BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-27-2008, 02:36 PM   #1
roadburn
rrroadburn
United_States
Rep
Drives: SGM 135i

I am not using wax from the glands of a rainforest monkey

I know lots of folks opt for expensive & obscure waxes, the expensiver and obscurer the better.

I just polished my SGM 135 with Turtle Wax Ice. They sell it at Target.

But check it out: You can polish everything with it: The headlight covers, the shadowline trim, the sunroof window, the diffuser, the windshield-wiper arms, the wheels, the mirrors, everything.

It never leaves a speck of white residue. It doesn't require an orbital polisher operated by a Swedish masseuse. You can do it in full sun. It's some sort of mix of "silicone and hydrocarbon polymers."

Maybe I'm not ready for a Pebble Beach concourse, but shine is shine, and I've got it. And in the real world, it's hard not to like something this user-friendly.

CXXXVi
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2008, 02:50 PM   #2
ScottyGams
Uber-Lee7 Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

agreed...

i will get a great detailer for new car prep, but for a weekend wax job ICE FTW!
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2008, 02:56 PM   #3
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep
Drives: Cars Usually

Hey Roadburn, any pics to go with the review? I was at Target today looking at the Ice wax and their weird Ice liquid clay treatment. How much of a difference did it make? Can you compare it to other typical over the counter wax products? Any info, thoughts, and opinions would be greatly appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2008, 04:23 PM   #4
mchaskell
Traveler
Rep
Drives: 135i

I gotta agree with Roadburn. I have tried just about everything over the years from 3M to Zymol. I just tried Black Magic (recommended by Consumer Reports) yesterday and except for being a PITA getting it all off, it leaves as good a shine as anything else I have tried.

It is fun to try all the different product but this is what works for me:

- Simple Green (works great on the wheels etc.).
- Glycerin face soap (really cleans up the interior well and cheap).
- Any kind of car wash soap (I use Zymol from Target because I like the smell).
- Choose your wax/polish (just test it out first to make sure it does not scratch or haze the surface) though my favorite is
The Wax Shop Natural Carnauba Super Glaze (easy on, easy off and smells good).
- BMW's leather care, I really like Griot's also.
- 303 for the rubber, I like Griot's rubber treatment too.
- Meguiar's Quick Detailer for between wash touch-up, I think Griots is better but the Meguiar's is everywhere.
- A California Car duster (why wash when you can dust and Quick Detail).
- Plexus for all the plastic stuff.
      04-27-2008, 09:26 PM   #5
roadburn
rrroadburn
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregthegr8 View Post
Hey Roadburn, any pics to go with the review? I was at Target today looking at the Ice wax and their weird Ice liquid clay treatment. How much of a difference did it make? Can you compare it to other typical over the counter wax products? Any info, thoughts, and opinions would be greatly appreciated.
I was a Meguiar's guy & always liked their top-end products. In fact, it was a Meguiar's product that convinced me to try Ice -- namely, Meguiar's Ultimate Quik Detailer (photo attached).

This stuff is liquid magic for touching up your shine, much better than other detailers I've tried (though I haven't tried the Ice detailer). I loved the way the Meguiar's spray worked on all surfaces -- no worries about overspray, or a cleaning cloth brushing against a window. No white residue in tight seams. The Ultimate stuff just works like a charm on everything.

But Meguiar's doesn't have a wax with those same characteristics. So I tried Ice (I tried it first on my wife's Ford). It works the same way.

It goes on a little weird, more filmy than waxy, but it buffs to a great shine. I used one microfiber towel to remove the stuff, and then a fresh one to buff. More layers can mean more shine, they say.

It's not a "cleaning" wax (which I like -- no solvents or abrasives), but that means your car needs to be really clean first. I washed my 135 in the driveway (using Meguiar's) -- and had 5 different neighbors stop by or holler compliments.

I didn't shoot the 135 after I shined it; I hopped in & pressed "start."
Attached Images

CXXXVi
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2008, 09:41 PM   #6
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep
Drives: Cars Usually

That's funny. I posted something in another threat earlier today about how I just bought that ultimate quik detailer for the expensive $9.99 thinking I'd give it a try between washings to keep the car looking it's best, so glad to hear your rave review. I sat there holding the $4.99 normal quik detailer from meguiar's and this new one and I'm like, is it worth the extra $5? Figured the car was worth the lil extra and I'll use it next weekend to see what I think. I do like what you're saying though about how it can go on all surfaces, cause it's a pain to keep the normal one off the glass, trying to constantly shield it, etc. I'll probably try the ice then instead of the meguiar's nxt 2.0. Why not. I'm going to clay it first though to make sure it's pristine. Not going to do for a few weeks though....having too much fun driving it. Can't say enough how in love I am with this car. Ahhh.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2008, 09:46 PM   #7
roadburn
rrroadburn
United_States
Rep

I know what you mean about driving this fabulous car!

The shine is fine, but the blur is better....

CXXXVi
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2008, 10:39 PM   #8
Oregon
NRA Life Member, BMW CCA 30 year member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 04' M3

Garage List
1971 2002  [0.00]
2004 M3  [0.00]
2008 135i  [0.00]
Having used Meguiars for a lifetime, I tried Mother's just today, awesome wax.

I have a little secret to share, being a machinist, having a shop at home, I also have a source of compressed air with obligatory blow guns, white wax residue is too easily dealt-with, one short squirt, residue gone.:wink:

“To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them.” – George Mason
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2008, 01:58 AM   #9
J-Sud
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2

As far a quick detail try this ... http://www.chemicalguys.com/Pink_Qui..._p/wac_102.htm

$22 for a Gal. which is pretty cheap considering. It is by far the best quick detail i have used. Comes off easier than Megs. and leaves a much better shine and much better "anti-static".

Just my .02
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2008, 02:08 PM   #10
ChrisK
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C

Garage List
I don't really think you can buy a bad wax anymore, I just want the one that will last the longest. :smile:
      05-14-2008, 03:51 PM   #11
kfiducia
Happy 1er
Rep
Drives: 08 135i, 05 R6, 67 Camaro

i tried that ICE claybar and the ICE paste wax on my sister's car. the claybar does not get my vote, i ended up using an actual claybar, it worked MUCH better. her paint was highly oxidized. the ICE paste wax is really really incredible, i loved it. although i have an arsenal of zaino's stuff and will continue to use it on MY car, the ICE applied very easily, came off easily, didn't leave residue on anything, and gave a brilliant glossy, smooth shine. it took far less time than zaino and was much easier to use. i might end up switching if i can't get the zaino to work better. i can't see it to wipe it off because it is so thin, thin white haze on alpine white is like camouflage.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2008, 04:03 PM   #12
RobLS
Major
Rep
Drives: M3 Coupe

im using the nxt wash, i heard some good from it, happened to see it while shopping, thought it worked pretty well, any views on it?
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2008, 05:51 PM   #13
SlickShift
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '11 BMW E90 M3 ZCP, '21 X5 ZMP

I use Griot's Garage Speed Shine as an in-between-waxing paint cleaner. It works great. I definitely want to try out the Ice stuff too. Is it a more of a wax or polish?
Retired: '00 323i, '06 325Ci, '09 135i, '06 Z4M Roadster, '93 525i, '76 2002, '14 X1, '14 M235i, '16 X4, '16 435i
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2008, 06:20 PM   #14
kfiducia
Happy 1er
Rep
Drives: 08 135i, 05 R6, 67 Camaro

its a synthetic polish. not a wax. comes in a liquid and a paste - i happen to like pastes, so thats what i used.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2008, 06:24 PM   #15
mchaskell
Traveler
Rep
Drives: 135i

I tried the Ice liquid and it works well, however it does not fill in scratches like a wax.
      05-14-2008, 10:55 PM   #16
whiplash
Private No Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Depends on the day

Pep Boys had a deal on the ICE products, buy one get one free a few months ago so I decided to try it...I like it better than the Zymol! It's easier to put on, lasts longer and the shine is just as good.

Dan in Houston / CCA # 93849
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2008, 02:14 AM   #17
Nice1
Captain
Rep
Drives: e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobLS View Post
im using the nxt wash, i heard some good from it, happened to see it while shopping, thought it worked pretty well, any views on it?
the nxt wash is relatively strong and can strip your wax clean faster than milder shampoos. i would use it only if the car is really dirty but your better off with milder alternatives for regular washes.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2008, 02:39 AM   #18
MVF4Rrider
PCA, BMWCCA
Rep
Drives: 997S, MV Agusta F4, E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadburn View Post
It never leaves a speck of white residue. It doesn't require an orbital polisher operated by a Swedish masseuse. You can do it in full sun. It's some sort of mix of "silicone and hydrocarbon polymers."

Maybe I'm not ready for a Pebble Beach concourse, but shine is shine, and I've got it. And in the real world, it's hard not to like something this user-friendly.
The type wax is one thing, but preparing the surface for the wax is most important. Waxing over any surface deposits isn't ideal (and there will be surface deposits!). Claying and then using a quality orbital polisher to remove light scratches and prepare the surface for waxing is what is going to make the paint look its best in the long run. Plus, the thinner you lay the wax down the better it sets up and the easier it is to remove. Which is another selling point for the orbital. For sure with my orbitals, I can polish and wax exponentially faster than without them.

I've been using Griots Best in Show wax. Next time I'm using their carnuba wax. I hope to see a difference.

Claying is also great for glass!
      05-15-2008, 03:02 PM   #19
Brandon26pdx
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

I would stick with real clay bars for claying (As opposed to that "liquid clay" some companies offer.) Mothers and Meg's both offer a great claying kit for about $18.

Understandably some people (actually most people) probably dont have the patients or time to go through an entire 5 step detail with paint correction for a daily driven car. If your car is new there should be minimal swirl markage to begin with. Just be very very careful how you wash it to prevent more swirls. On a new car a nice wash/dry, clay job, and synthetic sealant ("wax") should be fine for months. The Meg's NXT Techwax 2.0 is getting good reviews...though haven't tried mine yet.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2008, 06:14 PM   #20
1er junkie
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

I love ice, although I just ordered a buttload of zaino product and a polisher. They kinda swirled my car at the dealer and I cant stand it!!!!!!!!! So, next Sunday is official, de-swirl my car day.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2008, 08:41 PM   #21
135guy
Rep
Drives:

The only problem with some of the Turtle Wax products, that I've heard.. they don't last very long. Great shine, but not much more than a month, maybe 2 of shine. I have not tried ICE before, so can't say regarding that one.

I usually use wax from a rare species of Monkey that can be found in belize...made from it's toes!!
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2008, 09:35 PM   #22
PA135i
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i 08 CR-V

For a new car or a car with good paint, I like Mothers pure carnuba. Easy on and off and lasts.
Appreciate 0