BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-07-2008, 03:22 AM   #1
Joey_T
That's me...
Rep
Drives: 135i

Wind noise from side window

Lately I found that there is quite a lot of wind noise around side windows at speeds above 110 km/h (65 mph). So I was checking the rubber seal around windows and noticed that the window when closing the door goes directly into a rubber and "deforming or squeezing it". Is this the way it is supposed to be or should it go past the rubber? I'll try to post a pic latter, I don't have a camera with me at work.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2008, 08:38 AM   #2
JC Jai
E.I.T
Rep
Drives:

hmmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey View Post
Lately I found that there is quite a lot of wind noise around side windows at speeds above 110 km/h (65 mph). So I was checking the rubber seal around windows and noticed that the window when closing the door goes directly into a rubber and "deforming or squeezing it". Is this the way it is supposed to be or should it go past the rubber? I'll try to post a pic latter, I don't have a camera with me at work.
I'm not sure if my issue is the same but yea lately I've notice some whistling from the driver side window when the windows are closed, at speeds upwards of 80 KM/h. Getting pretty annoying.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2008, 01:14 PM   #3
one-35
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW e92 M3

: Do a search on 'whistling' or 'clear bra whistle' (although it's NOT cause by clear bra) in the forums. There are several posts about this whistling wind noise.

The mirror cap has a design flaw that causes the whistling. My 135i is actually at BMW Service now for this issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC Jai View Post
I'm not sure if my issue is the same but yea lately I've notice some whistling from the driver side window when the windows are closed, at speeds upwards of 80 KM/h. Getting pretty annoying.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2008, 01:20 PM   #4
EspressoBoy
1addict, and proud
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i 08

let us know how that goes for the whistle. I am one of those people. I did not hear the whistle when it was just part of the clearbra on the mirror. I complained that they didn't cover the whole mirror back and they added another piece. After that I really noticed the whistle. When I just put my hand other the back of the mirror going 120km it stops. So I am still not sure it's caused by a defective mirror or design flaw. Yet to test.

I have noticed my driving has become a bit more with attitude and a cop drove right beside me yesterday. He had like 2 car lenths ahead of him. I didn't look at him as I am sure he was going to blast me for attitude. So I am going to relax a bit and maybe use the 120 whistle as a reminder to slow down. I have a 7 star rating on my ins and zero speeding tickets for like 15 years.

EspressoBoy
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2008, 01:44 PM   #5
spongeWorthy
Private
Rep
Drives:

I've noticed a lot of wind noise from my drivers side window lately as well.
i haven't taken a close look at it, but its beginning to really annoy me.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2008, 01:46 PM   #6
EspressoBoy
1addict, and proud
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i 08

do you have clearbra on the back of your mirror spongeWorthy?
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2008, 01:57 PM   #7
spongeWorthy
Private
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EspressoBoy View Post
do you have clearbra on the back of your mirror spongeWorthy?
no i don't have a clear bra at all.
and i don't hear any whistle really.
more just wind noise, sounds like the window isn't completely closed.
as in a bad seal.

but i'll have to take a closer look at it.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2008, 02:06 PM   #8
mistermojorizin
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

i have the same exact situation as spongeWorthy. i took it to the dealer and they said the windnoise was within spec. my vette had the windnoise, the dealer would tighten the window and it'd get a little better, but never went away. my g35 had very little windnoise, it was very nice.

"KOPEYKA" /// Titanium Silver / Black Leather / Gray Poplar / Sport Package / Premium Package / 6MT / Feb 08 Production
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2008, 12:41 AM   #9
Joey_T
That's me...
Rep

I have the exact situation as spongeWorthy described. No clearbra, no wistle, just wind noise around windows. It gets worse with crosswinds. Could someone check the seal how it looks like when doors are closed - does the window go directly into a seal? Just look how the window closes and you'll see what I mean.

i have an appointment at my dealership on monday. Hopefully they'll be able to do something.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2008, 12:55 PM   #10
UR2SLOW1
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Keep us posted on your situation as there are many of us having the same problem and BMW dealers us off by saying "everything is withing spec". It's kind of a load of crap on a car this expensive.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2008, 09:01 PM   #11
JTdrivin1
1 Love
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i 6MT

i thought i remember a previous thread that stated that you had to roll the window down ever so slightly, and then the wind noise would go away. i heard some wind noise today, but just cranked the music louder....
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2008, 10:44 PM   #12
JC Jai
E.I.T
Rep
Drives:

so what is the clear bra on the mirror ??

Like the 3M stuff on the mirror caps ? I do have 3M on the mirror caps, but I highly doubt that would cause wind noise especially I'm sure that everyone has 3M done a little differently on their mirror caps...
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2008, 02:56 PM   #13
Joey_T
That's me...
Rep

Some info: today I took my car to the dealer for them to have a look at this issue. They gave me a loaner 1 series hatchback model (doesn't have frameless front windows)... Well you should have heard wind noise in that car - it was like 10 times worse. As I suspected they said that everything is within spec and if they would try to "calibrate" the angle of windows then this would probably result in water leaks. I tried to lubricate seals with some glicerine which (at least) keeps rubber look "more fresh" - and maybe this also reduced a noise for just a tiny bit as well (mind you it could also be just a placebo :biggrin. If someone has some other suggestions, don't keep them to yourself and let us other 1 addicts know. Just thinking...maybe the solution would be to add another very thin layer of rubber to existing seal.

Good day to you all :smile:
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2008, 06:55 PM   #14
mistermojorizin
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTdrivin1 View Post
i thought i remember a previous thread that stated that you had to roll the window down ever so slightly, and then the wind noise would go away. i heard some wind noise today, but just cranked the music louder....
tried it, didn't work

"KOPEYKA" /// Titanium Silver / Black Leather / Gray Poplar / Sport Package / Premium Package / 6MT / Feb 08 Production
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2008, 06:58 PM   #15
mistermojorizin
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey View Post
Some info: today I took my car to the dealer for them to have a look at this issue. They gave me a loaner 1 series hatchback model (doesn't have frameless front windows)... Well you should have heard wind noise in that car - it was like 10 times worse. As I suspected they said that everything is within spec and if they would try to "calibrate" the angle of windows then this would probably result in water leaks. I tried to lubricate seals with some glicerine which (at least) keeps rubber look "more fresh" - and maybe this also reduced a noise for just a tiny bit as well (mind you it could also be just a placebo :biggrin. If someone has some other suggestions, don't keep them to yourself and let us other 1 addicts know. Just thinking...maybe the solution would be to add another very thin layer of rubber to existing seal.

Good day to you all :smile:
in my vette i had a removable roof, so the seal was not perfect. when i'd complain to the dealer they would "tighten the window" and it would cause the noise to decrease but it never completely solved the problem. but that may be expected with a removeable roof. funny how chevy service is actually better than bmw service, because they would actually listen to what the customer said (without having to reproduce the defect themselves, since they wouldn't drive it over 65). bmw just said "its in spec." Then i had the g35 that had frameless doors also, but had 0 wind noise. funny how infiniti quality is better than bmw quality.

Appreciate 0
      08-12-2008, 01:26 AM   #16
Joey_T
That's me...
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermojorizin View Post
in my vette i had a removable roof, so the seal was not perfect. when i'd complain to the dealer they would "tighten the window" and it would cause the noise to decrease but it never completely solved the problem. but that may be expected with a removeable roof. funny how chevy service is actually better than bmw service, because they would actually listen to what the customer said (without having to reproduce the defect themselves, since they wouldn't drive it over 65). bmw just said "its in spec." Then i had the g35 that had frameless doors also, but had 0 wind noise. funny how infiniti quality is better than bmw quality.
I tottaly agree with you regarding bmw service. My opinion is that the window would need just a tiny correction in adjustment so that it would seal better. If you lets say take a paper money, put it on top of the window and close the door, you will be able to take it out without too much effort. I mean if the seal was perfect you would tear your money into two pieces.

The other day I've driven an M6 on the autobahn. And even in a car that represents the top of bmw range there was quite a lot of wind noise coming in...
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2008, 01:28 AM   #17
Joey_T
That's me...
Rep

Quote:
tried it, didn't work
x2
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2008, 05:12 PM   #18
JC Jai
E.I.T
Rep
Drives:

yea must be something with the design

window wide open and I can still hear the whistling sound. GONNA BE F***ing annoying driving on highways
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2008, 06:03 PM   #19
mistermojorizin
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
window wide open and I can still hear the whistling sound. GONNA BE F***ing annoying driving on highways
i think if the window created a good seal with the car, we wouldn't hear it with the window rolled up.

Appreciate 0
      08-14-2008, 08:57 PM   #20
JC Jai
E.I.T
Rep
Drives:

wide open or not

Quote:
i think if the window created a good seal with the car, we wouldn't hear it with the window rolled up.
that's what i'm trying to point out... I could hear the whistling sound with window roll up or down, so it probably isn't the seal and something with the aerodynamics

oops I misunderstood you, what you saying is true but then sometimes you just wanna roll with the windows down, which then will become very annoying
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2008, 06:41 PM   #21
mchaskell
Traveler
Rep

I just noticed that my car at about 5 months old is starting to make more wind noise at speed. I am betting that the seals are taking a set from the windows being closed all the time and do not quite have the same tension against the glass they had when new.
      08-17-2008, 06:37 PM   #22
one-35
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW e92 M3

Quote:
JC Jai... : on 'whistling'.

I wrote several posts on what is causing this. It is caused by a bad design of the mirror caps; however, there is enough variation... car-to-car, that some people don't experience the whistling. That's German engineering for you.

You should complain to your Service Advisor, and ask him to try swapping out your mirror caps for new ones. The assembly tolerance may make it go away.

If you want a PERMANENT fix to the mirror whistling, then fill (with silicone or tape) the groove between the painted cap and black plastic rim behind it. You only need to fill the groove on the bottom portion of the mirror.

There is a pressure cavity forming there where turbulent air 'whistles'.
I am an aeronautical engineer and have conducted my own tests on my mirror.
Appreciate 0