BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-27-2008, 11:51 PM   #1
ebrown0104
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Mini Clubman

How does the USB control iPod?

Well, let me start out by saying Hi, this is my first post on the forum. I saw the 1 series at the Pittsburgh Auto Show a week ago and now I am confident in saying that I'll own one by this time next year (gotta pay off the bike first). I have a few questions about this car that I haven't found real good answers on (or maybe I haven't looked hard enough ). One of them is regarding the iPod control with the USB port. I know that some cars' factory iPod controls are not very good. Take VW for example, you can only select from 5 playlists on the head unit, and you have to name them "VW 1", "VW 2", and so on (or something to that effect). I currently have a $175 Alpine CDA-9884 in my Cavalier, and I can scroll through every song on the iPod from the head unit, I can sort by Artist, Album, Genre, everything. I'm wondering how the controls are set up in the 1 series' stereo. Can I select by Artist, etc. or am I stuck picking from 5 or 6 different playlists, only to wonder about the other 6000 songs I have saved on there?

Thanks for any insight, and I'll hopefully be talking to a lot more of you all shortly.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2008, 02:56 AM   #2
Numb3rs
Banned
Rep
Drives: Looking

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebrown0104 View Post
Well, let me start out by saying Hi, this is my first post on the forum. I saw the 1 series at the Pittsburgh Auto Show a week ago and now I am confident in saying that I'll own one by this time next year (gotta pay off the bike first). I have a few questions about this car that I haven't found real good answers on (or maybe I haven't looked hard enough ). One of them is regarding the iPod control with the USB port. I know that some cars' factory iPod controls are not very good. Take VW for example, you can only select from 5 playlists on the head unit, and you have to name them "VW 1", "VW 2", and so on (or something to that effect). I currently have a $175 Alpine CDA-9884 in my Cavalier, and I can scroll through every song on the iPod from the head unit, I can sort by Artist, Album, Genre, everything. I'm wondering how the controls are set up in the 1 series' stereo. Can I select by Artist, etc. or am I stuck picking from 5 or 6 different playlists, only to wonder about the other 6000 songs I have saved on there?

Thanks for any insight, and I'll hopefully be talking to a lot more of you all shortly.
Need to search. There is detailed info on all of this. Short answer is: YES! You can control your ipod from the control in your car if your car has that option.

A better question is why...?
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2008, 10:06 PM   #3
ebrown0104
United_States
Rep

so can anyone tell me what's up?
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2008, 02:42 PM   #4
Kokanator135
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: seeking m240i

I'm also in Pittsburgh and expecting a 135 with i-drive.....will update when my car arrives. I really rely on my i-phone, so this was a big selling point for me in getting the nav.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2008, 03:15 PM   #5
RickR
Private
Rep
Drives:

I have the standard audio with the iPod option, premium package, but no nav. Integration is seamless - you can select genre, album, artist, playlist, etc. The display provides two lines of information - either two tracks or track and artist. The only real drag is scrolling thru a long list - I haven't found a way to jump or page thru the list.

The iPhone also integrates well via bluetooth. Although I find the voice commands (dial name, dial number, etc.) are not always reliable.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2008, 03:47 PM   #6
NOLEimit
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickR View Post
I have the standard audio with the iPod option, premium package, but no nav. Integration is seamless - you can select genre, album, artist, playlist, etc. The display provides two lines of information - either two tracks or track and artist. The only real drag is scrolling thru a long list - I haven't found a way to jump or page thru the list.

The iPhone also integrates well via bluetooth. Although I find the voice commands (dial name, dial number, etc.) are not always reliable.
I read this a while back on the forums.....I don't know about you, but I never use the Genre criteria for my music. So Use Genre as an Alphabetic Label to match up to Artist.

Alter Bridge = A
Beastie Boys = B
.....etc

Works great.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2008, 08:02 PM   #7
amybang
... and Orca too!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i Convertible (AW/CR)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLEimit View Post
I read this a while back on the forums.....I don't know about you, but I never use the Genre criteria for my music. So Use Genre as an Alphabetic Label to match up to Artist.

Alter Bridge = A
Beastie Boys = B
.....etc

Works great.
Why? I already have an alphabetical artist option?

I'm pretty happy with the iPod controls. Sure, it's not as good as on the actual iPod, but the interface also wasn't designed by Apple. I'll give BMW car design props, but Apple wins hands down on electronic gadgets.

Anyway, when I shopped, I brought my iPod along and stuck it in all the cars I could. Figured out the iPod interface without help and could access what I want. I also wish I could figure out a way to scroll through artists or albums faster - you have to use the knob on the dash unit, can't do it on the steering wheel. But once you pick an artist or album, the shuffle mode works within it too.

As for other cars, I tried Audi/BMW, and got rather angry that they expected me to pay for that insult of a feature. BMW positively shined in contrast.

amy!
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2008, 09:16 PM   #8
ebrown0104
United_States
Rep

excellent, thanks for all the help. Just trying to decide what I do and don't want in my car (even though I still have a year until I actually buy one!)
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2008, 08:15 AM   #9
RickR
Private
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by amybang View Post
Why? I already have an alphabetical artist option?
Although I haven't tried it, this approach presumably provides a work-around to scrolling thru a long list of artists; e.g. use the genre listing to jump to artists that start with "W", then scroll only those artists. Much faster than scrolling the entire alpha list of artists.

In my case, though, I use the genre for random play so I'm stuck with the long scroll.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2008, 10:46 AM   #10
amybang
... and Orca too!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i Convertible (AW/CR)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickR View Post
Although I haven't tried it, this approach presumably provides a work-around to scrolling thru a long list of artists; e.g. use the genre listing to jump to artists that start with "W", then scroll only those artists. Much faster than scrolling the entire alpha list of artists.
Ah, I get it now. I can see that. However, it would also be a long project to set that up in iTunes. Hmmm.

amy!
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2008, 10:54 AM   #11
spongeWorthy
Private
Rep
Drives:

this is why the USB option is so great.
you can set up any folder structure you like on the actual thumb drive, and then just drill down by Directory, OR use the built in Artist, Genre, or Album list.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2008, 11:54 AM   #12
coco_m3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Supercharged E90 M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
2010 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
so once you select a song with the knob, you can use the steering wheel buttons to go to the next song?
i have the standard audio system.
      05-07-2008, 12:04 PM   #13
RickR
Private
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbullet135i View Post
so once you select a song with the knob, you can use the steering wheel buttons to go to the next song?
i have the standard audio system.
Yup. You can jump forward and back thru the tracks with the steering wheel buttons.
Appreciate 0