BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-23-2008, 05:46 PM   #1
bdardashti
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '12 135i

iPhone and USB adapter

Sorry if this is a repost x10, however it's hard to understand how this USB function works.

Some are saying you need to have an iPod, with disk mode enabled, and put your music on the disk as files. Is that necessary? I tried the function on the 128i and 135i at my dealer, and both said "insert" when I clicked on USB on the non-iDrive display. Even though my 16GB 1.1.4 iPhone was connected (and being charged), the car did not detect it as a player. I plugged in a memory stick and it worked fine, but not with the phone.

Is this supposed to work? Or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks! and sorry for the repost.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2008, 06:56 PM   #2
Numb3rs
Banned
Rep
Drives: Looking

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdardashti View Post
Sorry if this is a repost x10, however it's hard to understand how this USB function works.

Some are saying you need to have an iPod, with disk mode enabled, and put your music on the disk as files. Is that necessary? I tried the function on the 128i and 135i at my dealer, and both said "insert" when I clicked on USB on the non-iDrive display. Even though my 16GB 1.1.4 iPhone was connected (and being charged), the car did not detect it as a player. I plugged in a memory stick and it worked fine, but not with the phone.

Is this supposed to work? Or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks! and sorry for the repost.

Are you using the supplied harness for iPhones ..?
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2008, 07:37 PM   #3
kevintran
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

you need the cable that has both the USB and 1/8 headphone male plug.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2008, 10:01 PM   #4
bdardashti
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '12 135i

So that cable you mention goes into the dock connector and splits into a USB and a headphone on the other side? How would that help make the car detect the phone?
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2008, 12:36 PM   #5
bmrgrl
Private
Rep
Drives:

I just saw this, maybe this helps:

The iPhone can now play music through many previously incompatible car adapters and other external speakers originally designed for the iPod. In the first software build, the phone wasn’t recognized as a music source by some of these devices, which get the music through the iPod connector on the bottom rather than the headphone jack. For instance, after I did the update, I was suddenly able to route the iPhone’s music output through my car iPod adapter, which the iPhone had previously recognized only as a charger, even though it acted as both a charger and an audio adapter for my iPod.

The article where it came from is here:
http://mossblog.allthingsd.com/20070...hone-features/
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2008, 11:04 PM   #6
nitramluap
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2004 E46 318i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdardashti View Post
So that cable you mention goes into the dock connector and splits into a USB and a headphone on the other side? How would that help make the car detect the phone?
It won't.

There are two main ways of connecting the iPhone to the car:
1) Phone cradle
2) USB adapter (6FL) - the y-shaped cable with a dock connector on one end and a USB & stereo jack on the other.

In both options the iPhone (telephone part) connects to the car via bluetooth. This is the ONLY way the telephone connects to the car's interface.

In 1) the iPhone is charged and also uses the external aerial, but you can not access your music
In 2) the iPhone is charged and you can access your music. The only negative is that it doesn't use the external aerial.

Paul
Appreciate 0