BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-23-2008, 03:48 PM   #1
EspressoBoy
1addict, and proud
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i 08

PDC module failure

Hi All,

Got the car only to have the PDC (Park Distance Control) fail due to a faulty gasket just 2 days after getting it. I was planning on posting much more info after the whole ordeal is over, but I might need some help info first.

I understand what happened (hard to get to the exact info using service associates vs speaking directly to mechanic)

1. I wanted to know if the gasket was "defective"/ wrongly installed/ there at all? etc.
2. Wanted to see the inner area to be able to check a few months/years later to see if any more water is getting in.
3. Wanted to take some pictures of the module and where it fits in, and post them.
4. Understand the whole process of replacing module and "programming it".

This is where I am stuck now. Service Associate says they need to keep it over night now to "program" the module. Anyone know much about this process?

I am told so far the wire on the left side of the trunk/boot has a gasket on the inside, it failed. I thought the module would be able to be swapped out much like a computer all within an hour. Usually for computers a module is standard, and once in (video card etc) all being the exact same, job is done. This does not seem to be the case here. Anyone know much about this?

Originally when the issue of PDC came up, I was told it's all very "simple" and easy, yet, that is clearly not the case. Parts had to be ordered from Germany and the whole process (and still not done yet) about 3 plus weeks.

I am not complaining as I can easily live without PDC, I just want the details and want to be sure I post the facts! Seems few have this option, and I bet you would all like to be able to check to make sure you don't have to go through this.

Regards,

EspressoBoy

PS
Please only give information if you really know. I am already doing (guessing) this.
I am looking for someone who has had the problem, has seen inside the area in the trunk, etc. Maybe there is a BMW Mechanic here? (dreaming???)
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2008, 08:57 PM   #2
EspressoBoy
1addict, and proud
Canada
Rep

Well thanks for all the input.

I got the car today.

Invoice states they tried twice to program the unit, first time it failed.

I got pix of the fix too. This seems so important to all of you eh? Anyway I will stick to fun stuff... Now Yoda won't get head damage; getting his head run over by the rear wheel!

Who did that song anyway? Yoda... Was that Weird Al?

Still chokes me up about George gone... man he was funny. I wonder what he would be saying about the 1 and this forum?

Does this forum have a commedian yet? That would be cool, nominate ppl for certain things...

Whiner
Loser
Luckiest
Lemon
Sexiest (girls only please)

Nominate now!

EspressoBoy & Yoda
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2008, 09:42 PM   #3
mikeo
Santa Fe Concorso
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 M-sport 328i, '13 X1 28i

Don't know if a lot of people have PDC on the the 1-Series, or if they do, have ever had any issues with it. You are out there on the bleeding edge, EspressoBoy. BTW, glad they got it fixed for 'ya.
      06-25-2008, 10:18 AM   #4
EspressoBoy
1addict, and proud
Canada
Rep

450 CAD to see behind me is worth it. I won't be the only one driving it too, so it was a good decision to get it. I-drive makes it even more special. I drove the Corolla for the last 12 years. Going to 135i was a bit more tricky. I backup like a new driver again. Practice makes perfect. A little help from i-drive monitor is nice. Good for getting in to a 6 inch space too. (not that I would want to if it were another car)

EspressoBoy & Yoda
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2008, 02:02 PM   #5
Justin(OKC)
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1988 M3, 1990 M3, 1998 M3/4

Garage List
1998 BMW M3/4  [10.00]
2011 BMW M3 Sedan  [9.28]
1988 BMW M3  [9.40]
1990 BMW M3  [10.00]
2008 BMW 135i - sold  [0.00]
2003 BMW M3 - sold  [0.00]
I haven't had any issues with mine. BTW, $350 was worth it to help insure I don't back over one of my kids :wink:
2011 BMW 328i racecar - LeMans Blue/Black
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2008, 08:45 AM   #6
EspressoBoy
1addict, and proud
Canada
Rep

Justin(OKC)
If you park out of rain you might not see the problem.

I was hoping that I could find a way to check to see if the gasket is in place. That way, I could post it so people like yourself could check yours. The gasket that was not properly inserted is on the inside. Mine was not pushed in place (in an upward motion so I am told)

Because I park outside, and lots of rain this summer, it flooded with what I was told 1/2 cup of water, that was enough to cause damage and I guess short out the module.

My suggestion to everyone who has PDC, is after it rains hard, test the PDC and make sure it's 100% working. I noticed mine was acting up a bit almost right after it rained. Because I had never had one before I didn't know exactly what to look for (New car overload). I noticed some of the sensors were not working that well. I guess each will vary.

Personally I think it's kind of silly to put a gasket/wire right in the path of where the rain flows. Anyway I hope nobody else has this problem.

EspressoBoy&Yoda
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2008, 09:05 AM   #7
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Montego/Terra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin(OKC) View Post
I haven't had any issues with mine. BTW, $350 was worth it to help insure I don't back over one of my kids :wink:

Sorry to thread jack, but I'm curious. Have you guys tested it with something the size of a small child or dog? Does it work pretty well?

I didn't opt for it on the 1 just because rear visibility isn't so bad, but I would get it on a larger car for sure if it works well.

The GF's Prius has a backup camera included in the package we got. I thought it was a pretty useless option until I had used it for a while. Now a like it a lot. I figure PDC is probably the same.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2008, 10:07 AM   #8
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

[quote=jeremyc74;188626]
I didn't opt for it on the 1 just because rear visibility isn't so bad... [quote]
While that's true for the coupe, I'm glad I ordered it on my convertible - and would recommend it to any drop-top buyer.
Tom
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2008, 10:25 AM   #9
1Ronnie
Ronnie
Canada
Rep
Drives: '08 Sedona 128i

Espressoboy, did you get PDC installed after receiving the car then, if so why did you do it?
      07-03-2008, 07:53 PM   #10
Justin(OKC)
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1988 M3, 1990 M3, 1998 M3/4

Garage List
1998 BMW M3/4  [10.00]
2011 BMW M3 Sedan  [9.28]
1988 BMW M3  [9.40]
1990 BMW M3  [10.00]
2008 BMW 135i - sold  [0.00]
2003 BMW M3 - sold  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyc74 View Post
Sorry to thread jack, but I'm curious. Have you guys tested it with something the size of a small child or dog? Does it work pretty well?

I didn't opt for it on the 1 just because rear visibility isn't so bad, but I would get it on a larger car for sure if it works well.

The GF's Prius has a backup camera included in the package we got. I thought it was a pretty useless option until I had used it for a while. Now a like it a lot. I figure PDC is probably the same.
It will pick up a curb as I back up. It works nice.
2011 BMW 328i racecar - LeMans Blue/Black
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2008, 08:58 AM   #11
EspressoBoy
1addict, and proud
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrons1969 View Post
Espressoboy, did you get PDC installed after receiving the car then, if so why did you do it?

I did it because;

1 Not very $$$
2 I am not the only driver
3 with the I-Drive it's cool (search is your bestfriend to see)
4 I drink and drive (kidding, but sometimes one is not always alert... I once was charged for hitting a cop with my car... it's a funny story and charges were dropped...) Note: Any safety device is a good investment!
5 Yoda is short and I can't always see him... ok this is getting silly... Anyway you get the picture

I ordered it with the car.

EspressoBoy & Yoda my avatar
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2008, 02:59 AM   #12
Dazza
ex-E30 psycho, part-time Ducati fiend
Australia
Rep
Drives: 125is

Picked mine up on Saturday, never tried it. Sunday, went to dealer to spend some money, almost hit the wall reversing, PDC not working. Have to take it back this week ............. great start!
E30 - 325is (sold)
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2008, 08:18 AM   #13
Mark M
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30M3 E83X3 E90335D

Maybe it is just me, but this is not a huge SUV or minivan. Why the need for some gizmo to tell ya how to park? The 1er is a small car, my little brain has to worry about drivers that need electronics to help them park such a small car. However, I have been wrong in the past, so I am sure others will educate me.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2008, 08:39 AM   #14
EspressoBoy
1addict, and proud
Canada
Rep

Mark M,

yup you are wrong.

I owned small cars in the past and usually this is true. I find the rear wheel drive makes it a bit harder. Also, when the windows are tinted, it's night, snowy or rainy, again very hard.

But more importantly do you know if your back bumper can safely go over the parking curb? The PDC lets you know this. So I have zero marks on my bumper, and I don't have to worry about damaging my muffler.

But other than that, it also helps when going backwards in my driveway, not just behind but on the sides. If there was a wall, like a garage wall, or post, the pdc would indicate how far I have. Some people have only a clearance of 2 inches/4 cm or less. Also if one has idrive, the small amount in my opinion is one of the cheapesd deals on the car.

Is it necessary to enjoy the car? No way. Does it make the car easier? Yes when backing up! Does it add weight to the car? I don't know how much.

BTW with the pdc I can park with in inches of the side and back. I know exactly how far every single time.

Oh and anyone who has pets or little people you do not have to worry about them sleeping on your driveway and running them over anymore.

How many people do you know who have killed a few cats? LOL

Roadkill is not good! Driveway kills is worse.

EspressoBoy
      11-18-2008, 08:43 AM   #15
Lester
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark M View Post
Maybe it is just me, but this is not a huge SUV or minivan. Why the need for some gizmo to tell ya how to park? The 1er is a small car, my little brain has to worry about drivers that need electronics to help them park such a small car. However, I have been wrong in the past, so I am sure others will educate me.
All it has to do is alert you once - to save backing into a parkade column, a low wall or a kid's bicycle, and it will have paid for itself. How much is a bumper or rear quarter panel repair going to cost?

The 135 does have limited rear visibility, especially at night or in poorly lit parkades. PDC will alert you if you are backing up too close to a wall (beside you), it will pick up a briefcase sitting behind the car. However, it is not designed to protect you from bad parking habits, you still have to be aware, and look around before backing up. It can't protect you from everything, but it is a nice friend, and beeps as you approach an object. When you get to within a foot, you hear a steady tone.

I have also installed a rear wireless camera, mounted on the license plate bracket, powered by the license plate lights. The screen sits in my ashtray module. I leave it on when driving, just to validate all the bogey's around me. It also helps to see what is behind when parking.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2008, 11:47 PM   #16
Dazza
ex-E30 psycho, part-time Ducati fiend
Australia
Rep
Drives: 125is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark M View Post
True in some respects. This is my first BMW in almost 10yrs (E30 psycho), never had parking sensors on any of my cars, never touched a curb 360deg. around the car, never ridden over a small animal in the driveway .... big hairy, juicy spiders down under excluded. (new immigrant to Australia). My first reverse was with 12kms on the clock, no idea of what to expect, fortunately I stopped short. Have survived forever without 'em, but if they're there, use them ........ like a drunk "person" at a party :drinking:
E30 - 325is (sold)
Appreciate 0