BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-08-2008, 04:40 AM   #1
Mr_D
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 320i Executive

Ordered my Convertible!!

Greetings everyone! :smile:
I am new to this forum, but have spent a little time looking through some of the posts.

I ordered my new 1 series convertible 2 weeks ago...and am awaiting a September delivery.
I am trading in my existing 3 series sedan to take the new 1 series.

I would love to hear from anyone else out there who has had 1st hand experience with any issues, good-bad, or indifferent!

My order has these options;
18" Star spoke Alloy 264's ; Heated seats, Casmere Silver metallic paint + Beige interior; Bi-Xenon headlights + headlight washer system; Auto transmission; Chrome Exterior Pack
Im soooooooooo looking forward to taking delivery of it!!!!! :thumbup:
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2008, 05:00 AM   #2
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C HS 6MT

Hi there Kabriolett.
Congrats on your order.
So far no regrets or problems..But I am a one eyed biased BMW customer.
Having purchased new Bmw's over the past 20 years you wont regret the purchase.
Just take a seat and enjoy the wait.
I have only just taken possession of my vert two days ago and am still feeling her out.
Sydney has been under clouds of storms so the roof hasnt come off much as yet.
But will keep the forum and you posted as I progress with her.

So far the 135i M sports vert is a MACHINE...
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2008, 05:11 AM   #3
Mr_D
Private
Rep

Hey there zuzu!
Thanks for the response!

Can I ask you a couple of questions...?

-You know how they come with the mp3 aux input + usb input under the console...well, is the stereo smart enough to display what track either device in playing?
-Can you control the changing of tracks etc with the stering wheel controls?

-I read an article in this forum about the external aerial being too long - is it that much of a pain?
I thougt I also read that you can get a small variant of it too.

Ive been driving Bimmers for the last 12-13 years I think ...before my 3 series sedan, I had an '03 Z4...gorgeous engined machine...beautifully weighted I thought too.
I reall, really miss the open air driving buzz you get with cars ...so you can only imagine how much Im hanging out to take deliver of the new convertible - in September min...The waiting will be worth it Im sure
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2008, 05:42 AM   #4
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabriolett View Post
Hey there zuzu!
Thanks for the response!

Can I ask you a couple of questions...?

-You know how they come with the mp3 aux input + usb input under the console...well, is the stereo smart enough to display what track either device in playing?
-Can you control the changing of tracks etc with the stering wheel controls?

-I read an article in this forum about the external aerial being too long - is it that much of a pain?
I thougt I also read that you can get a small variant of it too.

Ive been driving Bimmers for the last 12-13 years I think ...before my 3 series sedan, I had an '03 Z4...gorgeous engined machine...beautifully weighted I thought too.
I reall, really miss the open air driving buzz you get with cars ...so you can only imagine how much Im hanging out to take deliver of the new convertible - in September min...The waiting will be worth it Im sure
1. I am sure you can control all the audio tracks on your ipod or MP3 through the steering wheel controls..I have Pro Nav so not sure.
Maybe some else on the forum can answer that for you.

2.I have ordered a 4 inch micro antenna from the US..I can send u the website later on when you r ready to order.

yeh I have always had 3 series coupes in the past..My first Vert..
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2008, 05:49 AM   #5
Mr_D
Private
Rep

Excellent!
Sure thing...if you could zap the website...that would be really good.
I'm assuming it just unscrews & you're done? The Z4 used to do that now I come to think of it.

You know, I was going to look at taking something else this time round like an Audi A5, I didn't have budget for a 5 Series...so I thought this was a good budget choice too.
Plus, I miss being in a vert. Theres nothing like driving from home to work with the roof down...kinda makes the absurd traffic over the Gladesville Bridge...Victoria Rd...Iron Cove Bridge...and Rozelle almost enjoyable!!
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2008, 05:56 AM   #6
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep

Ok..the website is http://www.bimmian.com
Yeh..it just unscrews..the 4 inch micro antenna is $25 plus shipping.

So you r a Sydney roselle/balmain boy..
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2008, 06:03 AM   #7
Mr_D
Private
Rep

Brilliant!
Cheers for that.

I live in Gladesville , but normally drive down past those areas in the morning....eventually going over the Anzac bridge.If I go the other way, our house is very close to St Joey's in Hunters Hill, so I can drive that way too but I tend to get caught in all the traffic congestion trying to get down onto the Gladesville bridge

Nevermind...a convertible makes allllll that stress melt away:thumbup:
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2008, 06:51 AM   #8
Kris
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: m3

Welcome !!

Did you get the 135i convertible?
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2008, 07:52 AM   #9
Mr_D
Private
Rep

Hi there!
Thanks for the welcome too.

I wanted the 125i Convertible, but by the time I bought that, then in auto, then with the options, it crept out of budget.
I ended up opting for the 120i.

Hey - its only 115kw, but its enough pep for me round Sydney.
(I'm beginning to wonder where on earth you can open up the taps a little in Sydney now days)

I chose to go in with the 120; vert, then option it up with the 18" Star spoke Alloy 264's ; Heated seats, Cashmere Silver metallic paint + Beige interior; Bi-Xenon headlights + headlight washer system; Auto transmission; Chrome Exterior Pack.

I got a very good overall deal through my corporate program too...so I'm a happy camper.

Im waiting until Sept for delivery & am currently driving round in my 3 series E90-its a good car, but cant beat a soft top!!
I do miss my Z4, but the added practicality of 4 seats + a decent sized boot was pretty appealing for me.
I think I was sold on the 1st test drive to be honest with the 1 series convertible.

Id test driven the VW Eos, Volvo C70, Audi A4 Convertible...but I think Im a died in the wool BMW fan from way back.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2008, 08:02 AM   #10
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep

You might of been better of stretching the budget touch and ordering a stock 125i vert..the extra power wont go astray..
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2008, 08:50 AM   #11
d3syd
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i MT, LMB, ProNav

Garage List
2008 135i Coupe  [0.00]
Congrats Kabriolett. I would tend to agree with Zuzu. I'd cut back on my options and stretch to get the 125. 115kw might prove to be a bit annoying given the weight of the car and auto transmission.

Fun Car: 135i Manual LeMans Blue / Beige Leather / Grey Poplar / pro nav / euro plates. Delivered 24 June 08
Family Car: Land Rover Discovery 4 SDV6
Spare Car:
Volvo V70 Sydney Car: MB 420SEL
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2008, 07:10 PM   #12
Kris
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: m3

Have to agree, by the time you spend the money on options you're best with the higher model. You get alot more value by doing that!
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2008, 07:17 PM   #13
Mr_D
Private
Rep

Hey there,
I know you are right - re the power increase. Cant argue with that.
Only thing is fellas, is that it adds almost another almost $10k to the sticker price & it starts creeping out of budget for me. Thats even before I start optioning it up-and you better believe I want some options The options were about $6k on top of the auto config.
I have test driven it as I was concerned about the performance a 4 cyl would offer in this car. (In fact I was pretty much sold the moment I test drove it from Sydney BMW)

Its fine for me - honestly. I'm more than happy with it. No regrets. Just inpatient now waiting for it to arrive.

The Co we Novate Lease through at work don't offer the most generous lease packages,so when I crunched the No's, this 120i vert puppy fitted right in..The plan is for me to hold this BMW vert for 3 years, then flick it.

I wasn't sure about the 18" 264's, so originally I ordered the 18" 253's - I thought the 263's looked both sportier, and also distinctly European looking. I went the 264's as the seemed to look a little more fitting on the vehicle, elegant & wouldn't be as difficult to keep clean as the 263's. It aesthetically looks as if the 264's fill out the wheel arches a little better too - even though they are the same size.Hope Ive made the right decision!:iono: Has anyone else had this "dilemma"?
18" 264's vs 18" 263's?

I really wanted to stay with the BMW marque, and was very close to taking an VW Eos, decided against it. Then came very close to settling on the Volvo C70, but both have their downfalls over the BMW 1 vert.

(Someone at the gym I go to has a 125i vert in the Montego Blue with beige interior...stunning! I had to stop and a have a look at it before I left.)
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2008, 10:31 PM   #14
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep

Mate..just making a suggestion..
If you are happy with the 120i vert, thats all that counts.
Congrats on your purchase.

You dont go to Balmain Fitness do you?
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2008, 11:38 PM   #15
Mr_D
Private
Rep

Hey again zuzu!
Its cool...all good suggestions too.:smile:

(I go to Fitness First-North Ryde.)
This is turning out to be waiting for the biggest Christmas present ever...the waiting until Sept for delivery is killing me.
You must be stoked with yours - it looks gorgeous.

You know I was concerned about leg room when I 1st say them, I'm 6ft 1", but its brilliant! Its no issue at all.
I remember with the Z4 it had such a long nose...and oodles of leg room...same thing with the 1 vert. Brilliant.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2008, 11:45 PM   #16
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep

Thanks for the compliments.
I washed her this morning and took her outside our apartment for some pix and then had my neighbour,whom I have only met once came out and took photos..

Even head room wont be problem with your height.
The vert has more headroom than the coupe in front and back.
I had my son who is 6ft 2in in the back behind my wife..
Bit cramped but fine for a short trip.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2008, 12:37 AM   #17
Mr_D
Private
Rep

Brilliant...thats good to hear then - about the leg room & head room.
I have to say I was also impressed with the quietness with the roof up - it really was very impressive. Its obviously not as good as a hard top - but its something that is remarkable none the less.
To get that sort of insulation from the good folks at Audi, you have to option up the soft top to their "acoustic lining", I think its like a triple layer arrangement, but similar to what these 1 series are offering by default it seems.

All the best
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2008, 12:41 AM   #18
Alext
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: B M W

Woohoo good on you! I do like cashmere silver! With the beige interior it will look A+
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2008, 12:50 AM   #19
Mr_D
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alext View Post
Woohoo good on you! I do like cashmere silver! With the beige interior it will look A+

Thanks Alext!

The waiting is killing me! Im like a 38 year old kid waiting for the Easter Bunny to show
The machine you have on order will be awesome too.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2008, 01:28 AM   #20
Timbo
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 135

Congrats on the order Kabriolett... definitely a good move with the beamer over the VW!

And don't worry you're not alone... I've got a september wait too.... not fun
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2008, 02:23 AM   #21
Alext
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: B M W

Thanks Kabriolett...I think our cars will be on the same boat and we will take delivery around the same time.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2008, 02:38 AM   #22
Mr_D
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbo View Post
Congrats on the order Kabriolett... definitely a good move with the beamer over the VW!

And don't worry you're not alone... I've got a september wait too.... not fun

Hey there Timbo!
Cheers!!
You, me & Alext are all waiting then for that boat in Sept then! Excellent stuff.
Looks like Christmas comes early this year for us 3 :thumbup:
Appreciate 0