BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-20-2008, 04:38 PM   #1
silverfox
Alpine White M Performance
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5

135i getting new high pressure fuel pump

During my 1200 mile break in period, I experienced about half a dozed prolonged engine starts (2-3 seconds) after pushing the start button. A yellow engine light would then come on and the car would go into limp mode(partial power). I just shut the car down and restarted and the abnormal conditions went away. I finally took the 1 into the dealer to get the situation evaluated and the tech told me that my engine was throwing a fault code for my fuel pump. Tech stated that he usually sees this problems on 330's but that the good news is that once it is replaced, there are never any more problems. Tech further stated that a 1 was in yesterday getting the same problem fixed.

I hope that this is an isolated incident but thought everyone should at least be aware.

The 135i rules

Ob. :roundel:
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2008, 04:44 PM   #2
Robert
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i -> is350 -> Tesla M3 perf

Sorry to hear this. BMW said this problem was fixed on 335i, apparently not. I really dont trust what they say.
      05-20-2008, 04:48 PM   #3
plien69
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i

Silver, what was your build date?
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2008, 05:25 PM   #4
BMW Dreamer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Modded 06 TL Manual

This has been a problem for SO LONG it pisses me FKN OFF.
I have been reading about this problem for 2 YEARS. I guess BMW is doing NOTHING about this bullshit problem. This is one of the reasons I am very hesitant on buying a BMW. They don't do SQUAT about problems. I am suprised the overheating issue hasn't come up yet. Even with the cooler it happens. I HOPE people who bought the automatic trans don't loose reverse like MANY other BMW's. I better stop now.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2008, 05:40 PM   #5
gemini330zhp
Major
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 E90

Oh great fuel pump problems again??
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2008, 06:33 PM   #6
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

I read a review of the 335i where it went into 'limp mode' when it was tested at a track. They said BMW was going to fix the problem. It DOES worry me as I live in hot TX, where it's over 100 for months.

As an ex-owner of a BMW motorcycle, it was frustrating how BMW dealt with problems. Or how they didn't deal with them. After a ton of owners b*tched, the 2 problems I had (bad ECU and bad 5.5" wheels) were dealt by 'silent campaigns', which means if you didn't read the internet you were screwed. And those campaigns went on only for a specified period of time. But most bike manufacturers are like that, to be fair. I guess since they're not considered 'basic' transportation. Enough for now. Later.
JC
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2008, 06:49 PM   #7
mistermojorizin
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
I read a review of the 335i where it went into 'limp mode' when it was tested at a track. They said BMW was going to fix the problem. It DOES worry me as I live in hot TX, where it's over 100 for months.

As an ex-owner of a BMW motorcycle, it was frustrating how BMW dealt with problems. Or how they didn't deal with them. After a ton of owners b*tched, the 2 problems I had (bad ECU and bad 5.5" wheels) were dealt by 'silent campaigns', which means if you didn't read the internet you were screwed. And those campaigns went on only for a specified period of time. But most bike manufacturers are like that, to be fair. I guess since they're not considered 'basic' transportation. Enough for now. Later.
JC
different problems. the limp mode thing was supposedly fixed with the addition of an oil cooler but it still happens on some cars at the track. nothing to do with the fuel pump.

"KOPEYKA" /// Titanium Silver / Black Leather / Gray Poplar / Sport Package / Premium Package / 6MT / Feb 08 Production
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2008, 09:19 PM   #8
boltz
Registered
Rep
Drives:

limp mode

Limp mode is invoked whenever any condition exists that could threaten the longevity of the engine. My 135i high pressure fuel pump failed 6 hours after I took delivery of the car (last Friday), and the car entered limp mode. It will also enter limp mode should the oil temperature get too high, the water temperature get too high, and for lots of other reasons.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2008, 09:23 PM   #9
ScottyGams
Uber-Lee7 Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff1962 View Post
This has been a problem for SO LONG it pisses me FKN OFF.
I have been reading about this problem for 2 YEARS. I guess BMW is doing NOTHING about this bullshit problem. This is one of the reasons I am very hesitant on buying a BMW. They don't do SQUAT about problems. I am suprised the overheating issue hasn't come up yet. Even with the cooler it happens. I HOPE people who bought the automatic trans don't loose reverse like MANY other BMW's. I better stop now.
funny, the reverse gear in my 2001 4.4 X5 is starting to slip:iono:

not to jack, was there a BMW offered recall for that?
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2008, 10:36 PM   #10
mistermojorizin
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltz View Post
Limp mode is invoked whenever any condition exists that could threaten the longevity of the engine. My 135i high pressure fuel pump failed 6 hours after I took delivery of the car (last Friday), and the car entered limp mode. It will also enter limp mode should the oil temperature get too high, the water temperature get too high, and for lots of other reasons.
yep, it will also enter limp mode if you have problems with your tune. but the whole track limp mode thing has to do with temps. and it was in a magazine review.

btw, how long did it take to get the pump replaced and did they update your software?

"KOPEYKA" /// Titanium Silver / Black Leather / Gray Poplar / Sport Package / Premium Package / 6MT / Feb 08 Production
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2008, 01:51 AM   #11
mrgoochio
135i Coupe Owner!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i Coupe

I have noticed prolonged starting times in my 1 from a cold startup. It takes 2-3 seconds before it decides to kick on. I didn't notice any limp modes yet though? Kindof worried me but I just get too excited to drive once the car is finally on to make a note for later..
  • P1 Lemon Boston Leather
  • High Gloss Black Trim
  • Comfort Access System
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2008, 05:00 AM   #12
ichiban
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

No cold feet in my 1 yet. *knocks on wood*
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2008, 05:21 AM   #13
BMW Dreamer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Modded 06 TL Manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyGams View Post
funny, the reverse gear in my 2001 4.4 X5 is starting to slip:iono:

not to jack, was there a BMW offered recall for that?
There are MANY MANY people complaining about reverse going out in their BMW's and being charged over $6k to fix them. Just after warranty is up. I have done ALOT of research for 2 YEARS on BMW's and you would be very discouraged if you read what I have. I didn't just research on a couple internet forums. I went ALL OVER. MANY MANY people are having auto tranny problems, FAILING FUEL pumps, many having even 2-3 new fuel pumps put in. Also overheating/limp mode is still happening with people who don't track their cars. Along with all kinds of electronic problems. I will not be convinced these problems are small and just a few compared to the many happy campers. BMW's have alot more problems then the average car. I wish this wasn't true, but IT IS A FACT.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2008, 06:22 AM   #14
buckwheat986
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
There are MANY MANY people complaining about reverse going out in their BMW's and being charged over $6k to fix them. Just after warranty is up. I have done ALOT of research for 2 YEARS on BMW's and you would be very discouraged if you read what I have. I didn't just research on a couple internet forums. I went ALL OVER. MANY MANY people are having auto tranny problems, FAILING FUEL pumps, many having even 2-3 new fuel pumps put in. Also overheating/limp mode is still happening with people who don't track their cars. Along with all kinds of electronic problems. I will not be convinced these problems are small and just a few compared to the many happy campers. BMW's have alot more problems then the average car. I wish this wasn't true, but IT IS A FACT.

Your not correct when you way it has alot more problems than the average car.

They are about average in reliability compared to most other car makers.

To search the internet for problems is fine, but remember that most people posting are looking for help and hence post problems.

Your not going to see people posting that my car is running fine today.

Your data ia slanted.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2008, 06:35 AM   #15
OrientBlauZHP
1addict regardless
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckwheat986 View Post
Your not correct when you way it has alot more problems than theaverage car.

They are about average in reliability compared to most other car makers.

To search the internet for problems is fine, but remember that most people posting are looking for help and hence post problems.

Your not going to see people posting that my car is running fine today.

Your data ia slanted.
+1

I've never had a fuel pump issue in my 330, as a matter of fact this is the first time it's been in the shop for something that has nothing to with regular maintenance. The only other time she was in for something like this is when I had my suspension replaced at a shop and they didn't reconnect my auto-leveling headlights and I ran over some wood in the road - really not cool, long story.

So I would say that she has been very reliable.

:iono:
      05-21-2008, 06:58 AM   #16
IDBMW
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Quote:
Don’t keep the car out of Warranty. I think with all the electronics and technology in cars they are going to fail more. Get the extended warranty or open your wallet if you keep cars after the warranty runs out. It just like insurance.

Quote:
Quote:
JC

Most auto Manufactures have the “Secret Warranty” I had a Toyota truck with 80K miles and the engine had issues where the head gasket leaked water into the cylinder. Toyota rebuilt my engine at no charge. If anyone has a Toyota still under warranty I can hook you up with a Toyota Platinum Extended warranty from a Toyota dealer in SC for about half the price ($880 for my 2006 Tacoma) of what you would pay at the local dealership. It is a Toyota extended warranty and not some 3rd party.
      05-21-2008, 08:09 AM   #17
MVF4Rrider
PCA, BMWCCA
Rep
Drives: 997S, MV Agusta F4, E46 M3

Clearly this is just an issue with SGM 135is... ;-)
      05-21-2008, 01:04 PM   #18
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

Quote:
This has been a problem for SO LONG it pisses me FKN OFF. I have been reading about this problem for 2 YEARS.
You exaggerate. The 335 has only been out for 1.5 years. :biggrin:

I am not surprised they haven't truly fixed it, the fuel pump has the same part number (but apparently different supplier). When they redesign the pump and give it a new part number, we'll have a better chance it is fixed. Not until then...

As far as overheating/shutting down at the track, apparently it can be a coolant issue, not just an oil issue. People have been able to run the car in 3rd gear in slow corners without any overheating issue, but once they started using 2nd gear near redline the car overheated within 3-4 laps. All on otherwise stock cars.

So I guess chipping the car for more low-rev punch and using 3rd gear more should be safer than with a stock car and more use of 2nd gear. :biggrin:

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2008, 01:08 PM   #19
ChrisK
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C

Garage List
Jeff ease up on the caffeine my friend :wink: This could be an isolated incident, let's not burn our roundels yet.
      05-21-2008, 03:32 PM   #20
silverfox
Alpine White M Performance
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by plien69 View Post
Silver, what was your build date?
03-18-08.

Ob.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2008, 03:39 PM   #21
mistermojorizin
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

the last bmw SIB said the faulty fuel pump is an issue on cars manufactured up to January 08. Guess not. Damn. Thanks for sharing the info, hope it works out.

Appreciate 0
      05-21-2008, 03:42 PM   #22
TunedM2C
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 LBB M2

Don't know if it's my catback exhaust or what but I'm getting prolonged engine starts as well. On occasion mine will turn over for about 3 seconds before firing up. This started happening recently.
Appreciate 0