BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-02-2008, 07:16 PM   #1
SG135i
Registered
Rep
Drives:

135i back from the shop - Faulty EKP Module

My 135i spent last 9 days at the shop for a faulty "control unit for electric fuel pump" (EKP Module).

About over two weeks ago I noticed that after shuting engine down there was a sound coming from underneath and towards the rear part of the car. It was best noticed if I would put my ear between the fender and the front part of any of the rear tires. This sound could be better heard in a quiet garage, and it was like a pump running, which was later confirmed to be the electric fuel pump making the sound. This pump is not the high press fuel pump.

The sound would last for 30 minutes after turning engine off as long as the remote was not used to lock/unlock doors. One day after about two hours of getting home from work I had to take something out of the car. After I locked the car, there goes this sound again; it ran for another 30 minutes. I discovered that I could get this thing running whenever I wanted as long as the car was still warm. In the mornings this would not happen.

Took it to the dealer and after one day at the shop they said they were not able to replicate the failure; that it was a pump priming the fuel system. At this point I asked the foreman why it does not do it in the morning or when the car has cooled down. Should not it prime the system at this point? he went hmmmm...

We took one demo for a ride and there were no sounds after the drive so they decided to look more into it and it turned out that the control unit for the electric fuel pump was faulty. The faulty nodule did not log any codes in the car's ECU but it did with the diagnostic tool. Took the car back home today and seems to be fine now; at least the pump did not work the overtime after driving from delaer to my house.

Looks like just one of those things that happen; apparently nothing to worry about.

Thanks
Appreciate 0