BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-29-2008, 04:05 PM   #1
raisemyrent
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: Black Sapphire 428i xD GC

I drove a 135i today - review

So I took that puppy out today. It's NOT a puppy; it's an angry monster that will take you wherever you take it. Think of the Never Ending Story flying thing gone bad. Ha ha ha, I hope you know what I mean.
The minute the dealer turned it on, I heard that low growl through the pipes... it sounds modded, angry, moody, not stock and tame. The sound is much less apparent under any other circumstance, but I like that "I'm ready, where are we going?" morning message that I will get as an owner.

So he parked it at the front and did as you said, U-Turn and on to the ring road. Well, sorry, *I* did that. I sat down, played around with the mirrors and seat and felt for the pedals. Man, that clutch, it's so sticky, I love it. You can really develop a feel of where it is as you press it. Then there is that steering wheel. I have small hands, I'm 5'10" as well, and it is just the right thickness, and the material is made for driving gloves. So the wheel is great. It has some nudges for your thumbs so that you always keep a good racing/driving hand position. PROBLEM: it DOES block the view of the instrument cluster... the same as my Jetta... I don't get it.. I'm not too tall, and germans are in general, tall, but it is so. Minor glitch.

So the drive; what can I say guys? whatever you have read, it is all true. This car can really accelerate... it does NOT feel like turbo, just instant power. The pedals are conveniently located for tapping the throttle while braking... the shifter has a good feel; it is short throws compared to non-sports cars... and it is very precise, you can't wiggle it much, it goes where it needs to go, and back. I liked the turn signal stalk; it reminded me of my mother's Opel (with the sticky feature). before I forget, there are countless threads on head space, storage space, finishes, etc. I will just say it is all as is said; with the finishes, especially the leather, being top BMW and not a "cheap" entry level.

So back to MY impressions of driving; super tight, it just goes where you want it.. you can feel the wheels at all times, I daresay I could drive that car after some time with my eyes closed and stay within my lane and turn and all (provided I know the road too)... you just communicate with it... you and the car have an unspoken relationship the moment you hit the button and it growls at you... think of it as riding a horse without a saddle...

hahaha anyways, far from the best remarks, the steering is tight... about 3 turns for full lock IMO, and that rear end doesn't go loose without the electronics keeping it at bay... I didn't go crazy at all, my driving consisted mostly of straight lines and sprints, because of the roads around the dealer and the traffic and gravel on the road. Oh, and the bloody traffic cops.

I did ONE start from 1st gear and gave her... and OMG, it just went, I wouldn't have hit 100km/h in just shy of 5 seconds because I had a sloppy launch from being IMPRESSED with the car, having a dealer next to me, and not being used to the car itself.. but oh boy, can it haul. I did a similar one, without actually trying or meaning to, in 2nd gear and it just goes like nobody's business.

On another occasion, I forgot I was on a test drive and took off from a red light like a normal, civil, commuter, and I got some looks (because of the styling, not the slow speed) from some sort of small SUV next to me, and other cars, and then, maybe consciously, maybe not, I slammed it when I was already in 3rd gear, and by the time I decided to look in the mirror, they had been left so far behind that I could not make out the faces. They never caught me.

Oh, this car is a ticket magnet, as has been said. It just wants to settle at a cruising speed over the limit; it just does, even if you try to not let it. I think I may just make a conscious effort to NOT go into 3rd or 4th gear sometimes; period. I may also glue a rock behind the accelerator so that I don't give it full throttle.... we'll see.

Oh, the brakes: perfect. I have a bit of a "throwy" driving style.... to best explain it, I like to brake late and just throw the car into places and deal with it at the last few metres. Well, yes, it is not ideal for brake pad duration or for traffic and pedestrians, but that is how I intuitively drive (I go through brake pads in less than a year usually). But the brakes in this car are just exactly what I want, I didn't even think of them like other people who have almost hit the wheel on their first stop in a 135i.... I just expected them to be the way they were and to do what they do when you really need to decelerate. God bless the brake pad replacement policy with the ultimate service.

The suspension is surprisingly good for daily driving and potholes and poor road contractors... but it still holds it tight when giving her. On that note, there is NO gap between the body and the top of the wheel as has been speculated... wheels/tyres any bigger would just look like an obsessed tuner got his way, IMO. This may not be the case with different versions of the car or such. On another note, it didn't have the comfort package but it had the puddle lights.

If you have any questions about any specific details (like have been asked around) please ask me on this thread and I will try to tell you (I tend to have a good memory).

What else, guys? It's a dream of a car, a match made in heaven hahaha
I took ONE picture, with my phone... I didn't want to make of it a journalistic event, but to bring home the sensation... so I just used my camera phone, and it sucks... there is no point putting it up, it just wrecks the indents on the post.
P.S. Sedona Red, DO love it or HATE it. (I hate it)
Appreciate 0