BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-15-2008, 11:51 AM   #1
Spook
Bring Bail Money
Rep
Drives:

Resources for Learning: Suspension Upgrades

I've not modded a car before. I have always found paying others was the greater good for car mainenance and repair.

Now, with a new 135, I find myself wanting to accomplish the following:

- April - Nov: Summer performance tires, slightly stiffer suspension to enjoy some of our fun, twisty, New Mexico mountain roads

- Dec-Mar: Winter tires (more for cold than snow), slightly softer suspension since I won't be seeking so much performance and comfort is good

So.. how do I learn about shocks/coil overs/offsets/adjustments/products? Are there good online guides versus vendor marketing literature? How did the experts here learn? Is experience the only teacher? Guidance appreciated.

-Spook
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2008, 12:41 PM   #2
MVF4Rrider
PCA, BMWCCA
Rep
Drives: 997S, MV Agusta F4, E46 M3

You need to know all you want and have a budget in mind. Start here:

1. Use: spirited driving, auto-x, track days, and/or racing
2. Lowering, yes/no
3. Height adjustable, yes/no
4. Adjustable damping, yes/no
5. Sacrifice ride quality, yes/no
6. Camber adjustability, yes/no
7. Oversteer/understeer/neutral
8. Longevity

As for sources, I'll leave that to others
      05-15-2008, 03:56 PM   #3
white911
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135I - white/coral red - sport

Fred Puhn - How to Make Your Car Handle
the 'To Win' Series -
Tune to Win
Engineer to Win
Start your research now -- we give classes at our DEs dealing with those things -- they are taught by a Professor, who rolls them the handling material into his course syllabus and has been successful integrating the classes into the University curriculum.

Appreciate 0
      05-15-2008, 04:22 PM   #4
Spook
Bring Bail Money
Rep
Drives:

What did people do before forums? To others that might be interested "How to Make Your Car Handle" by Fred Puhn and 'Tune to Win' by Carroll Smith are available on Amazon. Haven't checked local bookstores yet.

Thank you very much Balls and white911. I will do my homework before proceeding.

-Spook
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2008, 04:47 PM   #5
Doolab
Private
Rep
Drives: '96 Maxima SE 5MT, '04 MB E500

Check out the Turn Fast website... I recommend you read through the articles a couple of times to get very familiar with the terminology as well as the techniques...

Also, join either BMWCCA, SCCA, and/or NASA Pro Racing. Check out their schedules for events, then go check out one of them events and see if you can hitch a ride or 2 with a participant or instructor... HPDE days would probably be your best bet...

In my experience, if you sign up to a beginner HPDE (high performance driving experience) event, you'll get hands-on funfilled experience that will be more fun than a weekend at the amusement park.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2008, 05:00 PM   #6
sndprssr
Tech. Certified
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i

I learned a little from school but most from personal experience. You just have to be careful, I had a suspension set up to be a track star and it S-U-C-K-E-D, sucked on the street. I felt it if I ran over an ant's booger in the road. If the car is going to see DD use, make sure it's either easily adjustable or at least a compromise you can live with...