BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-03-2008, 07:12 AM   #1
white911
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135I - white/coral red - sport

RFT track tire pressures

I am new to RFTs and Paul at Radial Tire told me these things generate lots of heat and may chunk. It seems like I should bring the pyrometer with me to Summit Point.

My most recent experience is with Toyo RA1s, R888s, and MPSCs. I generally get about 8-9 psi pressure rise on the 911 depending on the moisture content of the air in the tire.

Near full tread (1200 miles by the time I get there)
TGT hot pressure??
Cold starting pressure??

Appreciate 0
      04-03-2008, 07:18 AM   #2
atr_hugo
No longer moderate
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

Alan - I'm trying to remember where the info is at - buried on page 12 of the general forum probably - but we had someone report back from the Gotland ring trip. They did have some comments specific to how the RE-050As performed and what they looked like at the end of the day. It wasn't pretty IIRC.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2008, 08:23 AM   #3
ersatzS2
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135i

Bstone run flats on the track, again...

Quote:
Originally Posted by atr_hugo View Post
Alan - I'm trying to remember where the info is at - buried on page 12 of the general forum probably - but we had someone report back from the Gotland ring trip. They did have some comments specific to how the RE-050As performed and what they looked like at the end of the day. It wasn't pretty IIRC.
Thought I'd revive this thread to ask does anyone have new information on pressures and how the rfts work at the track? I just returned from a track weekend at Mid OH (not driving the 1) where I shared garage w/some guys who shared a 335ix with the same Bstone rft. Despite the double duty, by Sunday they still looked pretty good. Great in fact.
Also this weekend I read a puff piece by Bstone describing their rfts, and one of the claims they make is that the compound formulation has extra resistance to overheating damage as part of the design that allows them to last uninflated. Which makes sense, and made me wonder if they might be more not less resistant to chunking than the average street tire.

In other news, picked up another nail, this time in the RF. That wheel/tire insurance is close to paid for in just 4 mos.
      07-08-2008, 01:02 PM   #4
ersatzS2
Private First Class
Rep

Photos: RFT badly chunked

Quote:
Originally Posted by ersatzS2 View Post
Thought I'd revive this thread to ask does anyone have new information on pressures and how the rfts work at the track? I just returned from a track weekend at Mid OH (not driving the 1) where I shared garage w/some guys who shared a 335ix with the same Bstone rft. Despite the double duty, by Sunday they still looked pretty good. Great in fact.
Also this weekend I read a puff piece by Bstone describing their rfts, and one of the claims they make is that the compound formulation has extra resistance to overheating damage as part of the design that allows them to last uninflated. Which makes sense, and made me wonder if they might be more not less resistant to chunking than the average street tire.
My bad. I had just looked at the shoulders of the tires, since that is where I've had chunking myself in the past. 335ix drivers just emailed me the attached photos. That's pretty bad chunking and in places I haven't seen before.
Attached Images

07-10-2008, 10:38 AM   #5
white911
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135I - white/coral red - sport

I could not do more then 4 or 5 laps at speed without the outside front being a problem. Personally, the tires work pretty well on the track in the rain, and then the brakes work better as well. Otherwise, neither stock tires or brake pads are up to the task. I had bled so much air out of the tire that cold pressure was 17psi that was to keep the pressure in the left front less then 40. Other three tires weren't as adversely affected.

Appreciate 0
      07-13-2008, 05:30 PM   #6
imported_bmwautoxer
Rep
Drives:

I autocross and had a set of Potenza RE050 RFT's for about 2 years. It sounds like you are doing more track stuff than autocross, but I settled in on 36 all the way around as being the best pressure...but I also had the advantage of being able to adjust pressure about only about a minute of hard driving.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2008, 12:27 PM   #7
ersatzS2
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by white911 View Post
Otherwise, neither stock tires or brake pads are up to the task. I had bled so much air out of the tire that cold pressure was 17psi that was to keep the pressure in the left front less then 40. Other three tires weren't as adversely affected.
Wow that is a lot of heat build up.

Could you elaborate on the brake comments? What happened to them? They are about the best street car brakes I have ever encountered so that plus the incredible dust probably means the pads are very soft. But what were the symptoms?
      07-18-2008, 12:55 AM   #8
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Fast ones

I will take pics of my front tyres tonight if I remember. I didn't get chunking the way you did, but the shoulders of the inside threads are not in very good shape.

As for pads, I am running an after market semi-track pads. What I found was that the stock pad bite harder, and stops better, but for 3 laps only at my local track (two 200kmh+ straights). With the new pads, I am getting 8 laps out of them without any issue. I also changed my fluids to RBF600 which would have helped as well.
Appreciate 0