BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-24-2008, 09:00 PM   #1
Boosted_N54
Major
Rep
Drives: 135i N54

Exclamation ENGINE DISPLAY REDUCED POWER

with only 1070 miles on the car i go to start up the car and it gets another 3 sec delay this time after it starts the the car was reving ITSELF jumping from 1000-2500 RPM up and down up and down tandf then it goes to 800rpm and then the engine light comes on reduced power. while i was driving home the car felt like it had no turbos????

any know wtf is going on???
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2008, 09:06 PM   #2
juiced135
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

That's messed up. Why all of these problems and the motor itself has been out for a while already? I'm looking forward to my 1, not the million problems to come along with it.

Check your hoses and stuff, maybe you have boost leak? My supercharged RSX jumps RPMs because of boost leak.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2008, 09:36 PM   #3
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Montego/Terra

Sounds like maybe you have the fuel pump issue?

It feels like there are no turbos because there aren't when it goes into that mode. Get it to the dealer ASAP.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2008, 09:36 PM   #4
FibreOptix
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 335i

it's driving in "Safe Mode"

You might wanna go get that check out. Could be anything as simple as a vacuum line...
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2008, 09:43 PM   #5
mistermojorizin
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i

pretty sure its the fuel pump

"KOPEYKA" /// Titanium Silver / Black Leather / Gray Poplar / Sport Package / Premium Package / 6MT / Feb 08 Production
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2008, 09:56 PM   #6
Boosted_N54
Major
Rep

ok guys this is WEIRD i went back to my car to start it up and see if the engine light was still there and it was., Then i turn the car off and start it back on and the light was GONE. i took it around the block for a hard test drive and car was running fine i was pushing the car a lil hard on purpose to see if it would pop up again also when i took it back home. i turn off the car and start it up about 5 times repeatedly to see if the msg would pop up again and it didnt i guess its gone now???
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2008, 09:57 PM   #7
mywifestolemy1
Private
Rep
Drives:

Same problem here..

....It was apparently a faulty fuel pump. I pick my car up tomorrow so we shall see, but the mechanic has fired her up and driven her twice in the last 48 hours after replacing the pump and has had no problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermojorizin View Post
pretty sure its the fuel pump
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2008, 10:07 PM   #8
mywifestolemy1
Private
Rep
Drives:

Still need to have it looked at pronto..

....I had the same thing happen, and the mechanic did as well when he went to fix the car after the weekend. When they run a diagnostic on your ecu I am 99% certain they're gonna find lots of "faults" regardless of whether your engine light shows up or your car suddenly starts up just fine. Take it from me, you don't want to go into limp mode on the freeway cuz you wanted to believe the car just fixed itself.

The mechanic I dealt with did tell me that occasionally the fuel pressure dips because of loose fuel caps. Have you checked yours? It's doubtful this is the case, but you might want to try reinstalling your gas cap just in case....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da _Grk_Tuner View Post
ok guys this is WEIRD i went back to my car to start it up and see if the engine light was still there and it was., Then i turn the car off and start it back on and the light was GONE. i took it around the block for a hard test drive and car was running fine i was pushing the car a lil hard on purpose to see if it would pop up again also when i took it back home. i turn off the car and start it up about 5 times repeatedly to see if the msg would pop up again and it didnt i guess its gone now???
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2008, 10:52 PM   #9
Boosted_N54
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mywifestolemy1 View Post
....I had the same thing happen, and the mechanic did as well when he went to fix the car after the weekend. When they run a diagnostic on your ecu I am 99% certain they're gonna find lots of "faults" regardless of whether your engine light shows up or your car suddenly starts up just fine. Take it from me, you don't want to go into limp mode on the freeway cuz you wanted to believe the car just fixed itself.

The mechanic I dealt with did tell me that occasionally the fuel pressure dips because of loose fuel caps. Have you checked yours? It's doubtful this is the case, but you might want to try reinstalling your gas cap just in case....

when you mean my gas cap, you mean were i insert the gas pump nozzel for fuel?
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2008, 05:36 AM   #10
Mad Dragon
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 GTI

DMTL faults (gas cap) are not going to cause a car to run in failsafe mode.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2008, 06:27 AM   #11
mywifestolemy1
Private
Rep
Drives:

No, they won't...

...wrote that while in a bit of a fog so I can see why you thought I was drawing some causal conclusion. I just meant, the car is going to start acting up again inevitably and should probably be fixed before the limp mode engages on him again.
I've heard stories of this never happening again once it's happened once - that it's like a bout of indigestion that just goes away and the car performs fine without any mechanical surgery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Dragon View Post
DMTL faults (gas cap) are not going to cause a car to run in failsafe mode.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2008, 07:13 AM   #12
jbenington86
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i, 2017 Tundra

Garage List
2015 M235i  [0.00]
2008 128i  [0.00]
Gotta Love the car that knows more about whats wrong with it then you
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2008, 04:13 PM   #13
bigmicj
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i + M240iX

This may not be the same issue, but my old 318 used to have the same issue occasionally and it had to do with the Mass Air Flow sensor.

Basically, if I were to start my car up after sitting for a while (or over night) and move it like 3ft, shut it off and start it again, the "check engine" would come on and the car would be in "limp mode" until I either drove it around the block for a while or turned it off and let it sit for a little while longer.

I learned from an old E36 board posting that the DME (computer) needs time to take an accurate air/temp reading. If you interupt that process (starting the car and quickly cutting it off) it doesn't take an accurate measurment. When you do give the DME and Mass Air Flow sensor time to communicate, all is well.

Just thinking that maybe your problem is actually Air Sensor related and not fuel pump related.

Does anyone know if you can do the self diagnostic test with the 1 series?
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2008, 09:58 PM   #14
mywifestolemy1
Private
Rep
Drives:

We'll see....

I picked up my 135 and its new fuel pump today. The car has been flawless so far. Apparently the ecu readout is fault-free now. I feel as if the car is getting better fuel delivery than it was before this all happened, but that could very well just be psychological -- probably is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmicj View Post
This may not be the same issue, but my old 318 used to have the same issue occasionally and it had to do with the Mass Air Flow sensor.

Basically, if I were to start my car up after sitting for a while (or over night) and move it like 3ft, shut it off and start it again, the "check engine" would come on and the car would be in "limp mode" until I either drove it around the block for a while or turned it off and let it sit for a little while longer.

I learned from an old E36 board posting that the DME (computer) needs time to take an accurate air/temp reading. If you interupt that process (starting the car and quickly cutting it off) it doesn't take an accurate measurment. When you do give the DME and Mass Air Flow sensor time to communicate, all is well.

Just thinking that maybe your problem is actually Air Sensor related and not fuel pump related.

Does anyone know if you can do the self diagnostic test with the 1 series?
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2008, 05:41 AM   #15
Mad Dragon
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 GTI

N54s do not have mass air sensors.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2008, 11:24 AM   #16
bigmicj
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i + M240iX

Glad to read your car is better. I didn't know the 135 didn't have Air Flow sensors. Does anyone know if the 128 does or not? I assume it does.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2008, 02:57 PM   #17
Boosted_N54
Major
Rep

Quote:
I picked up my 135 and its new fuel pump today. The car has been flawless so far. Apparently the ecu readout is fault-free now. I feel as if the car is getting better fuel delivery than it was before this all happened, but that could very well just be psychological -- probably is.

thats good news. tuesday im taking my car to the dealer so they can check it out,hopefuly they fix it and wont happend again
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2008, 03:24 PM   #18
Riss Racing
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E60 M5/E92 335/HUMMER H2

BMW and the FP when will it end? Everything will work out just be happy they arn't on back order for 4 months like they were for us 335ers
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2008, 06:02 PM   #19
Boosted_N54
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony@rissracing View Post
BMW and the FP when will it end? Everything will work out just be happy they arn't on back order for 4 months like they were for us 335ers
"" when will it end??? ""

how about , how are we suppose to put down pipes and other kind modds when will still have these issues ... then the dealer will void your warranty for sure..
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2008, 11:06 PM   #20
bimmertech
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmicj View Post
Glad to read your car is better. I didn't know the 135 didn't have Air Flow sensors. Does anyone know if the 128 does or not? I assume it does.
the n54 uses two pressure sensors instead, one before and one after boost. the 128 still uses a MAF sensor.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2008, 01:29 PM   #21
mywifestolemy1
Private
Rep
Drives:

Well, things aren't all rosy....

....Yesterday, the SES light turned on again. Apparently (according to my service tech) there is still a fuel line/tank fault to be dealt with, but nothing that's going to send my car into limp mode. Then, 3 hours after talking to him, the light went off and hasn't returned. As for the performance, the car still seems to be pulling alot better than it had been before it conked out on me. The mechanic said that the high-pressure fuel pump I received is indeed an upgraded unit from the last, and not simply a replacement with the same ole crappola.

Gonna take it in on monday along with the 128 and get everything checked out, and all the minor issues (vert top "warp" on the 128, steering wheel centering on the 135, odd window quirks etc. etc.) sorted out and fixed.

First year jitters aside, it's been a blast to own both my 1s. And all the little quirks have meant I've become more intimately involved with the workings of my vehicles than I would have ordinarily. That's okay in my book; I needed a new hobby anyway.:roundel::drinking:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da _Grk_Tuner View Post
thats good news. tuesday im taking my car to the dealer so they can check it out,hopefuly they fix it and wont happend again
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2008, 07:53 PM   #22
Boosted_N54
Major
Rep

Quote:
....Yesterday, the SES light turned on again. Apparently (according to my service tech) there is still a fuel line/tank fault to be dealt with, but nothing that's going to send my car into limp mode. Then, 3 hours after talking to him, the light went off and hasn't returned. As for the performance, the car still seems to be pulling alot better than it had been before it conked out on me. The mechanic said that the high-pressure fuel pump I received is indeed an upgraded unit from the last, and not simply a replacement with the same ole crappola.

Gonna take it in on monday along with the 128 and get everything checked out, and all the minor issues (vert top "warp" on the 128, steering wheel centering on the 135, odd window quirks etc. etc.) sorted out and fixed.

First year jitters aside, it's been a blast to own both my 1s. And all the little quirks have meant I've become more intimately involved with the workings of my vehicles than I would have ordinarily. That's okay in my book; I needed a new hobby anyway.:roundel::drinking:

Funny, how i was having a problem with the 3sec delay when fireing up my car and after that check engine light was gone. it seem like i dont have any more problems or any 3sec delay when i push the start button. masybe its gone?? maybe it will come back?? .. but i am still going to the dealer for this ..

current miles -1280
Appreciate 0