BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-21-2008, 03:45 AM   #1
jdgomez
Rep
Drives:

Maintaining the Good Condition of your Car’s Cooling System

For sure, you are responsible enough to maintain and check your car’s cooling system. But if you don’t know how to maintain it properly, your whole efforts would still be useless. With this, you should learn the techniques on how to maintain a car’s cooling system. Here are some methods you can make use to achieve it.
  • You should follow the manufacturer's recommendations as to when the radiator should be flushed. You can do this method by draining the coolant from the radiator's bottom, by flushing the core out by the use of cold water from a garden hose, and by refilling the radiator with the necessary fluid. In this way, you can avoid debris and engine deposits from gathering in the radiator since these can cause overheating in your car.
  • In maintaining the cooling system of your car, you must not forget to inspect the radiator hose. There could be leaks in the hoses whenever they become spongy, cracked or brittle, or when a bump has developed in the lining. With that, it is essential that you have an extra set of radiator hoses in your garage because it is really easy to replace hoses in the cooling system.
  • If there are water stains on its pump housing or looseness in its shaft pulley you should not forget also to check the water pump once in a while. There are two basis of water pump failure; it could be the crack developing in its seals or the damage of its bearings. By inspecting these two features, you can prevent water pump failure.
  • You should observe if there is a foamy beige residue or fluid inside the engine compartment, crankcase, and radiator. This fluid is a mixture of oil and coolant. This could also imply that there is a worn or cracked head gasket. The head gasket provides the seal between the engine block and the crankcase. When the head gasket is damaged, it can cause too much damage to the cooling system’s parts since it can heat up the engine and can melt the pistons, cylinders and valves.
  • You should look for any type of leaks in the entire cooling system of your car. You could easily spot the coolant and the anti-freeze – Particularly, these are common brightly colored fluids when they are spraying, bubbling, or dripping into your driveway.
  • You should observe for excessive rust when maintaining the car's cooling system. It is common that there are rust-colored water stains sitting at the bottom of the radiators or on the housing of water pumps. However, you should be on the lookout for rusty metal flakes or chips that indicate serious corrosion.
  • You can easily prevent overheating problems. Be responsible and be cautious of the needs of your car’s cooling system. It may not be that damaged or that dirty, but it sure needs to be checked and have the damaged parts replaced to make the whole system work best. These methods are not that complete but they can be helpful to you and your car’s cooling system. You should understand these methods, study them and put them to actual practice. Through this, you can maintain your cooling system and save money since there is no need for you to visit any mechanics just to make it work again
Source: Auto-in-Demand

Just posted here the basics. People have different opinions on what they use and how they take care of their cooling system. But I still hope this helps someone in the future.

06-21-2008, 10:47 AM   #2
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Montego/Terra

I have a better idea....I'm going to let BMW worry about my cooling system for the next 4 years!
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2008, 10:58 AM   #3
Mad Dragon
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 GTI

There is no manufacturer's recommended flush interval; the coolant is 'lifetime'.

Also, good luck finding the water pump pulley and shaft.:wink:
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2008, 11:01 AM   #4
atr_hugo
No longer moderate
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

jdg - the water pump is electrically powered on the N54. : -)
Appreciate 0