BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-16-2008, 10:09 PM   #1
Andres G
4s Club - Are you member?
Rep
Drives:

Can I fit inside with my Helmet on?

Guys, I'm about to pull the trigger on the 135i for my wife but some conditions have to apply to it... one is that I have to fit inside with my helmet on.

I'm 6ft 2in tall and had a hard time finding sufficient headroom in the E46 M3 front seats. Would it be the same on the 135?

Also, is there a chance that getting manual seats would give me a little more headroom or a lower sitting position?

Thanks in advance,
Andres G
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2008, 04:48 AM   #2
white911
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135I - white/coral red - sport

Hard to say without putting on a helmet and trying it since it is so dependent on your body type. Your sitting height is the critical element. A friend (6'6") sat in mine at the track without a helmet and it was tight. I suggest taking your helmet to the dealer for a test fit.

Appreciate 1
      04-17-2008, 08:26 AM   #3
BMWeber
Major
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

+1 take a helmet to the dealer
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2008, 09:34 AM   #4
whiplash
Private No Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Depends on the day

Has anybody determined whether the manual seats go down further than the power seats? I have manuals, I'm about 6'1" and I fit OK with my helmet. I'm curious if power seats make a difference (if that's all the dealer has)?

Dan in Houston / CCA # 93849
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2008, 03:23 PM   #5
Andres G
Rep
Drives:

Guys, great suggestion on taking the Helmet to the dealership. I'll be doing this during the weekend and post back with my findings.

It would be interesting to know if there is any difference in sitting height between manual and power seats.

Thanks,
Andres G
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2008, 03:42 PM   #6
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

FWIW, I'm 6'3" and can fit with helmet. Most of my height is femur though, not torso. I've read posts here where people shorter than I am cannot fit (without a helmet), without their head constantly brushing the headliner.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2008, 07:44 PM   #7
E82tt6
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '08 Black Saphire Z4 MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiplash View Post
Has anybody determined whether the manual seats go down further than the power seats? I have manuals, I'm about 6'1" and I fit OK with my helmet. I'm curious if power seats make a difference (if that's all the dealer has)?
My car is manual, and I drove a power seat car.

I seemed to sit at least one inch lower in the manual seat car, but tough to say. I thought it would be a somewhat tight fit with a helmet in the auto-seat car (5'11), but I didn't seem like it would be a problem in my car. :iono:
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2008, 11:32 AM   #8
Klinn
Private
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by white911 View Post
I suggest taking your helmet to the dealer for a test fit.
Heh-heh, dealers love it when you show up for a test drive carrying a helmet. Fills them with confidence. :biggrin:

It's a good idea, just be prepared for some odd looks.

Anyway, when I sat in a manual-seat 135 and did the quick hand-on-top-of-the-head measurement, it seemed to be just about the same room as my E46. I was hoping for more since my helmet rubs the left side of the sunroof frame in the E46. It's not that I'm tall, but I like to sit relatively upright. We double-checked to make sure the seat was as low as it would go.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2008, 12:10 PM   #9
Andres G
Rep
Drives:

Ok, got back from the dealership last night with a major disappointment but with a flipside worth $995 in my pocket!

How does this work? Well I guess my torso is out of proportion or my legs are shorter than usual, or maybe I'm Jabba the Hutt... the thing is that I am 6.1' and I do not fit on the 135i with my helmet on (I wear a GForce 750 open face). I'm missing at least 1 full inch of headroom, if not more...

I usually drive very close to the steering wheel when on the track, using my legs up against the center console and door to gain a little additional support when cornering on the track.

I will end up ordering the car with manual seats (wife is a little pissed about this, but saving $995 cannot be that bad after all).

One other thing I can think about if I still want power seats would be to get a lower profile helmet. Anyone know about this type of thing? Are there helmets out there that offer similar protection to these basic ones like the GForce but have a smaller size or a flat top? (this would look really awkward!)

Thanks for the feedback guys and I hope this helps someone else looking into this before buying.

Cheers!
Andres
Appreciate 0