BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-18-2008, 02:38 PM   #1
oooLz
Rep
Drives:

Trickle Charger

Did anyone get the trickle charger add on? I was told that was the BMW version of a block heater.
It gets very cold where I'm from (winterpeg) and I'm not sure how Beamers are in frigid cold.

Any advice would be appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2008, 02:51 PM   #2
sndprssr
Tech. Certified
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i

A trickle charger doesn't really heat anything it just charges ( or keeps charged) the battery. People use them on classic cars and motorcycles that don't get started that often. Kind of pointless unless you have a problem with your battery draining while the car is parked...
      04-18-2008, 05:28 PM   #3
koala
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 06 BMW M Coupe

If you're running synthetic oil you'll be able to cold start the car at pretty frigid temperatures. I had an '04 S2000 that I cold-started at -45 and it fired up without issue (was not plugged in).

My current vehicle doesn't even have a block heater and I've cold started it at -25 to -30 without issue (CX-7, conventional oil).

As for the trickle charger part of it, if you are parking a car for the winter that has a good battery all you need to do is disconnect the negative battery terminal. A trickle charger isn't really needed... at least, I've never needed one.