BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-05-2008, 12:34 PM   #1
Graemeb
Rep
Drives:

Tyres...

Hey, just looking for some info / advice here. I've just ordered my new 123d M Sport as a company car. I've specified 18" wheels as an extra, but when I've gone to my local dealer (to look at the pretty cars !) I've noticed that their 1 series coupe demo (also with 18s) is wearing Potenza RE050A tyres. I've looked for reviews on these and it looks they aren't meant for use in the snow / ice. I need to be able to get about in winter for my job - nothing to heavy or rural, just to be able to get from A to B. Living in the North East we do get a pretty cold winter and sometimes snow though. My question is this, would choosing 17" wheels instead get me more practical tyres- which ones are standard on the 123d M Sport Coupe? Also would the 17" wheel in general be better in the snow? Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks guys.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2008, 02:24 PM   #2
moff
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X4M Competition

Like virtually all new tyres on new UK cars, they are not winter tyres.

Don't let this bother you, but if you do experience lots of snow and ice in the summer you should get another set of winter wheels with winter tyres like the scandinavians and other euro's.

However, I am doubting that you will get more than 10-12 days a year where the car is unusable with the stock RE050A's.

I have the non runflat RE050's on my S2000 and they have been fine in snow and ice, and that's on a 240bhp car with no traction control and weighing only 1270kg!

Just take it easy in the bad weather.

Gone: 2019 X3M Competition, Toronto Red, Adelaide Grey.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2008, 05:51 PM   #3
Graemeb
Rep
Drives:

Thanks for the advice, unfortunately I cover the Yorkshire Moors in my job, so we tend to get quite a bit of bad weather in winter (it's the land the gritter forgot)! It's good to know the RE050s handle so well though, maybe I'll just stick with the 18" wheels and take my chance with summer tyres.. Think I'll try and get some comparative pics then make my choice.. Thanks again, Graeme. :-)
Appreciate 0