BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-02-2008, 09:53 AM   #1
MINI135i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C and 2013 FR-S

Let's talk STU!

I am thinking:

17x9 with at least 255's. You can go up to 275 but I am sure fender modification is in order. Dunlop Z1, Re01r's, or Advans (your choice)-Shaved.

LSD of course

Double adjustable TC Kline coilovers, 600/500 range?

Camber plates for lots of camber up front

Did I mention LSD

The one good thing I have seen at Nationals is the HPT surface allows great rotation due to how slippery it is. This is an advantage for the RWD BMW's. The drawback is lack of traction against the AWD cars, and it is a very big drawback!

The 7th place BMW 325is in STX last year at Nationals is a car I beat all the time at home in Denver in my 07 Cooper S (STX Trim). In fact, I just beat him again last Saturday by 2/10ths. On the HPT surface I was 1.5 seconds behind due to my lousy FWD and the horrible slippery surface.

The take home is the BMW 325is that I have a good comparison or reference to was in 7th against all the WRX's and took a trophy home.
I think the smaller and tight courses at HPT lend to the rotation abilities of the BMW. I would think a STU 135i with 300 hp might be able to see a trophy finish against those pesky STI/EVO's in STU! (Thirteen tropies last year in STU).
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2008, 11:23 AM   #2
mikeo
Santa Fe Concorso
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 M-sport 328i, '13 X1 28i

Catless downpipes woud be legal in STU since the 135i has two pair (oops, maybe not if it throws a CEL, so catted DPs), also cold air intake, just no software that alters boost.

You might want to consider 18x9 and 18x10 LTW-5 wheels and rolling the fenders to suff 255 and 275 tires in there. With enough negative camber it would probably work.
      05-02-2008, 11:39 AM   #3
RedTRex
Digital Cerebrum
United_States
Rep
Drives: 05 330ci ZHP

Garage List
2005 BMW 330ci  [0.00]
I read somewhere that 285/30s would actually fit......

I plan on staying DS for now.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2008, 12:01 PM   #4
mikeo
Santa Fe Concorso
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 M-sport 328i, '13 X1 28i

I've been down that 'build to class' road and won't do that again with a dual purpose car. Since I will never compete Nationaly, I just drive to the event now, put the numbers on, do tech, compete, take the numbers of, and drive home (a lot of fun can be had with good street tires!). Immensely cheaper and easier and the fun and compettion is still there.
      05-05-2008, 09:29 AM   #5
Fair
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by MINI135i View Post
I am thinking:

D-Force 17x9 with at least 255's. You can go up to 275 but I am sure fender modification is in order. Dunlop Z1, Re01r's, or Advans (your choice)-Shaved.

LSD of course

Double adjustable AST coilovers, 600/500 range?

Vorshlag Camber plates for lots of camber up front

Did I mention LSD
Fixed that for ya... :biggrin:

As another poster replied, STU-legal custom/lightweight downpipe, cats and after-cat exhaust is going to be a big "boost" to performance for the 135. Other weight saving items can only help the curb weight heavy 135, such as a lightweight battery and fixed back racing seats (25# minimum weight per, with brackets).

One thing to remember: the twin turbo set-up of the 135/335 is currently not legal in STU, until a proposed update to the class rules goes thru. Please write the Solo Events Board asking for this rule to be amended at SEB@SCCA.com. Include your name, SCCA membership number and that you would be running STU if allowed. I bet this update will happen and the 135 would be legal for STU in 2009.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2008, 11:18 PM   #6
MINI135i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C and 2013 FR-S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fair View Post
Fixed that for ya... :biggrin:

As another poster replied, STU-legal custom/lightweight downpipe, cats and after-cat exhaust is going to be a big "boost" to performance for the 135. Other weight saving items can only help the curb weight heavy 135, such as a lightweight battery and fixed back racing seats (25# minimum weight per, with brackets).

One thing to remember: the twin turbo set-up of the 135/335 is currently not legal in STU, until a proposed update to the class rules goes thru. Please write the Solo Events Board asking for this rule to be amended at SEB@SCCA.com. Include your name, SCCA membership number and that you would be running STU if allowed. I bet this update will happen and the 135 would be legal for STU in 2009.
Thanks for fixing that....

Yeah, it appears that the proposal will become official mostly due to common sense. The single turbo rule doesn't make much sense anymore.

I will give the SEB my input for sure.

My first goal is to get a good suspension/camber on this car and real rubber/racing wheels. Once I get a feel for how it might compete then I will be more willing to start squeezing every pound and hp out of it. My gut feeling is this car could do well in STU. HPT is such a "horrible" surface it kind makes one rethink set up in general...but I think there are some advantages to be had over the EVO's and STI's on that surface...the big problem is that darn AWD, however.

I would like to see an AWD STU/STX and a Non-AWD STU/STX especially considering the crappy surface we race on, but hey, like everyone I am bias.

Hope to see some 135i suspension bits on your website soon!:thumbup:
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2008, 01:03 AM   #7
Charles1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i

I will be running STU or SP not sure if I can live without the ECU tune. Still have some BSP vetts to stomp on.
Appreciate 0