BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-02-2008, 06:34 PM   #1
Temple
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Rear View Mirror Question...

I was wondering if anyone has ordered a 135i without the premium package and replaced the rear view mirror with one that has the homelink and auto dimming functions or is this even possible?
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2008, 09:46 PM   #2
defcon1racing
grebo guru
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Temple View Post
I was wondering if anyone has ordered a 135i without the premium package and replaced the rear view mirror with one that has the homelink and auto dimming functions or is this even possible?
I was wondering the same thing. I did not see it in the accessories catalog, but maybe it is plug and play. I'd think that a non-prem pkg 135 is still prewired for the mirror. Anyone?
      05-03-2008, 12:15 AM   #3
b_riedy@mac.com
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Land Rover Disco

I had spoken with my dealership about that as I didn't care about leather, but wanted the BMW Assist and the Homelink.....thus I was going to pass on the Premium Package. They stated the mirror was something like $500 and they would do the install. In the end, i sprung for the premium.....but I think your question can be done.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2008, 12:32 AM   #4
nordique14
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: SGM 135i 'vert

The only thing of interest in the premium package to me is the mirror. It looks like the same one that is in the 3-series...and the mirrors are offered in the 3-series accessory book. So I would think they could also be put in the 1-ers after the fact. I will try if I can find one for a good price.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2008, 08:42 PM   #5
holo777
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135i Conv

Any luck with new Mirrros? In my 135i conv w/o premium the mirror is a joke! I think it is half the size of the premium package one. My dealer quoted the part at $600 btw.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2008, 10:21 PM   #6
AndyM
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

The non-premium mirror has 2 wires running to it. Both for the LED in the clown nose.

The mirror from the premium package has 10-12 running to it. Clown nose plus the auto dim plus the auto dim for the side mirrors (x2) plus the UGDO.

Since you need to route those wires and tap for their power and ground (I did not see a harness anywhere) you are talking about a lot of work. I have an M Z4 mirror which is a much nicer shape than the mirror in my 135 but I am not sure if I want to open the can of worms that is getting it all to work. Maybe I will work on getting the auto dim to function so I can use it, maybe not. The older BMWs (e36/Z3/e46) mirrors ran through the ZKE module so if you mess up, you mess the car up...big time.

Cliff notes: no plug and play.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2008, 07:55 AM   #7
holo777
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135i Conv

I need to get out the camera. I've got a piece of gray transparent plastic the same size as the clown nose instead of the red led. mostly I'm interested in getting a larger size mirror and the universal garage door function. No plug and play doesn't bother me... I just don't want to have to use a dremel too much
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2008, 09:34 AM   #8
AndyM
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by holo777 View Post
I need to get out the camera. I’ve got a piece of gray transparent plastic the same size as the clown nose instead of the red led. mostly I’m interested in getting a larger size mirror and the universal garage door function. No plug and play doesn’t bother me... I just don’t want to have to use a dremel too much
I’d be interested to see your mirror, I want to go the other way with mine, I think the stock one is too big. I doubt you would need to dremel, but you would need to figure out the wiring and get power to the UGDO portion of the mirror.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2008, 10:09 PM   #9
Zyphen
Rep
Drives:

Has anyone yet figured out if the dealer can install any form of homelink into a non ZPP optioned 1 series?
Appreciate 0