BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-28-2008, 07:28 PM   #1
reo5001
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Waxing Advice.

So my AW 135i is my first car and my family has not really hand washed their vehicles. I don't want to send my car to a car wash either. Anyone have any tips on how to finish the car after cleaning (waxing), like what type of wax and proper ways to apply it? Any help would be appreciated. :smile: I want to do a before and after picture with her! (She is really dirty at the moment )
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2008, 08:03 PM   #2
MadMan77
↓↓↓ Ex-Con ↓↓↓
Guam
Rep
Drives: Jet Black '08 135i

I think you should start here:

http://www.autopia-carcare.com/how-to.html

Start with INTRODUCTION TO CAR DETAILING and go on from there.

It will help you tons.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2008, 09:59 PM   #3
Lester
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives:

Zaino

Quote:
Originally Posted by reo5001 View Post
So my AW 135i is my first car and my family has not really hand washed their vehicles. I don't want to send my car to a car wash either. Anyone have any tips on how to finish the car after cleaning (waxing), like what type of wax and proper ways to apply it? Any help would be appreciated. :smile: I want to do a before and after picture with her! (She is really dirty at the moment )
I ordered the Zaino Bros ZKIT-1 Zaino Total Protection Show Car Kit and Z-CS Z-CS Clear Seal. You can't go wrong, you might as well do it right.

For general washing - get a nice microfiber car wash mitt and some good quality car wash cleaner with carnuba wax like Mothers or Simoniz. Start off by rinsing the car with cool freash water (out of the sun - never wash a car that is hot or sitting in the sun). In fact, a great time to wash your car is after it's beenr raining.

Use the mcrofiber wash mitt - in a fresh bucket of warm water and some of the aforementioned car wash product. (Never EVER use dishwashing soap)!

Start at the top of the car, and use long passes over the car, don't swirl the mitt. Wash the roof and windows, and rinse off. Then wash the hood and trunk, then rinse off - again - use long passes of the mitt, no swirling! Then do the fenders and doors. Make sure to rinse the mitt out often, and don't let it drop or rest on the ground as it might pick up a piece of gravel or dirt. After that - repeat the whole cycle in case you missed a spot. The second pass will be quicker than the first as the car is now nicely lubricated from the first washing.

Then using a sponge with a coarse backing and some wheel cleaner (I like the Simoniz product) and clean the wheels. Rinse with some of the car wash liquid on the sponge to get some of the residual wax on the wheels. Rinse everything well, and inspect for any small spots that somehow were missed. Now you are ready to take it for a spin to air dry the car. Alternatively, you can wipe it down gently with microfiber or soft cotton towels.

After the car is dry, or perhaps the next day - use some tire detailer to make them nice and black!

Then take it for a cruise down main street, as you are ready for prime time!

1983 E21 Delphin, M10, 5 speed, LSD, MSW wheels, recaro seats, Hartge strut brace, rear sway bar.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2008, 08:55 AM   #4
reo5001
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Thanks both for all the great info. It's gonna be a fun wash!
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2008, 09:10 AM   #5
MVF4Rrider
PCA, BMWCCA
Rep
Drives: 997S, MV Agusta F4, E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by reo5001 View Post
Short version:

wash-clay-polish-wax

tips:

1) wash the wheels first. If you don't the car paint might dry while you're cleaning them and leave many spots, which are deposits. Start with fresh water/car wash when you begin the body. Dry it well with a towel that won't scratch the paint.

2) apply polish and wax (separately) with a machine such as Griot's orbital and remove by hand. Clay first of course. Use a mild polish unless you have a deep scratch to remove, then apply a stronger polish to that are only. Finish that area with the mild polish.

3) the use of purpose made products is ideal (wash, clay, waxes, drying towels, applicators, etc.)

4) See Griots.com. That's all you need to know.

Note: you only need to polish and wax a few times per year. You may have to clay more often, perhaps as often as you wash depending on the area you live and what you find on the paint finish day to day.
      04-29-2008, 03:22 PM   #6
Nice1
Captain
Rep
Drives: e82

use two buckets: 1 for your sudsy water and 1 to rinse off your mitt. once you're done soaping up one panel, give your mitt a nice rinse in the rinse bucket, then start over on a new panel. i also recommend grit guards on both buckets, or at least on your rinse bucket, to aid in keeping the dirt in the bottom. don't count on it though to keep all dirt separated.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2008, 03:45 PM   #7
Rye
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

I use 2 buckets differently. 1 bucket/mitt for wheels, another bucket/mitt for the body.

For wax I use 1 Grand Blitz. Melts like butter when applying it, doesn't stain rubber, don't need to use brute strength to buff off.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2008, 05:55 PM   #8
stso0000
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 AW 135i

If you want the mother of all car washing routines, checkout:

http://www.northamericanmotoring.com...ad.php?t=37303

This is how I found out about Zaino.

ST
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2008, 08:39 PM   #9
Nice1
Captain
Rep
Drives: e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by stso0000 View Post
If you want the mother of all car washing routines, checkout:

http://www.northamericanmotoring.com...ad.php?t=37303

This is how I found out about Zaino.

ST
awesome link, thanks!!!!
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2008, 10:35 PM   #10
mrgoochio
135i Coupe Owner!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i Coupe

Please read the sticky posted in this detailing section.. thats what it's for.

You can find the link here:
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4686
  • P1 Lemon Boston Leather
  • High Gloss Black Trim
  • Comfort Access System
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2008, 10:51 PM   #11
reo5001
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Sweet thanks!