BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-26-2008, 09:24 PM   #1
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Montego/Terra

A/C vent control issues...maybe?

Ok, I need some help.

I need someone to test a couple of things on their car, before I call my SA for warranty work.

First thing, with the A/C on, and the fan on high does the reciculate button make a noticable change in air flow?

Mine doesn't seem to do anything at all when the A/C button is on, but when I turn the A/C off there's a noticeable difference. You can hear the flap change positons with the A/C off, but not when it's on.

Second thing, when you press the defog button (A/C comes on automatically when you do that), does the air coming out at the windsheild get cold, like the A/C, or just a little cooler than ambient?

Mine never gets cold, even with the temp settings all the way down, and the A/C compressor running.

When I got back from a trip a couple of weeks ago, I got in the car during the afternoon, and it took forever for the A/C to get cold. I think the compressor didn't kick in at all for the first 5 mintues. I'm pretty sure that up until this point the recirc button also worked when the A/C was on.

I'm going to take the car for an oil change next week either way, and I'd just like to know for sure that what I'm seeing now is unusual.

Thanks. :roundel:
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2008, 01:06 PM   #2
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep

Bump for info?
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2008, 01:19 PM   #3
nickc
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30

Get to the dealers, sounds like a re-gas I reckon.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2008, 03:42 PM   #4
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickC View Post
Get to the dealers, sounds like a re-gas I reckon.

Why would that have any effect on the recirculation control? The A/C still gets cold.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2008, 12:19 PM   #5
nickc
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30

You said it never gets cold!
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2008, 03:09 PM   #6
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickC View Post
You said it never gets cold!

It never gets cold when it's in Defog mode. It's got something to do with the flaps that divert the air I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyc74 View Post
Second thing, when you press the defog button (A/C comes on automatically when you do that), does the air coming out at the windsheild get cold, like the A/C, or just a little cooler than ambient?

Mine never gets cold, even with the temp settings all the way down, and the A/C compressor running.

Appreciate 0
      06-28-2008, 04:40 PM   #7
jbenington86
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i, 2017 Tundra

Garage List
2015 M235i  [0.00]
2008 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyc74 View Post
It never gets cold when it's in Defog mode. It's got something to do with the flaps that divert the air I think.
im pretty sure when you are defogging the windows you dont use ice cold air....cooler air yes but im pretty sure defogging is totally different from A/C...the system wont let you defog with A/C or recirculation... it will only let you put it on one of the settings at a time
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2008, 05:25 PM   #8
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbenington86 View Post
im pretty sure when you are defogging the windows you dont use ice cold air....cooler air yes but im pretty sure defogging is totally different from A/C...the system wont let you defog with A/C or recirculation... it will only let you put it on one of the settings at a time

Every car I've ever owned used full A/C for defog, unless you turn the temperature control down. That's why when you hit the defog button, the A/C compressor is turned on. You should never defog with recirc on. It defeats the purpose of removeing moisture.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2008, 05:39 PM   #9
jbenington86
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i, 2017 Tundra

Garage List
2015 M235i  [0.00]
2008 128i  [0.00]
hahaha and every car iv owned i could change the defog to whatever temp i wanted it to be
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2008, 11:46 PM   #10
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep

Would it be possible for someone to just go out and turn the A/C on and tap the recirc button a couple of times to see what it does?

And after that, hit the defog button and see if the air coming out is as cold as the air from the front vents?

It's hard to believe that no on has the answers to these questions.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2008, 12:31 PM   #11
plien69
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i

Jeremy,

I've noticed what you've noticed: The Recirc biutton does not seem to do anything when the A/C button is on.

My theory is this: The system detects that the difference between ambient and desired temperature is large, and therefore sets the system to recirc when you turn A/C on. It probably should also light the recirc button, but my guess is the Auto recirc setting complicates things.

I came to this conclusion, because turning on A/C when recirc is off causes the fan turn off for a split second. The recirc flap probably moves at this point. Turning on A/C when the recirc is on does not cause the fan to turn off, the air just starts getting colder.

Second: when I turn on defog, my air does not get cold. I believe that the A/C compressor does not automatically turn on when you hit defog, because if I then hit the A/C button, the air coming out the top vents then gets cold.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2008, 12:44 PM   #12
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by plien69 View Post
Jeremy,

I've noticed what you've noticed: The Recirc biutton does not seem to do anything when the A/C button is on.

My theory is this: The system detects that the difference between ambient and desired temperature is large, and therefore sets the system to recirc when you turn A/C on. It probably should also light the recirc button, but my guess is the Auto recirc setting complicates things.

I came to this conclusion, because turning on A/C when recirc is off causes the fan turn off for a split second. The recirc flap probably moves at this point. Turning on A/C when the recirc is on does not cause the fan to turn off, the air just starts getting colder.

Second: when I turn on defog, my air does not get cold. I believe that the A/C compressor does not automatically turn on when you hit defog, because if I then hit the A/C button, the air coming out the top vents then gets cold.

Thanks for the info. When I turn on defog I'm sure the A/C comes on. The light in the button lights up, and I can hear the compressor engauge.

So, it sounds like either nothing is wrong with my car, or we both have the same issues :thumbup:

I'm thinking about taking it to the dealer and letting them look at it anyway, just to be sure. Maybe it's a software thing.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2008, 12:47 PM   #13
plien69
Captain
Rep

Hmm. Weird. My A/C button does not light up when I turn on defog. :iono:
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2008, 01:41 PM   #14
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Hmm. Weird. My A/C button does not light up when I turn on defog. :iono:

I'll double check this, but I'm pretty sure it does.

Just to make sure we're on the same page, I'm talking about when the system is completely off, and I hit the defog button on the right hand side, not just the dash vents (which are on the left).
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2008, 01:59 PM   #15
plien69
Captain
Rep

Yes, I'm talking about the same front windshield defog button on the top right. However, in my testing I activated it during normal Auto mode operation with the A/C button off. I did not test it from a completely off scenario.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2008, 02:20 PM   #16
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yes, I'm talking about the same front windshield defog button on the top right. However, in my testing I activated it during normal Auto mode operation with the A/C button off. I did not test it from a completely off scenario.

I'll check it both ways after work, but I'm positive it comes on any time I press that button.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2008, 04:58 PM   #17
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep

Ok, pressing the defog button on the right hand side definatly turns the A/C compressor on in my car, whether it's on or off to begin with.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2008, 06:39 PM   #18
Mad Dragon
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 GTI

Quote:
It probably should also light the recirc button, but my guess is the Auto recirc setting complicates things.
Auto recirc keeps the car in fresh air mode until certain gasses (ever pass by a farm?) are detected by the AUC sensor. Then it goes into recirc mode.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2008, 11:19 PM   #19
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Dragon View Post
Auto recirc keeps the car in fresh air mode until certain gasses (ever pass by a farm?) are detected by the AUC sensor. Then it goes into recirc mode.

That still doesn't explain why it won't go from fresh air to recirc mode while the A/C compressor is on. I've never owned a car that I couldn't select fresh air while the A/C was running, and I can't believe that the button does nothing. :iono:
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2008, 11:55 PM   #20
airrek
no chrome on the wheels
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 HS

i am w/plien69 on this: my a/c does NOT turn on when turning on the defog (and i use manual climate ctrl mode, not auto). And I've also been finding that air temp coming out of the windshield defrosters consistently WARM even if i intentionally turn on a/c - basically i am driving around w/an unclearable foggy windshield.

man, i wish i werent coming to 1addicts just to complain about stuff but at least it's an exchange of common issues! i just posted about my &%&#! 3rd brakelight *feh*
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2008, 02:33 AM   #21
JME
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
The A/C kicks on because the air conditioning will remove moisture from the air. The reason it is not cold is because the heater is adding more warm air to compensate for the A/C on.

You should always have the A/C when trying to defog. It will work much faster. If you are having problems with fogging up you can try just keeping your A/C on all the time (you can still adjust the temperature to warm settings, just cause the A/C is on does not mean you can't have warm air) and a lot of the moisture that is trapped in the car will eventually disappear and the windows should not fog as easily.

Or you can keep your windows open a notch while driving, especially with passengers.
Appreciate 0