BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-18-2008, 10:06 PM   #1
JB135i
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i

DIY: Fix your blacked out radio display

As some of us are aware, the radio display on our 1's can become blacked out when we wear polarized sunglasses. Here is how I cured (partially) the problem. This method was suggested by others, but those solutions didn't quite work.

The "overhead projector film" that was suggested is what I used (thanks for that by the way). But just slipping it inside the "box" of the display didn't fix the issue for me.

I noticed that the film counteracted the polarization issue better when it was held a bit further out from the actual radio display, so here is what I did.

I placed 4 self adhesive photo corners slightly outboard of the display. They hold the aformentioned overhead projector film.

Previous to this "permanent" fix I had just taped the film in place to see if it did anything weird. It didn't, although under certain circumstances it did glare quite a bit. With all the windows down and the roof open and doing, ummm, the speed limit, it fluttered some. The clarity is somewhat uneven across the full display too.

All of those issue are better than a blacked out screen though.

Before the install wash your hands thoroughly to avoid smudging the display or your film. And if your fingers are stubby with no nails like mine are, you may need a dexterous female with nails to get the sticky backing off the corners.

I bought the photo corners at Michaels Arts & Craft store.

The fix-

1. Cut your film to approximately 24mm x 180mm. I say approximately because of the variations in rulers and skill levels of cutting. I used a paper cutter with a good blade. The cutter did leave some slight marks on the film. If you can do it free hand it would likely be cleaner.

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/k...i/DSCN1111.jpg

2. Cut the clear portion of the photo corners off for a cleaner look.

3. Do a final test fit of the film. And clean the entire area with a lint free cloth.

3a. Flip the film over too, one side seems to work better than the other. Test this with your sunglasses on, YMMV.

4. Place 2 corners on one end of the film with the backing still on. Remove the backing and carefully place one end of the film in place without pressing on the corners until you are happy with the location, then press down.

5. Place the other two corners on the other end and repeat. Making sure the first side is all the way in the corners and also that there is no bowing of the film.

YOU CAN SEE CLEARLY NOW!

A couple more pics-

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/k...i/DSCN1112.jpg

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/k...i/DSCN1118.jpg
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2008, 08:48 AM   #2
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

Thanks! I wound up cutting the overhead projector film to fit against the existing display, so it looks fairly OEM, instead of having the black corners displaying on the face of the radio bezel.

I did not measure, I just cut the film using a plastic ruler as a straight edge, along with a razor knife. For size, it is just a bit bigger than the display.. no more than a MM bigger. Once I did that, I cleaned the piece with a microfibre lens cleaning cloth, and then used a blower to remove dust. I did the same to the radio display.

There's a little bit of room for the film to move around, against the existing display, concealing the edges of the film. Once I got it in place, I cleaned it again with the cloth and the blower.

It looks pretty stock, and I can see it with my sunglasses now.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2008, 12:54 PM   #3
lannypoffo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 Dodge Charger SRT8

Bringing this important topic back to the top, I might do this soon.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2008, 02:45 PM   #4
JKAWB
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 135i Black Sapphire

Wow, I am glad other people had this issue. I was stumped for 30 minutes pushing buttons trying to figure out why my radio display did not work...then i pulled my sunglasses off in a fit of rage...then i started laughing at my stupidity.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2008, 08:35 PM   #5
marius
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryn View Post
Thanks! I wound up cutting the overhead projector film to fit against the existing display, so it looks fairly OEM, instead of having the black corners displaying on the face of the radio bezel.

I did not measure, I just cut the film using a plastic ruler as a straight edge, along with a razor knife. For size, it is just a bit bigger than the display.. no more than a MM bigger. Once I did that, I cleaned the piece with a microfibre lens cleaning cloth, and then used a blower to remove dust. I did the same to the radio display.

There's a little bit of room for the film to move around, against the existing display, concealing the edges of the film. Once I got it in place, I cleaned it again with the cloth and the blower.

It looks pretty stock, and I can see it with my sunglasses now.
pics?
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2009, 04:44 PM   #6
dave eng.
Registered
Rep
Drives: montego blue 135i 2008

we need to find someone to make us some spectrally broadband half wave plates to put in there.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2009, 07:57 PM   #7
Eyeman
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 135 blk, blk, step

Garage List
I still have plenty of the overhead transparency sheets that I'll send free to anyone in need. Just PM me with your address.
Appreciate 1
      03-31-2009, 12:54 PM   #8
///M1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Many

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyeman View Post
I still have plenty of the overhead transparency sheets that I'll send free to anyone in need. Just PM me with your address.
Many thx, I'll send you my details shortly. Display is impossible to read with my Maui Jim's on!
1998 Porsche 993 C4S: Zenith Blue, last aircooled widebody, Bilstein PSS10, Fister II + Fabspeed exhaust
2008 Audi B7 RS 4: Sprint Blue, Audi Exclusive Euro Bucket Interior, Premium+Titanium, many mods
Appreciate 0