trend in technology is moving towards intelligence in the cloud and a device just providing an interface. Think del.icio.us, GMail ad other Google apps. You will have everything at your fingertips where ever you are and regardless of the device that you have. The devices will be about differentiation and providing a better experience.
      03-28-2008, 08:30 AM   #20
JohnnyTT
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 3.5

For about $200-$300 you can get a portable GPS with lifetime Traffic updates. A lot more companies are offering that up front now with the unit.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2008, 12:45 PM   #21
EricUSC
Rep
Drives:

BMW has an accessory for installing Garmin navigation systems without suction cups and dangling wires. You might want to look into this option:

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3052
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2008, 01:12 PM   #22
JohnnyTT
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 3.5

Since I got the USB adapter... I'm going to get a hand held GPS with built in MP3 player/storage.

This way I'll just leave it plugged in under the armrest as a music machine.. and bust it out when I get lost (which is Never btw... being a man)
Appreciate 0