BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-30-2008, 09:57 AM   #1
JSC
Rep
Drives:

Smile Performance exhaust installation, easy !

As mentioned in an earlier thread, I purchased a performance exhaust from United BMW of Gwinnett. Very clean deal, discounted to $735 with shipping included. Arrived yesterday (May 29th) as promised. What arrived is a replacement muffler and a really trick clamp. This installation requires cutting the original exhaust (take care). I believe the exhaust is the same for the 135 and 128.

The installation:
Allow about 1 to 1.5 hours depending on level of ability. I spent at least 1/2 hour measuring to be sure there were no errors. The good news is that this is very easy and the result is great. This exhaust does weigh less and the outlets are larger than stock so it looks really nice and noticably different when complete.

Jack the rear up for access. Spray the two rubber hangers at the rear of the original muffler with silicone spray to allow easy removal. Also spray the supports on the new muffler for easy installation. Wrap the exhaust tips with a towel, the reason will be explained later

Measure approximately 2 and 1/8 inches from the muffler housing by the exhaust pipe inlet along the exhaust pipe. Scribe a mark on the exhaust pipe, this is where you will cut. Again this is the distance from the muffler measured on the exhaust pipe. Wrap tape around the pipe to insure a cut that is perpendicular to the axis of symmetry. If there is some error the provided clamp with allow for this.

Place a support under the muffler but dont apply pressure. Cut the exhaust with a hack saw or sawzall. I used a hack saw to allow for a slow process. There is room for either a hack saw or sawzall. Be careful not to hit the plastic under covers. When the cut is complete the muffler will want to fall and pivot towards the rear of the car. This could make the exhaust tips scrape or crack the rear valence (plastic bumper). By supporting the muffler this wont happen. The towel will be extra insurance. Dont forget to remove the vacuum tube that connects to the outside of the original muffler. That will be closed off by a solid piece on the new muffler.

Take a large flat head screwdriver and begin pushing the rubber hangers off the stainless supports. When both are about to come off, remove the outside hanger first. This will allow the muffler to rotate away from the muffler tips and prevent damage to the valence. Pivot the muffler and remove the second hanger. Notice how heavy this muffler is. Compare to the new muffler and you will see the weight savings.

Using 200 grit sandpaper smooth the edges of the exhaust pipe where cut. Notice that you could very easily replace the original exhaust if you choose.

Take the included, very trick, clamp and slide onto the existing exhaust pipe. Push on as far as possible. This will be to the point where the pipe bends. It will not be flush. Take the new muffler and rotate into place. First slide the muffler inlet into the clamp then slide the rubber hangers onto the muffler supports. The order for the rubber hangers is not critical but be careful not to hit the valence. The new muffler comes with packing over the tips and I would leave that on until the installation is complete. Now push the clamp back towards the muffler. Dont push all the way to the muffler as this will be too much. You want to be where the cut is in the middle of the clamp.

Before completely tightening the clamp, check to see if the tips are level. You can modify their position by rotating the muffler then tighten the clamps. Dont forget to connect the vacuum line from the car to the stainless rod on the new muffler. This may stretch the vacuum tube but there is some slack available.

The sound and look is really an improvement. You will notice the sound at almost all rpm's but most noticible when under load. The engine seems to rev more easily. There are other posts that have wave files of the sound.

Good luck !
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2008, 10:23 AM   #2
jb2178
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 128i

Pictures please!
      05-30-2008, 10:57 AM   #3
S54dan
I no longer work for United BMW!
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, E46 330i ZHP, E36 325i

Garage List
1994 BMW 325i  [8.50]
2005 M3  [9.66]
2005 325i  [8.00]
2003 330i ZHP  [9.00]
Awesome! I'd love it if you could take some videos and send me them! I'll post them on youtube! Can't wait to see it!
      05-30-2008, 12:34 PM   #4
backtoreality15
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSC View Post
There are other posts that have wave files of the sound.

Good luck !
I can't find any wav file posts by you. Can you direct me into the right direction? I would love to hear it. :biggrin:
      05-31-2008, 07:59 AM   #5
jbenington86
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i, 2017 Tundra

Garage List
2015 M235i  [0.00]
2008 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSC View Post

Place a support under the muffler but dont apply pressure. Cut the exhaust with a hack saw or sawzall. I used a hack saw to allow for a slow process. There is room for either a hack saw or sawzall. Be careful not to hit the plastic under covers. When the cut is complete the muffler will want to fall and pivot towards the rear of the car. This could make the exhaust tips scrape or crack the rear valence (plastic bumper). By supporting the muffler this wont happen. The towel will be extra insurance. Dont forget to remove the vacuum tube that connects to the outside of the original muffler. That will be closed off by a solid piece on the new muffler.
this is the part of buying something for $700 some dollars taking a hack saw or sawzall to my car... id screw it up somehow and kick myself in the ass for it
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2008, 09:10 AM   #6
JSC
Rep
Drives:

Hard to screw up

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbenington86 View Post
this is the part of buying something for $700 some dollars taking a hack saw or sawzall to my car... id screw it up somehow and kick myself in the ass for it
The critical part of the performance install is the proper location of the cut. If you are careful to measure the 2 and 1/8 inches from the old muffler and make a relatively square cut, there is enough slack in the system to compensate for some errors.

If you take it to the dealer you run the chance that some psudo-mechanic will cut wrong and cover up the error with the clamp.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2008, 09:37 AM   #7
jbenington86
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i, 2017 Tundra

Garage List
2015 M235i  [0.00]
2008 128i  [0.00]
if its something hard to screw up i dont have to try.... my car mechanical skills are almost nothing....i can change my own oil and do a tune-up if i can reach everything w/o taking half the car apart.... and i am able to change my breaks and rotors that my limit right now
Appreciate 0